Falkirk v St Mirren Championship 15/4/17

shull

Can someone name me a St Mirren keeper in the last fifteen years who didn't have a shortcoming in their game? I agree on one thing about O'Brien - he doesn't come off his line to deal with some situations that the defenders in front of him expect him to. Surely Langfield is employed at the club now specifically to work on this sort of stuff with the goalies!

Langfield's shortcoming was/is clearly moments of dreadul decision making. Chris Smith's kick-outs were shit.... etc, etc.

We cannot afford to sign a Buffon or Casillas..  I reckon O'Brien is decent. 

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Can someone name me a St Mirren keeper in the last fifteen years who didn't have a shortcoming in their game? I agree on one thing about O'Brien - he doesn't come off his line to deal with some situations that the defenders in front of him expect him to. Surely Langfield is employed at the club now specifically to work on this sort of stuff with the goalies!

Langfield's shortcoming was/is clearly moments of dreadul decision making. Chris Smith's kick-outs were shit.... etc, etc.

Yeah , so do I . The save he had yesterday at the feet of the Falkirk player when he was one on one was class . He could have easily mistimed it and got sent off . 

When I went to the U20s games at the start of the season Magennis was outstanding as a holding midfielder who would burst forward with some great runs. He certainly wasn't playing right side as we had McAllister there. 

Even when he broke into the first team he was playing centre mid alongside Mallan, it's really only since McAllister left that Magennis has made the right mid position his own. 

He's been tremendous recently, I don't know what his contract situation is but i'd hope the club get him signed up on the longest deal allowed.

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

personally thought Craig "Hinchy" Hinchcliffe was a great keeper for us, don`t recall many shortcomings and I believe he was under 6ft too !!

10 minutes ago, munoz said:

Yeah , so do I . The save he had yesterday at the feet of the Falkirk player when he was one on one was class . He could have easily mistimed it and got sent off . 

It was also very brave.

He's young yet, when the accepted wisdom tends to be that keepers are at their prime in their late 20s, and even into their 30s.

I like his passion, too. He strikes me as a player who wants to better himself. He has embraced the club, and tries his best. My guess would be that he will improve month by month.

The defender behind Billy (can't recollect whether is was Baird or McKenzie) hesitated a wee bit allowing the ball to be cut back. It should just have been hoofed out of play. Maybe Billy should have attacked the ball more but he wasn't the only one that contributed to the loss of the first gaol.

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The defender behind Billy (can't recollect whether is was Baird or McKenzie) hesitated a wee bit allowing the ball to be cut back. It should just have been hoofed out of play. Maybe Billy should have attacked the ball more but he wasn't the only one that contributed to the loss of the first gaol.

Thats how I seen it. I think the blame lies with the defender.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Thats how I seen it. I think the blame lies with the defender.

Incident happened right in front of me. IMO Baird was at fault. The bud next to me reckons the ball did go over the bye line before it was crossed but I'm not so sure. Falkirk player worked hard for it. Baird was too slack and O'Brien didn't have much chance. It was a well taken goal. 

:withstupid

Clear yir lines

I can't really remember a 'keeper that we've had over the past few years that I've felt completely comfortable with, for one reason or another.

Yes, O'Brien, like previous incumbents, has his faults and I'd like a better 'keeper. However, we are where we are and beggars can't be choosers.

However, I would think that the manager will have his eye on another first choice 'keeper for next season, whether we avoid relegation or not.

I doubt O'Brien would be keen to hang around to play second fiddle to another 'keeper.

The manager might believe that he's shown enough to be kept on and to be installed as first choice for next season.

Whatever the outcome, I'm sure we'll give the manager's choice our full support.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Dillio and Samson are the best of recent years. Both not perfect. 

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

When I went to the U20s games at the start of the season Magennis was outstanding as a holding midfielder who would burst forward with some great runs. He certainly wasn't playing right side as we had McAllister there. 

Even when he broke into the first team he was playing centre mid alongside Mallan, it's really only since McAllister left that Magennis has made the right mid position his own. 

He's been tremendous recently, I don't know what his contract situation is but i'd hope the club get him signed up on the longest deal allowed.

Think he signed an extension to 2019 earlier this season.

9 minutes ago, insaintee said:

Dillio and Samson are the best of recent years. Both not perfect. 

I liked Dilo too, but he didn't play very much before his off field meltdown.

Kello was great when we first signed him, but eventually turned into a bomb scare.

Samson was a very good 'keeper, but I always felt that he was one step away from making a howler.

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

So you think that O'Brien is a commanding keeper then ?. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. For me he is non existant with balls into the box, he constantly spills the ball and his decision making can be overall quite poor. As I say I don't rate him and would definitely be looking for another keeper next season.

Goram was an exception. O'Brien and Goram in the same sentence doesn't make sense.

Billy O’Brien

First off I think O’Brien is worth keeping if we can.

That said I can be quite nervous watching him. He seems to think he can dribble and kick a ball. A lot of the time he can but some of his kicks do go astray. Take yesterday for example. I think Irvine stole the ball from a Falkirk winger but couldn’t get forward and did some fancy footwork to escape his assailant and pass back to O’Brien who just hoofed the ball out the park at the point where Irvine had won it. Irvine could have done the same and must have though what was the Fecking point of that. I did.

Also he can be slow to throw the ball out but other times he just throws it to the opposition. Raith Rovers what a howler! Sometimes his floundering about merits the Billy the fish tag.

He’s inexperienced but I think he still merits a run in the first team. He has made some great saves and experience will bring confidence which will bring a commanding presence and improved performance.

I vote to keep him if we can.

Stick with the Fish

32 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Incident happened right in front of me. IMO Baird was at fault. The bud next to me reckons the ball did go over the bye line before it was crossed but I'm not so sure. Falkirk player worked hard for it. Baird was too slack and O'Brien didn't have much chance. It was a well taken goal. 

Clear yir lines

It was right in front of me also, and that's exactly how I seen it no fault of O'Brien at all, I actually thought the Falkirk player 

had over hit the freekick and I gave a sarcastic cheer, only for the ball to hit the back of our net 2 seconds later, needless 

to say I felt like a right tit...

7 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

It was right in front of me also, and that's exactly how I seen it no fault of O'Brien at all, I actually thought the Falkirk player 

had over hit the freekick and I gave a sarcastic cheer, only for the ball to hit the back of our net 2 seconds later, needless 

to say I felt like a right tit...

Was it not McKenzie trying to usher the ball out and Miller nicked it.

Miller and Baird are both skilled in the dark arts and their movement is great

Not that Bairns see it that way

3 minutes ago, Eaglesham saint said:

Was it not McKenzie trying to usher the ball out and Miller nicked it.

Miller and Baird are both skilled in the dark arts and their movement is great

Not that Bairns see it that way

Mute point. Probably well Made. Key fact is O'Brien had no chance.

Baird, McKenzie whatever!!!

4 hours ago, Hambud said:

At firsr he didn't appear to be as "hot a prospect" as the other kyle (mccallister) when they broke into the team together. The other kyle stood out probably because of his pace but young McGennis is growing as a player and is exciting to watch, he's using tricks to get by folk and has managed to grab a couple of goals recently. He also seems very disciplined with a great work rate.

Not sure if its a young Paul Lambert or a young Ryan Giggs (ok maybe a bit too far) that he reminds me of seeing as he has similar attributes to both of them.

Anyway you could turn part of your story into a Kyle McGennis song, but I'll leave that to you emoji6.png

He just a young Kyle Mcgennis 

Hollz has posted mobile footage of the McGinn goal on Twitter - sadly, I feature in the goal celebrations, but that takes nothing away from a sensational hit. Well, it doesn't take too mich away....

Sorry, I've no idea how to post it here.

Edited by Drew

42 minutes ago, Drew said:

Hollz has posted mobile footage of the McGinn goal on Twitter - sadly, I feature in the goal celebrations, but that takes nothing away from a sensational hit. Well, it doesn't take too mich away....

Sorry, I've no idea how to post it here.