New Saints mural

I posted a picture on the SMiSA thread of the new Saints mural in Brown's Lane - however, I was unaware when I saw it last week it was a work in progress.

The tweets below have just popped up on my timeline. Looks good :)

Edited by Stu

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

Do my eyes deceive me, or has that wee fud Chick got his mug in?

Aye...myself and my aunt were walking down the lane and I got awfy excited and went and gave the badge a hug...as you do...and she said oh watch wee chick is behind you...I think my words were 'why the feck is he there'...then I forgot all about it cos well we had had a few

43 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The new St Mirren muriel is finished....

muriel.jpg

This will only click with members of a certain vintage, but very well done indeed. Superbly realised, and the ducks in their rightful place is a nice touch.

Edited by Drew

On 06/04/2017 at 11:47 AM, Drew said:

Do my eyes deceive me, or has that wee fud Chick got his mug in?

On 07/04/2017 at 4:33 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Your eyes do not deceive you, quite unbelievable.

Had an hour to kill between the end of the game yesterday and a hospital visit so went for a wander and located the mural.

Good way to use up some of the time and got a few good photos with the wee guy pretending to hold the cup etc. I got the chance to explain who all the guys in '87 section were.

I was also dumbfounded to see a big cheesy Chick Young looking back at me. His is the single biggest image of any individual on the whole mural - on a par with the St Mirren badge and the larger depiction of the Scottish Cup!

I'm not a Chick Young hater - We all know (ok - are 'pretty sure') that he is a Rangers fan with St Mirren sympathies - but any publicity is good publicity, so I don't really have any great  beef with him.

That said - he does not warrant such a prominent place in a mural of St Mirren's recent history. One of the 1987 heroes would have been better served there. Alex Smith? Ian Ferguson? Fitzy? What about extending it to 2013 - Danny Lennon? Thommo? Almost anyone would be a better fit for such a large section of the mural. 

Think it's an absolute disgrace that Chick Young is part of this mural and it's totally spoiled what is a wonderful piece of art. If he had to be part of it he should have been less prominent. No doubt his oversized ego is has just exploded. What was the artist thinking of. South side Bud is right there are far more deserving legends who should have been included. 

10 hours ago, renfrew bud said:

Think it's an absolute disgrace that Chick Young is part of this mural and it's totally spoiled what is a wonderful piece of art. If he had to be part of it he should have been less prominent. No doubt his oversized ego is has just exploded. What was the artist thinking of. South side Bud is right there are far more deserving legends who should have been included. 

In fairness to the artist it seems he was only painting what he was told to paint: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/paisleys-scottish-cup-heroes-work-10180870

"We painted Chick because he’s probably the most famous supporter and Jackie because he was always my favourite Saints player."

Search on for artists to produce Paisley Gilmour Street Railway Station artworks

Paisley’s vibrant art scene has been called upon to produce artworks for four walls inside the town’s main train station.

Paisley First would like to commission four artists to produce separate artworks for the walls on the corridors to Platforms 1 to 4 in Paisley Gilmour Street Railway Station.

Search on for artists to produce Paisley Gilmour Street Railway Station artworks

Each wall is approximately 7m in length and 2m in height.

Artists will be able to design, project manage and deliver an original high quality art work that will have a positive impact on the town and will engage those using the station.

Paisley First Chairman Ian Henderson said: “More than four million passengers pass through Gilmour Street, the town’s largest railway station, every year.

“We are looking for artists who can design and produce a high quality artwork that reflects Paisley’s vibrant culture using rail travel as a point of departure.

“The aim is to provide a welcoming environment for people using the station, brighten up a long corridor and to engage travellers.”

img_0578.jpg?width=500&height=375

The project is on track thanks to the support of station managers the ScotRail Alliance.

Heather Collins, the ScotRail Alliance’s Station Manager for Paisley, said: “I look forward to seeing the submissions from Paisley’s arts community. The station is such a central hub and reflecting the cityscape in murals around it is a great way to tell Paisley’s story to the millions of users.”

If you are interested in transforming this space into something amazing, then all you need to do is submit a sketch and a completed application form, please visit the Paisley First website www.paisleyfirst.com for more details.

Proposals can be handed into the Paisley First office no later than 30th April 2017 or alternatively, artists can send their proposals electronically to [email protected] .

Entrants must either work or live in Paisley, or have prominent links to the town.

Chick's absolutely superb ' LOVE STREET STORY ' on Radio Scotland entitles him to be on the Mural. 

Some may not like him, but I have no problem with Chick being there. 

He is one of us. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Paisley’s vibrant art scene has been called upon to produce artworks for four walls inside the town’s main train station.

Paisley First would like to commission four artists to produce separate artworks for the walls on the corridors to Platforms 1 to 4 in Paisley Gilmour Street Railway Station.

Each wall is approximately 7m in length and 2m in height.

Artists will be able to design, project manage and deliver an original high quality art work that will have a positive impact on the town and will engage those using the station.

Paisley First Chairman Ian Henderson said: “More than four million passengers pass through Gilmour Street, the town’s largest railway station, every year.

“We are looking for artists who can design and produce a high quality artwork that reflects Paisley’s vibrant culture using rail travel as a point of departure.

“The aim is to provide a welcoming environment for people using the station, brighten up a long corridor and to engage travellers.”

img_0578.jpg?width=500&height=375

The project is on track thanks to the support of station managers the ScotRail Alliance.

Heather Collins, the ScotRail Alliance’s Station Manager for Paisley, said: “I look forward to seeing the submissions from Paisley’s arts community. The station is such a central hub and reflecting the cityscape in murals around it is a great way to tell Paisley’s story to the millions of users.”

If you are interested in transforming this space into something amazing, then all you need to do is submit a sketch and a completed application form, please visit the Paisley First website www.paisleyfirst.com for more details.

Proposals can be handed into the Paisley First office no later than 30th April 2017 or alternatively, artists can send their proposals electronically to [email protected] .

Entrants must either work or live in Paisley, or have prominent links to the town.

The highlighted part is, I think, very important if St Mirren go ahead with anything like this.

Keep it as local as possible.

I've no personal beef about Chick being featured either, just seems a strange choice and the overall size of it in relation to the rest of the mural too ? Maybe a generic bunch of fans faces or a classic iconic player picture, such as the 'Thommohawk' or one of the other league or cup wins from the club's entire history. Also, the choice of Brown's Lane feels to me like sticking it out the way a bit. It's not exactly high on the list of 'bustling throughfares' is it ?

2 hours ago, FS said:

I've no personal beef about Chick being featured either, just seems a strange choice and the overall size of it in relation to the rest of the mural too ? Maybe a generic bunch of fans faces or a classic iconic player picture, such as the 'Thommohawk' or one of the other league or cup wins from the club's entire history. Also, the choice of Brown's Lane feels to me like sticking it out the way a bit. It's not exactly high on the list of 'bustling throughfares' is it ?

With Chick's ugly mug on it, the further out the way the better.