Jack Ross - Manager of the Month

A completely deserved award - a look at the form table made that decision a no brainer.

As others have said we are playing some pretty decent football and when I see us go forward now, I feel realistic confidence that we are going to create something.

Compare the youtube highlights from earlier on in the season to those of the recent games (particularly the 2-0 at home against hibs and the 6-2 on Saturday); what is greatly satisfying is the verve and skill on display - all the wee tricks at speed, the close control, the tight passing, the fancy footwork - but all acutally leading to something. More than that we are all now expecting it to lead to something.

Expectation is high but delivery on said expectation is sound.  :D

Now, hopefully. we will avoid the ancient MOTM curse :unsure:

Edited by southsidebud

27 minutes ago, lovestreet said:

Didn't look that way yesterday,strange substitutions

Didn't think any of subs were strange. Stelios was walking the tightrope on a yellow and continually niggling with their number 23. Todd came on and made a good impact, nearly got the winner but for a fine stop and Gordon was enforced by Eckersly's red card.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Didn't think any of subs were strange. Stelios was walking the tightrope on a yellow and continually niggling with their number 23. Todd came on and made a good impact, nearly got the winner but for a fine stop and Gordon was enforced by Eckersly's red card.

I see what Lovestreet means. Not so much the personnel but who for who. Tthe substitution of Stelios for Sutton was strange. I thought Demetriou should have been replaced but why Sutton? Todd would have been the a better option.

Edited by stlucifer

4 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I see what Lovestreet means. Not so much the personnel but who for who. Tthe substitution of Stelios for Sutton was strange. I thought Demetriou should have been replaced but why Sutton? Todd would have been the a better option.

Because a change of shape and tactic was required to try and get the upper hand against a packed Dumbarton midfield and defence. We couldn't get around them so why not try going over them?

Just now, BuddieinEK said:

Because a change of shape and tactic was required to try and get the upper hand against a packed Dumbarton midfield and defence. We couldn't get around them so why not try going over them?

Which meant we went from a relatively poor left midfield to none at all. It also gave Dumbarton even more control in the middle of the park and left Eckersley with a hell of a lot more to do culminating, at least in part, in him taking a chance to stop an attack in a rash manner, re. the sending off. if Todd had come on we might have got more to the front two on the park.

Just now, stlucifer said:

Which meant we went from a relatively poor left midfield to none at all. It also gave Dumbarton even more control in the middle of the park and left Eckersley with a hell of a lot more to do culminating, at least in part, in him taking a chance to stop an attack in a rash manner, re. the sending off. if Todd had come on we might have got more to the front two on the park.

Possibly. Possibly not.

I see your thinking and hindsight is a great thing.

Had the penalty gone in or their keeper not pulled off a great save from that late Todd screamer we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Had Todd started instead of Stelios we may well have done better... but how many of us would have supported that beforehand?

Before the game? Certainly NOT me. But I honestly was asking for it after 25 minutes as Stelios' starting position meant he was waiting for the ball and not running onto it which seemed to be detrimental to his performance. You're right. Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing and the penalty was a factor. I just believe we had a plan A which would have worked if the players were on form. IMHO, lumping the ball up to Sutton would have been reasonable if we were struggling after 75-80 minutes. Not throwing it out after less than an hour.

1 hour ago, lovestreet said:

Didn't look that way yesterday,strange substitutions

More strange is the fact you can not read the game.  We should be happy to be off the bottom of the league a remarkable achievement at least for me. However yesterday's game felt more like a defeat. On another day that penalty and Todd's shoot would have went in. 

Before the game? Certainly NOT me. But I honestly was asking for it after 25 minutes as Stelios' starting position meant he was waiting for the ball and not running onto it which seemed to be detrimental to his performance. You're right. Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing and the penalty was a factor. I just believe we had a plan A which would have worked if the players were on form. IMHO, lumping the ball up to Sutton would have been reasonable if we were struggling after 75-80 minutes. Not throwing it out after less than an hour.

Agree totally about Stelios.

If deployed in midfield we need to get the ball to him so much earlier and allow him to run at defenders.

He needs to learn to move into positions to get the ball.

Too often he was too static then either not getting the ball or starting with his back to the defender.

I guess Jack might be looking at this in training this week.