Jack Ross - Manager of the Month

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

If Ross wants to speak to them he will I'm afraid.

It makes things a bit messier but doesn't stop either Dundee or Ross moving forward if Ross is interested.

If it was to get messy in that scenario so be it... I would want our chairman to adopt that stance rather than roll over and die. That might not change the outcome but it would be what most fans would expect IMO.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It makes things a bit messier but doesn't stop either Dundee or Ross moving forward if Ross is interested.

Surely if he is under contract then he can only speak to Dimdee if the club give permission?  Is there a different rule to tapping up a manager as there is for tapping up a player under contract?

6 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Surely if he is under contract then he can only speak to Dimdee if the club give permission?  Is there a different rule to tapping up a manager as there is for tapping up a player under contract?

He could resign his post but then it would get very very messy.

I'll a big fan of Ross, and would be disappointed if he left. But there is no guarantee that he'll be able to replicate the modest success he's had at St Mirren at Dundee. In fact if you were being picky he took an awfully long time and got awfully lucky in the transfer market before he turned things around last season. If he wants the Dundee job then no doubt he'll get it but it's not really a bigger gig. And it must be worrying the way they implode (selling Hemings, Stewart and that other one). without reinvesting in the team. 

Hartley is a good manager. but if you look at the way he was strung out by both the board and the players it suggest there are big problems at Dundee. Realistically Hartley did as much there as any manager is likely to.  

If Ross goes then good luck to him. I doubt he'll be heading for the champions league. If you look at the financial position we are in, I know which club I'd rather manage. 

I think he'll stay but if he goes he's not irreplaceable. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

If Dundee meet the asking price he will go. If the chairman blocks a manager who wants to hear what his worth is from another club it will get messy. Remember Ross was under contract at Alloa a few months ago, it didnt stop our club.

We asked for permission to speak to him and Alloa reluctantly agreed and took the compo. We have refused DFC permission , they can't speak to him unless he resigns. FWIW , I don't think he'll resign !

39 minutes ago, insaintee said:

I'll a big fan of Ross, and would be disappointed if he left. But there is no guarantee that he'll be able to replicate the modest success he's had at St Mirren at Dundee. In fact if you were being picky he took an awfully long time and got awfully lucky in the transfer market before he turned things around last season. If he wants the Dundee job then no doubt he'll get it but it's not really a bigger gig. And it must be worrying the way they implode (selling Hemings, Stewart and that other one). without reinvesting in the team. 

Hartley is a good manager. but if you look at the way he was strung out by both the board and the players it suggest there are big problems at Dundee. Realistically Hartley did as much there as any manager is likely to.  

If Ross goes then good luck to him. I doubt he'll be heading for the champions league. If you look at the financial position we are in, I know which club I'd rather manage. 

I think he'll stay but if he goes he's not irreplaceable. 

St.Mirren of course.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Given that Gordon Scott has been in contact with Jack Ross this week whilst Jack's been away and given that they have a good working relationship, I'd be very surprised indeed if Gordon has released such a statement without Jack's prior knowledge and more importantly, consent.

I think and hope GLS is far too shrewd to potentially have an unrest on his hands. That's why I can see this having been done with JR's blessing to do so.

Just now, Drew said:

As someone has suggested, I'd be very surprised if Gordon didn't have a chat with Jack before making these comments this evening.

This is certainly an encouraging development.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Given that Gordon Scott has been in contact with Jack Ross this week whilst Jack's been away and given that they have a good working relationship, I'd be very surprised indeed if Gordon has released such a statement without Jack's prior knowledge and more importantly, consent.

I think and hope GLS is far too shrewd to potentially have an unrest on his hands. That's why I can see this having been done with JR's blessing to do so.

SNAP!

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I think and hope GLS is far too shrewd to potentially have an unrest on his hands.

JR should be too. He's riding on a wave just now he may not experience again in his career. It often doesn't take long to go from that to Paul Hartley's or Yogi's position. 

If the club says no, but JR wants to go and takes the petted lip, leading to player unrest and poor form then his stock falls.

From the Dundee Evening Telegraph...............

If, as expected, Dundee do make a firm move to appoint him — and they have already sought permission from St Mirren to open talks — compensation should not be an issue.

The problem for Dark Blues managing director John Nelms is that Ross is currently out of the country on holiday.

One way around that problem would be for Nelms to arrange a meeting with his top target and jump on a plane to get there.