Jack Ross - Manager of the Month

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

All good and I agree except that the figures you give on turnover is 33% higher than we had, considerable in my opinion.

It's bigger, yes, but in the big scheme of things it's not a big move.

If Jack was to leave us for another club in Scotland I'd expect it to be a Hibs, Aberdeen, Hearts (if Levein was gone) type of club. I don't see him ditching the project he's started here for a few extra grand.

Besides which I don't think Dundee could afford the compensation required to even get round the table with him.

Aberdeen would be a bigger concern for me but it might be that it's just too soon for him.

At the end of the day he's not actually won anything as a manager, he'd need some success on his CV IMO before he'd be a serious candidate for a job like Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

All good and I agree except that the figures you give on turnover is 33% higher than we had, considerable in my opinion.

I'm a shareholder and IIRC in our better SPL seasons our turnover was close to £4M - I wouldn't say Dundee are a "considerably" bigger club than us.

Having said that Dundee are a division above us at present and If they decide Ross is their man he'll go "bird in the hand and all that......................." - however I sincerely hope there's no cheap exit clause written into Ross's contract and the price scares Dundee off.

1 hour ago, div said:

There is no buy-out clause in Jack's contract, which has two years to run.

That in itself would appear to rule Dundee out of going any further than an initial enquiry in my opinion.

The Dundee fans seem to be giving it billy big baws on social media but the reality is that Dundee (last season turnover £4m) are not much bigger than us (our turnover in the Premiership was £3m).

They do not have an established training complex, they have two very old stands in an otherwise impressive enough stadium, that are both costing them a fortune to maintain, and that is contributing to dismal financial performance (a loss of £500K in last accounts).

Their youth system has produced nothing of note that I can remember.

Throw in the fact that they haven't won a major honour since 1973 and I can't really see much justification for their attitude.

They currently play in a better league than us and currently get more fans through the door and that's about all they have to offer.

We have plenty of potential to grow our average attendance, and our infrastructure is one of the best in the country.

Use this as an opportunity to reward. Give Jack a new contract in Paisley and let him continue to develop what he's started.

6 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'm a shareholder and IIRC in our better SPL seasons our turnover was close to £4M - I wouldn't say Dundee are a "considerably" bigger club than us.

Having said that Dundee are a division above us at present and If they decide Ross is their man he'll go "bird in the hand and all that......................." - however I sincerely hope there's no cheap exit clause written into Ross's contract and the price scares Dundee off.

Basing my opinion on the figures Div quoted and 33% is CONSIDERABLE, if his figures are correct.

I didn't say they were a "considerably" bigger club, just they had 33% more turnover? :blink:

If Div's figures are not correct then it's irrelevant.

There is also, according to Div, no buyout clause.

Edited by faraway saint

25 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

BBC gossip page has Press and Journal linking County's MacIntyre with the job

I would think McIntyre would be a wiser appointment, with his experience at County in the Premiership and having won them a major honour in his time there. 

I would also hope Dundee think likewise... :ph34r:

I don't think Jack is ready to jump ship. In my opinion, he see's St Mirren as a long term project, with the goal of a return to the top flight and a top 6 finisher. I am pretty sure he would not get anymore satisfaction achieving that with any other club.

I do believe he has a very bright future ahead of him in management and his post St Mirren management career would see him managing an English team at a decent level.

I agree with what Div and others have said above. Dundee is in the Premiership but have significant problems (stadium and squad) which don't make it an attractive club for Jack at the moment.

At Buddies, with the players continuing from last year plus those he's brought in recently, he already has the core of a squad ready for next season and excellent playing and training facilities. He knows that if he gets his head down, works hard with the squad and achieves either promotion or a high finish next May, he could be looking at something much more interesting than a move to a struggling club like Dundee.

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Basing my opinion on the figures Div quoted and 33% is CONSIDERABLE, if his figures are correct.

I didn't say they were a "considerably" bigger club, just they had 33% more turnover? :blink:

33% is considerable.

However they made a £530,00 loss last season.

Club wages increased by £175,000 (to just avoid relegation).

Maintenance bill for a dilapidated stadium increased by £50,000 last season.

An additional £500,000 will be required next season for rent increases.

So the 33% increased turnover doesn't tell the whole story of their finances.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

33% is considerable.

However they made a £530,00 loss last season.

Club wages increased by £175,000 (to just avoid relegation).

Maintenance bill for a dilapidated stadium increased by £50,000 last season.

An additional £500,000 will be required next season for rent increases.

So the 33% increased turnover doesn't tell the whole story of their finances.

Indeed, and if you read the article quoted by LPM these figures are not seen as an issue.

Nelms spoke after the club revealed an operating loss of £530,000 to 31 May.

"They are not great, but they're nothing to worry about," Nelms said of the club's annual accounts, which showed that turnover had remained at about £4m.

"Football Partners Scotland, the major shareholder, funds any losses. We said we would do that from the get go."

We can bang this about all day, I'm totally unsure if they will make Ross an offer and equally as unsure if he would take it.

The "we love Ross" camp are sure he won't take it, that is their perogative.

Time will tell.

With Jack on holiday at present this is neither going to be resolved or go away quickly. I would like to see something official before jumping to any conclusions.

Some of the crap on view via social media is just made up stories from people who are pretending to be in the know.

Dundee fans in particular are displaying some hilarious and delusional stuff about being a great big massive club.:lol:

5 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

With Jack on holiday at present this is neither going to be resolved or go away quickly. I would like to see something official before jumping to any conclusions.

Some of the crap on view via social media is just made up stories from people who are pretending to be in the know.

Dundee fans in particular are displaying some hilarious and delusional stuff about being a great big massive club.:lol:

It's such a great big job and great big club that their interim manager said no to taking the job full time preferring to freelance on the telly.

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Your distinction between "33% is CONSIDERABLE" and ""considerably" bigger club" is just pedantic.

Also I saw div's statement about there being no buyout clause I did see it but don't consider it to be conclusive proof.

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Your distinction between "33% is CONSIDERABLE" and ""considerably" bigger club" is just pedantic.

Also I saw div's statement about there being no buyout clause I did see it but don't consider it to be conclusive proof.

:lol:

Also, see post below................stop jumping to conclusions and also making stuff up. :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

44 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Saints Turnover for year ended May 2013; £3.5m (League Cup Winning Season)
Saints Turnover for year ended May 2014; £3.2m
Saints Turnover for year ended May 2015; £3.0m
Saints Turnover for year ended May 2016; £2.5m

All taken from the club accounts.

8 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Fuxake - where do you learn this stuff?

Just now, div said:

My apologies I should know better than to trust my memory by now.

Jack said it all- We finished 7th in Tier 2, when 3 years ago we were 8th in Tier 1, he has a job to do.....

No question JR has talent , but he still very much a novice, I have no doubt we will lose Jack , maybe even next season but I do believe he will stay , have a real crack at getting us up................... 

A perfect opportunity to show a statement of intent would be to stick a new contract with another year extension and a nice wee wage rise in front of Jack. 

No man is bigger that St. Mirren FC but our manager is easily the most indispensable person on our payroll at the moment. GLS showed him plenty of faith back in his December interview and I'm absolutely sure that will not be forgotten by Jack but let's back that faith up by putting a sweetener on the table for him to stay and to ward off all other two bit mobs. Ensure the only clubs who can pay his contract out will be genuine larger clubs and not charlatans like those in charge of Dundee. 

Remember, this is a mob who publicly courted Stevie Mallan and were willing to part with a princely sum of... Eh... £50k for his services. Tell them to do one and they won't come back for a second go.

Edited by djchapsticks

5 minutes ago, div said:

That really indicates how much more money Ross would get to build his squad at Dundee on over £4m turnover. Just a question for Ross really, is it a big enough carrot to jump ship..? Can't blame him if he does, would guess he would take Fowler with him, which is a good deal for most clubs to get in effect two managers in. And if he has learnt from the mistakes he made with us, no reason why he cant imprive a club like Dundee with those extra resources.

for all the reasons people give of Dundee not being a 'bigger/better' club for Ross to go to, you have to factor in the cons for him and Fowler.

moving up a league

a lower profile club

more realistic expectations in that league

a chance to continue thier own personal development, at a lower risk/expectation demanding premier club.

its a no-brainer really if they reach an agreement.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

That really indicates how much more money Ross would get to build his squad at Dundee on over £4m turnover. Just a question for Ross really, is it a big enough carrot to jump ship..? Can't blame him if he does, would guess he would take Fowler with him, which is a good deal for most clubs to get in effect two managers in. And if he has learnt from the mistakes he made with us, no reason why he cant imprive a club like Dundee with those extra resources.

for all the reasons people give of Dundee not being a 'bigger/better' club for Ross to go to, you have to factor in the cons for him and Fowler.

moving up a league

a lower profile club

more realistic expectations in that league

a chance to continue thier own personal development, at a lower risk/expectation demanding premier club.

its a no-brainer really if they reach an agreement.

I reckon there is little opportunity to shine with Dundee and far more opportunity to shine with us. I also believe Jack is destined for far greater things than Dundee and a year there next season would be treading water for a year. Trying to win a Championship with the experience and opportunity that presents would be a greater draw for me at least. In years to come St Mirren Championship winners is better than Dundee 8th place.