Tom Walsh - backup winger?

I'm hoping pushing Stelios up the field a bit on Saturday makes up for the loss of Lewis Morgan. Stelios, talented as he is though, is a maverick. Might be a decent shout getting the unattached Tom Walsh back till the end of the season. There is a player in there. Can play both wings and scores a few goals.

Just now, magnus said:

I'm hoping pushing Stelios up the field a bit on Saturday makes up for the loss of Lewis Morgan. Stelios, talented as he is though, is a maverick. Might be a decent shout getting the unattached Tom Walsh back till the end of the season. There is a player in there. Can play both wings and scores a few goals.

Aye he is so good no other Club in any League wanted to sign him. He is part of the reason we are in the mess we are in. No thanks.

I wondered about Tom Walsh too  great goal against Falkirk , then we hardly see him again , had a few assists too , then I ask myself why no ones signed him , and why he was released by Rangers , as no doubt he is a decent player , and a decent option for any team in our league to have on the bench as an impact player , there will no doubt be a very good reason as to no team has shown any interest in signing him.

1 minute ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I wondered about Tom Walsh too  great goal against Falkirk , then we hardly see him again , had a few assists too , then I ask myself why no ones signed him , and why he was released by Rangers , as no doubt he is a decent player , and a decent option for any team in our league to have on the bench as an impact player , there will no doubt be a very good reason as to no team has shown any interest in signing him.

Anyone who saw him hooked at half-time when Ross gave him a starting place at Greenock would know why two Clubs released him and no-one else wanted to sign him. However he had a history of injuries before he came to us so maybe that's why. Initially I thought the guy looked good but shocking workrate soon made me change my mind. However in only 10 League appearances (mostly as sub) he scored 3 goals which is 50% of what Sutton, our top scorer,  has scored in 30 League games with most of them starting.

3 hours ago, elvis said:

I might be in the minority but I never thought he was as bad as people on here are saying  anytime I saw him he looked decent .

I'm the same as you, though when a manager stops playing you, (fair enough McAllister made a difference when he came in), then your parent club releases you and doesn't even consider a further loan deal, followed up with the fact he hasn't had a club since, reads all the wrong signs.

3 hours ago, elvis said:

I might be in the minority but I never thought he was as bad as people on here are saying  anytime I saw him he looked decent .

52 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Anyone who saw him hooked at half-time when Ross gave him a starting place at Greenock would know why two Clubs released him and no-one else wanted to sign him. However he had a history of injuries before he came to us so maybe that's why. Initially I thought the guy looked good but shocking workrate soon made me change my mind. However in only 10 League appearances (mostly as sub) he scored 3 goals which is 50% of what Sutton, our top scorer,  has scored in 30 League games with most of them starting.

As someone who championed Tom Walsh at various times in the past, I won't be a hypocrite and jump sides even though the vast majority are on the other side of the fence.

I still believe he has great ability and the impact he had from the bench in some of his 10 appearances were outcome changing. He looked quite skillful in flashes and sometimes was responsible for the few enjoyable moments in otherwise turgid games.

However - I didn't see his performance against Morton (well not on the bits I watched on periscope) and I accept that you need to take your chances when you get them.

I also wouldn't want to upset the balance in Jack's new team - so Stelios deputizing for Lewis Morgan and Gary Irvine returning to replace him would be my choice.

In terms of the OP's point - I don't agree that Walsh should return to the starting XI at the expense of Stelios. However, I would not be averse to some kind of 'pay as you play' or end of season deal for him; which might motivate him to sort his workrate out and give us some benefit of his talent (as well has saving his own career).

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Rangers wouldn't know a good player if they stared them in the face.

They have released numerous players who have gone on to prove themselves. 

19 minutes ago, pod said:

Rangers wouldn't know a good player if they stared them in the face.

They have released numerous players who have gone on to prove themselves. 

True

But they have also kept players who have gone on to prove that League 3 was actually their level:whistle

Decent player at this level.  That goal he scored against Falkirk to rescue a point is the best goal we've scored all season IMO.  Also scored a late equaliser down at Ayr early in the season. 

Players on loan from the OF clubs don't get the same level of patience among our support as other youngsters do, so he became vilified pretty quickly.