True Fan or Not a True Fan ?

5 hours ago, southsidebud said:

A true fan is a someone who says that they supports something, where that statement is the truth.

I don't agree. A supporter is, by definition, someone who supports that something. Usually financially.

A fan is Fanatical to a degree and might never actually see their something in reality.

For example. You might be a fan AND a supporter. Faraway is, at best, a fan.....ny

I don't agree. A supporter is, by definition, someone who supports that something. Usually financially.
A fan is Fanatical to a degree and might never actually see their something in reality.
For example. You might be a fan AND a supporter. Faraway is, at best, a fan.....ny

Fair enough - though technically the two definitions are not contradictory - yours is simply more specific.

I suppose my concern is who gets to decide what a 'true supporter' is. Is someone who goes to all home and away games a true supporter and anyone who doesn't not? Who sets the bar?

Support does not have to be financial. For example someone who cannot afford to go to games yet defends their team in arguments with friends and follows their progress avidly can be a true supporter.

I guess i would say that a true supporter is someone who gives of themselves as much as they can, given their circumstances, to something they value that needs their support.

Again - I don't think my definition is substantively different from yours.

Although I've mixed up my 'fan' with my 'supporter' I'm sure you get what i mean.

[emoji5]️

43 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Non supporting behaviour is systematically slagging or undermining the thing you claim to support which goes way beyond constructive criticism.

Examples:

Taking apparent pleasure when the club loses games.

Attemtping to spread malicious rumours about sponsors, board members, players, management or other club member to furher your own agenda.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Non supporting behaviour is systematically slagging or undermining the thing you claim to support which goes way beyond constructive criticism.

Examples:

Taking apparent pleasure when the club loses games.

Attemtping to spread malicious rumours about sponsors, board members, players, management or other club member to furher your own agenda.

Is that not another definition of fan.........ny

I have been among St Mirren supporters who have gone home and away for decades. 

Some are constantly on the Teams back and always take pleasure in abusing certain players. 

I am guessing those fans are only out for a day on the alcohol. 

6 minutes ago, shull said:

Some are constantly on the Teams back and always take pleasure in abusing certain players. 

You must be hanging about with an angry bunch then . 

I go home and away and come in contact with many fans who enjoy a drink . I can't think of many occasions , especially away from home that I've witnessed much abuse directed at the team or individual's . 

Some people go to more matches than others.  Don't think it's a big deal, it's an expense and most people generally have busy lives.  

I didn't go to a lot of games over last 4-5 years because i took a job that required Saturday working.  That changed last year and I got my season ticket back for 2016/17 also enjoy a wee away day but I don't go to everything.  

I do think there has to be a degree of appreciation for fans that pay their hard earned money more than those that spend little or even no money on St Mirren but each to their own. If it wasn't for them St Mirren wouldn't exist like any other club. 

Side note but I would love to see a big effort from fans with next seasons strips.  Club have made a massive decision patching JD Sports and I hope it's embraced by fans. 

1 hour ago, shull said:

Then they are not supporting are they?