In Birmingham She Loved The Governor

Bud the Baker

55 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I dislike that song and all it stands for sorry , Neil Young was right. .

Neil changed his mind

In his 2012 autobiography Waging Heavy Peace, Young commented on his role in the song's creation, writing "My own song 'Alabama' richly deserved the shot Lynyrd Skynyrd gave me with their great record. I don't like my words when I listen to it. They are accusatory and condescending, not fully thought out, and too easy to misconstrue"

The lyrics about Wallace in SHA were misinterpreted, most people choosing not to hear the "boo, boo, boo" refrain. Skynyrd weren't a racist band and Wallace eventually renounced and apologized for his previous views on segregation. Where you are right is that the song does have an "Alf Garnett" factor where the intended message tends to be ignored and the crass misinterpretation means it's celebrated by a lot of the people it's meant to be lampooning.

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Neil changed his mind

The lyrics about Wallace were misinterpreted, most people choosing not to hear the "boo, boo, boo" refrain. Skynyrd weren't a racist band and Wallace eventually renounced and apologized for his previous views on segregation. Where you are right is that the song doe have an "Alf Garnett" factor where the underlying message is ignored and the crass misinterpretation means it's celebrated by a lot of the people it's meant to be lampooning.

Maybe I just dislike Lynard fecking Skynard then. .