Morton Have a Role to Play in Keeping Us Up

I agree with St Ricky. Of course it is in in our own hands but at the same time Morton,and others, beating Ayr, Raith and Dumbarton would help us hugely. we are all St Mirren supporters....we have been here before, we are perfectly capable of mucking it up.

Without the totally unlikely wins and draws  Dumbarton and Ayr secured we would be safe now.....no more of these please!

16 minutes ago, farmer john said:

I agree with St Ricky. Of course it is in in our own hands but at the same time Morton,and others, beating Ayr, Raith and Dumbarton would help us hugely. we are all St Mirren supporters....we have been here before, we are perfectly capable of mucking it up.

Without the totally unlikely wins and draws  Dumbarton and Ayr secured we would be safe now.....no more of these please!

I suppose we have little influence on what other teams do , or don't do . However , we can have an influence on what our team do by getting behind them and giving them the continued support we have given them so far. Anything other teams do in our favour is a bonus. .

A lot was (correctly) made of our run in involving away trips to the top 4.

However...

With the Morton result in the bag, our run in is no longer so much harder than that of our rivals.

Raith Rovers also now play two top 4 teams next (Dundee United and Hibs). Assuming we can match their results (which could easily be two defeats) then we can ensure that we finish above them with victory when we meet on the 29th at the Fortress.

Ayr now play three top 4 teams in succession and they already have three points to make up.

And the coup de grace - the final game for Ayr and Raith Rovers is a dog fight against one another (likely for playoff v relegation)

So while of course we need to keep the heid and take care of our own business, Ayr and Raith have suddenly got major problems right in front of them as well.

Not sure they have the same mental toughness as us, so I expect multiple bottle crashes elsewhere with us doing that cheesy slow motion walk away from the exploding building.

Edited by southsidebud

14 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

A lot was (correctly) made of our run in involving away trips to the top 4.

However...

With the Morton result in the bag, our run in is no longer so much harder than that of our rivals.

Raith Rovers also now play two top 4 teams next (Dundee United and Hibs). Assuming we can match their results (which could easily be two defeats) then we can ensure that we finish above them with victory when we meet on the 29th at the Fortress.

Ayr now play three top 4 teams in succession and they already have three points to make up.

And the coup de grace - the final game for Ayr and Raith Rovers is a dog fight against one another (likely for playoff v relegation)

So while of course we need to keep the heid and take care of our own business, Ayr and Raith have suddenly got major problems right in front of them as well.

Not sure they have the same mental toughness as us, so I expect multiple bottle crashes elsewhere with us doing that cheesy slow motion walk away from the exploding building.

Great summary.

I think your point on the mental toughness is key. That's why I referred to Ayr being booed off at the weekend on another thread.

In the past, when we've been teetering on the brink, the team could generally rely on the support of the fans even when there was but a forlorn hope that tbings could be turned around. There's a stench of resignation having over Ayr just now.

I think Raith are possibly more likely to pick up a decent result in the last few games, but being passed by Saints will have been a significant psychological blow for them, and they are probably now focussed on the play off spot.

Absolutely no room for complacency, but I don't think the management team or players will be guilty of that. We have the momentum, and it will take us over the line. I'm entirely confident about that, and will be at Grangemouth in Saturday to play my small part (no sniggering at the back!). :spud5

Edited by Drew

9 hours ago, dmc said:

Believe it or not, Cappielow is SPL compliant!

7 hours ago, linwood bud said:

No it's not premiership compliant, it needs 6000 seats with a back of at least 30cm. All seats must be individually numbered and all seats must be covered.

:unsure:

42 minutes ago, Drew said:

Great summary.

I think your point on the mental toughness is key. That's why I referred to Ayr being booed off at the weekend on another thread.

In the past, when we've been teetering on the brink, the team could generally rely on the support of the fans even when there was but a forlorn hope that tbings could be turned around. There's a stench of resignation having over Ayr just now.

I think Raith are possibly more likely to pick up a decent result in the last few games, but being passed by Saints will have been a significant psychological blow for them, and they are probably now focussed on the play off spot.

Absolutely no room for complacency, but I don't think the management team or players will be guilty of that. We have the momentum, and it will take us over the line. I'm entirely confident about that, and will be at Grangemouth in Saturday to play my small part (no sniggering at the back!). :spud5

Historically we have done well at Grangemouth when the pressure has been on us , I don't see this weekend being any different. I'm looking forward to it and the after match comments . .again a couple of controversial goals including the dubious penalty and a deflected goal aff Peter Houstons arse before bursting their net. .

Great summary.

The Raith management team?

The very one people were saying we had to replace rookie Jack Ross with in order to ensure our safety?

As I said at the time, I'd rather have a good manager than an experienced one.

Looks like we have that now and should be grateful.

16 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

The very one people were saying we had to replace rookie Jack Ross with in order to ensure our safety?

Aye, when Rae was bagged, Hughes was my preference. As has been said, its a good thing that clueless diddies like me don't run fitba clubs.

Have to say, though, that after Hughes knocked us back on the grounds that he was eyeing a bigger prize dahn saaf, I intend to enjoy the Mighty Mirren hopefully putting his team to the sword later in the month.

Edited by Drew

2 hours ago, farmer john said:

We're also capable of winning the points necessary without the aid of other teams.

1 hour ago, pod said:

We're also capable of winning the points necessary without the aid of other teams.

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Based on recent results and the fact that teams that have been rooted at the bottom so long rarely do what we have just achieved , I'd be far more concerned if i were a supporter of Ayr , Raith or Dumbarton right now. .we could even overhaul Dungvermin too. .

yes, all of that is true. But I would rather Ayr, Dumbarton and  Raith lost all their remaining games.

If I were a betting man, I'd have my money on Raith to finish bottom. Have felt that for some time. They seem to lack bottle, and Ayr will kick them off the park and cheat their way to victory on the last day of the season in Kirkcaldy if the need to. Still annoyed we let the shower of shit beat us, but it's been the only real black mark on our form since the end of January, so we're allowed the odd hiccup.

10 minutes ago, Soctty said:

If I were a betting man, I'd have my money on Raith to finish bottom. Have felt that for some time. They seem to lack bottle, and Ayr will kick them off the park and cheat their way to victory on the last day of the season in Kirkcaldy if the need to. Still annoyed we let the shower of shit beat us, but it's been the only real black mark on our form since the end of January, so we're allowed the odd hiccup.

Yes all the more reason to put them to the sword on the 29th in the nicest way , controversial goals , Hughes sent to the stand and a last kick of the ball goal for us in the dying seconds , just as their goalies picking the ball out the net the whistle blows. .our players then get a 10 minute standing ovation whilst Hughes is spitting feathers at the interviewer. . :P

12 hours ago, linwood bud said:

IMG_1492041458.395066.jpg

Wow- Interesting - So it that now cause it says SPL and that's dead?... They change their minds like the weather....

So Ton have our stand somewhere in storage, they would also need to roof both ends...............

Duffy was on radio saying they are determined to win Sat to seal play off

Still seriously pees me off what we had to do March 2000 to even have a chance to go up, and the way Bairns were treated was a disgrace.... especially when they weren't allowed to ground share, but Caley and Gretna were.......

SPL/SPFL/SFA what a bunch of clowns- why don't they stand in public office ? 

5 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

In fairness, you did also try to defend Raith's appointment of Gary Locke :P

3 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Wow- Interesting - So it that now cause it says SPL and that's dead?... They change their minds like the weather....

So Ton have our stand somewhere in storage, they would also need to roof both ends...............

Duffy was on radio saying they are determined to win Sat to seal play off

Still seriously pees me off what we had to do March 2000 to even have a chance to go up, and the way Bairns were treated was a disgrace.... especially when they weren't allowed to ground share, but Caley and Gretna were.......

SPL/SPFL/SFA what a bunch of clowns- why don't they stand in public office ? 

Laying in a heap next to their ground, totally exposed to the weather and so badly corroded even the scrappy wouldn't touch it.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes said:

Bloody hell, dmc, didnae know you were still kicking around here! :o

By the way, I take it you're from the "It ain't New Order without Hooky" school of thought....

Absolutely. Totally and utterly absolutely. And that's what's made it so enjoyable.

Don't post much now mate, but still "lurk" ^_^

Actually no, I think it's Hooky's loss, he's just become a tribute act unfortunately!

Bernard is New Order! B)

11 minutes ago, dmc said:

Don't post much now mate, but still "lurk" ^_^

Actually no, I think it's Hooky's loss, he's just become a tribute act unfortunately!

Bernard is New Order! B)

Can't agree with that . It's about time Hooky came out of his cream puff about the hacienda merchandise. 

In fairness, you did also try to defend Raith's appointment of Gary Locke [emoji14]

Did I?

I honestly can't remember.

I do thiink Locke has shown potential and sometimes the timi h and clib can combine to make a decent manager look like a diddy.

Sheils seems to be doing well in Ireland.

Vogts did ok prior to humiliating Scotland!

I will back any young manager. Even if they bomb aat one club they can still come good.