Gary MacKenzie

Over the last couple of months we have had some stunning performances collectively and individually but someone who rarely gets a mention is Gary Mac.

Keep him fit and he has been great. What a difference having an out and out quality centre half makes. Alex Rae never made many decent signings but this guy has been outstanding recently. Wins almost everything in the air and is an aerial threat at set pieces and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. I believe this guy is the best centre half we had for some time.

Has to be a contender for POY

Gary has been excellent. I do think Davis has to take a little credit but fair play to Gary as he has been outstanding. Shows what can happen when a player is supported and encouraged and he gains in confidence. Total standout in recent weeks after Davis's injury. Hope him and Davis are with us for the promotion push.

He was man of the match for me last night. Won absolutely everything in the air and added a goal to his game. If we stay up, he would be one of the first players i would be looking to keep if he is happy to stay and play at this level as he could still easily do it at a higher level. 

Great game last night, won everything in the air and scored a fine headed goal. One of several outstanding players recently. Whilst I admit I had Saints relegated up until recently, and surely it would have been hard to argue with that prognosis, I feel we have turned the corner now and will be staying up. The difference since the turn of 2017 has been night and day . Of course personnel wise its a different team but several previously poor players have turned into footballers under JR.

My gripe about last night is solely with Morton who thoroughly don't deserve even a chance at promotion, given the way they treat away fans. No cover, no change at the turnstiles, no holding up the game to let people in who have had to queue due to their incompetence. Thankfully on last nights showing they have no chance of promotion. Galling thing is, if we took their place I think we would win the play-offs and beat whoever comes from the Premiership.

12 minutes ago, Froggie said:

Great game last night, won everything in the air and scored a fine headed goal. One of several outstanding players recently. Whilst I admit I had Saints relegated up until recently, and surely it would have been hard to argue with that prognosis,

SORRY, I NEVER CONSIDERED RELEGATION AND WON'T DO SO TILL THE NUMBERS MAKE IT SO.

I feel we have turned the corner now and will be staying up.

AGAIN... I WILL NOT BE OVER-CONFIDENT TILL THE NUMBERS SAY SO.

the best aspect of a thread like this is something I never dreamt I'd be seeing this season - the start of a genuine discussion over a St Mirren player of the Year!

a couple of months ago they were all shite.

now you can't pass a ball without hitting a hero or two. :)

Fwiw... For me - McGinn.

it was a huge decision and commitment to return to a club that was neck-deep in the shite.  And he can play a bit...

McGinn is a great shout....................

We all bemoaned that fanny Rae getting shot of Goodie cause we lost a leader, a player who would die for the jersey. JR getting McGinn was the turning point, then having the sense to give Jacks team the stamp he makes him Captain.

From the wonder goal in the Semi, to the fact that he never stops working, encouraging and sometimes bossing his team mates

When Stellios, was holding his face after Ayr made it 5-2, McGinn was shouting at him to get up and stop acting it.

McGinn is a winner and my POTY easy.................. He puts Jacks plans into action....................

46 minutes ago, Mearns Saint said:

MacKnezie has been outstanding for a while now and really hope we can keep him next season. POTY though for me has to be Morgan, he's been electric most of this season

Think there`s a few good candidates for POTY Morgan is definitely up there, and for me the young POTY is... Kyle Magennis, TAKE A BOW YOUNG MAN :happyclapper

His goal was right out the training ground. Moves into the box to be shadowed by a Morton player. Step up a Saints player to off set the big man's marker. Big guy moves away while Saints player blocks the defender for the big guy to score. Straight out the training pitch. Well done to great coaching. 

On 4/12/2017 at 8:21 PM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:
His goal was right out the training ground. Moves into the box to be shadowed by a Morton player. Step up a Saints player to off set the big man's marker. Big guy moves away while Saints player blocks the defender for the big guy to score. Straight out the training pitch. Well done to great coaching. 

Some of our set pieces have been fabulously worked - the goals against Celtic & TNS for example. Lots of variation & innovation. Great to see these are obviously worked on a lot at training

Edited by Soctty
Removal of oxidant m

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

Some of our set pieces have been fabulously worked - the goals against Celtic & TNS for example. Lots of variation & innovation. Great to see these are oxidant m obviously worked on a lot at training

Nothing to do with Jack Ross though. :rolleyes:

On 4/12/2017 at 8:37 AM, Dave The Buddie said:

Over the last couple of months we have had some stunning performances collectively and individually but someone who rarely gets a mention is Gary Mac.

Keep him fit and he has been great. What a difference having an out and out quality centre half makes. Alex Rae never made many decent signings but this guy has been outstanding recently. Wins almost everything in the air and is an aerial threat at set pieces and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. I believe this guy is the best centre half we had for some time.

Has to be a contender for POY

Er, wasn't he one of Alex Rae's many rubbish signings?

18 minutes ago, billyg said:

He was one of Alec Rae's unfit , perma-injured signings . He has blossomed in the new regime !

If I remember, it wasn't a planned signing either. Rae had stated he was happy with the defence and was looking at other positions. MacKenzie was unexpectedly available so Rae took the chance to sign him.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:29 PM, Soctty said:

Some of our set pieces have been fabulously worked - the goals against Celtic & TNS for example. Lots of variation & innovation. Great to see these are oxidant m obviously worked on a lot at training

That's what's wrong with modern football!

You just don't get to see enough oxidant m in the modern game...

On 12/04/2017 at 8:29 PM, Soctty said:

Some of our set pieces have been fabulously worked - the goals against Celtic & TNS for example. Lots of variation & innovation. Great to see these are obviously worked on a lot at training

When Jack Ross was a player he revealed on a Radio Scotland show that we did no work whatsoever on set pieces during training.

That came as a surprise to no one who had seen how shite we were from set pieces, and even throw ins.

Just goes to show what can happen when you put a bit of thought into it, and also practice. Since the season started (i.e. February) I think we've now had four tap in goals off the back of well worked set pieces, which is better than none.