POTY

19 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

I've got a problem with this?  My players of the year are Kyle Magennis and Lewis Morgan.  Which one gets the Young Player of the Year award?

All players who have played more than 10 appearances this season and who are still at the club will be listed for the main POTY award.

All players from the above who were under-21 when the season started will be listed for the Young player award.

We use weighting in our polls so you will be able to give 12 points to one and 11 to the other in one poll and vice versa in the other. That way you'll give both 23 points.

If we get the same player winning both polls we will award the Young Player award to the runner up in that poll.

Is it obvious that I'm just making this up as I go along now?

On 12/04/2017 at 2:22 PM, Soctty said:

Kyle's an incredible talent, all the moreso when you consider his age. His tenacity and strength on the ball, along with his quick feet, pace and composure when he gets into dangerous areas make him a huge asset to the club, and a credit to himself and his family. He has a massive future in front of him. Just hope we can see another couple of years at the Saints before he goes onto bigger things.

Yeah he has not had the headlines of Mallan, McAllister and Morgan but he's arguably been more consistent than all of them.

Been outstanding anyway but when you consider he's only 18 it's been a truly remarkable performance from him considering the pressure we've been under in pretty much every single game since the turn of the year.

Spoiler  
Div where is the presentations taking place this year .

Don't think that's been decided but reckon we will try and do ours either in the 1877 club or whenever the Cockles Wilson bus are doing theirs if they let us tag on.

Amazing that in spite of the horror show of a season, we've really got a lot of good strong options for POTY. 

For me, it's a tough call to make but I'm inclined to say Stephen McGinn. Despite being here half a season he has been the beating heart of this side. He sums up St Mirren FC for me and is just wonderful to watch. He is so good he makes folk who play around him better for being in the same team as him. That's what real leaders do. 

The YPOTY is a tough one to call. My initial instinct is to say Morgan or Mallan (is Stevie still young? I'm kidding, I know he is but he's been there forever), but for me, I can pinpoint one lad coming on and making me feel in our darkest hour and a half, that things might just be alright.

Kyle Magennis coming on at half time against Morton on that horrendous night in Cappielow, replacing a Billy big baws with zero footballing ability in Kyle Hutton... a man who picked the ball up in the middle of the park at one point and literally flapped his arms like a doo as he didn't know what to do with it and in that moment, shut the door on his career with us... then this raw 18 year old strolls on at HT, does nothing fancy but everything correct, keeps everything simple and plays his way into Hutton's place. At that point I thought that with lads like him and Morgan in the team, maybe things will not be so shite all season. 

Magennis and McAllister coming in sort of set a precursor to what Jack wanted to do in January and the lad is playing like he's been there for years. Comfortable in the middle or the right, he's been an unsung hero and chipped in with some big goals into the bargain. Had Kyle McAllister stayed, this vote might have gone elsewhere as I genuinely struggle to think of a young player at St Mirren who has been more exciting than McAllister, but rest assured, the less lauded Kyle (naw, no Hutton) is going to go on and have a cracking career. 

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Amazing that in spite of the horror show of a season, we've really got a lot of good strong options for POTY. 

For me, it's a tough call to make but I'm inclined to say Stephen McGinn. Despite being here half a season he has been the beating heart of this side. He sums up St Mirren FC for me and is just wonderful to watch. He is so good he makes folk who play around him better for being in the same team as him. That's what real leaders do. 

The YPOTY is a tough one to call. My initial instinct is to say Morgan or Mallan (is Stevie still young? I'm kidding, I know he is but he's been there forever), but for me, I can pinpoint one lad coming on and making me feel in our darkest hour and a half, that things might just be alright.

Kyle Magennis coming on at half time against Morton on that horrendous night in Cappielow, replacing a Billy big baws with zero footballing ability in Kyle Hutton... a man who picked the ball up in the middle of the park at one point and literally flapped his arms like a doo as he didn't know what to do with it and in that moment, shut the door on his career with us... then this raw 18 year old strolls on at HT, does nothing fancy but everything correct, keeps everything simple and plays his way into Hutton's place. At that point I thought that with lads like him and Morgan in the team, maybe things will not be so shite all season. 

Magennis and McAllister coming in sort of set a precursor to what Jack wanted to do in January and the lad is playing like he's been there for years. Comfortable in the middle or the right, he's been an unsung hero and chipped in with some big goals into the bargain. Had Kyle McAllister stayed, this vote might have gone elsewhere as I genuinely struggle to think of a young player at St Mirren who has been more exciting than McAllister, but rest assured, the less lauded Kyle (naw, no Hutton) is going to go on and have a cracking career. 

Lovely words and i can assure you they will be appreciated in the Magennis household.To have a family member pulling on the jersey every week fills us all with pride and the lovely thing about Kyle is that he is so level headed and will never be a billy big time(his big brother would not allow it).Hopefully Kyle will be part of the championship winning team next season.That really would be the dogs danglies.

I can understand people saying it shouldn't go to a player who has only been here a few months, but lets be honest, we are judging this over a three month period anyway. Until the end of January when Ross cleared out the dross and signed his own team, everyone had been shite, apart from Magennis and McAlister, who were doing well for young boys thrown into a shit situation.

Since the end of Jan though, everything has changed, and for me, the main catalyst for this has been the introduction of McGinn. Since he arrived, everyone has been better. Mallan and Morgan especially have been different players.

The question I ask myself is where would we be without McGinn? IMO he is the glue that's helped pulled everything together.

The players who were here all season prior to his arrival didn't particularly shine. 

For that reason Stephen McGinn will get my vote. 

27 minutes ago, norman said:

I can understand people saying it shouldn't go to a player who has only been here a few months, but lets be honest, we are judging this over a three month period anyway. Until the end of January when Ross cleared out the dross and signed his own team, everyone had been shite, apart from Magennis and McAlister, who were doing well for young boys thrown into a shit situation.

Since the end of Jan though, everything has changed, and for me, the main catalyst for this has been the introduction of McGinn. Since he arrived, everyone has been better. Mallan and Morgan especially have been different players.

If we're excluding folk who have been here half a season then we're excluding half our team. 

And the guys who are no longer here who did their bit. :lol:

Also, you need look no further than Gary Irvine for someone who is a completely different player. He's been outstanding lately. 

A lot of folk see McGinns arrival as the turning point but for me, our most influential player during the recent 'revival' has been Cammy Smith. He's been immense and we look so much better with him in the team.

And I have to agree with Chapsticks on young player - Magennis has been magnificent for us. In my eyes he's a more complete player than Mallon and Morgan.

The Squad have been magnificent in the last 3 months.

Very very hard to pick out a couple of players for the Awards.

Anyway ..........

Player of the Year - Gary MacKenzie. - He has been fantastic, great defending and a goalscoring centre half in the mould of legend Bobby Reid.

Young Player of the Year - Kyle Macgennis - Never seen a better talent at our Club for many many years. He is going to the very top. Magical skills and an extremely cool head.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

If we're excluding folk who have been here half a season then we're excluding half our team. 

And the guys who are no longer here who did their bit. :lol:

Also, you need look no further than Gary Irvine for someone who is a completely different player. He's been outstanding lately. 

Yeah, Irvine has been excellent recently playing in his natural position rather than shoehorned in at left back where he never looked comfortable. There were people on here who said it doesn't matter what side you play on as a fullback as well...

Lovely words and i can assure you they will be appreciated in the Magennis household.To have a family member pulling on the jersey every week fills us all with pride and the lovely thing about Kyle is that he is so level headed and will never be a billy big time(his big brother would not allow it).Hopefully Kyle will be part of the championship winning team next season.That really would be the dogs danglies.

My dad has came to watch most of the last 12 or so games this season after not going for years. In fact the only 2 he's missed are Raith (A) and Dumbarton (H) so he's been a lucky omen.

He says that young Kyle has the poise and ability to keep the ball under pressure like a young Souness. My dad and I honestly rate Kyle that highly. And with a family like yours Ian his feet will firmly be on the ground.

I'm so excited watching him play.

As has been said by others, this is a hugely difficult choice due to the fact that there are LOADS of contenders who could be argued as to be POTY.

What an enjoyable problem to have!

FWIW - here is my own short list - which is quite long.

There are a some players on my list from the January window - so only really half a season - but that point is moot in my opinion as no one was really playing well before that! 

Stephen McGinn - The captain - whose arrival 'sorted it out' - by taking on the responsibility of the running the show he has given Mallan and the rest of the midfield more freedom to do what they do. The single most important signing of the January window he has brought is own ability to the team as well as giving others who were perhaps misfiring the opportunity to work in a better structure and flourish again.

Stephen Mallan - still has the occasional bad game (who doesn't) but when on song he has all the skill, a magic bag of tricks and goal scoring nouse of the highest order. A superb creative force who will be missed when he goes to a bigger club

Lewis Morgan - another no-brainer - how much fun is it to watch a creative, skilful, fast winger ripping through opponents and setting up or scoring 'worldies' on a semi regular basis and who is playing for us? I would suggest quite a lot

Stelios - for being Stelios. Ok. Harder to justify. But I'm leaving him in. Well - a goal scoring fullback with pace and skill - that'll do.

Kyle Magennis - Same reasons as Lewis Morgan - but he has come on in leaps in bounds over the season

Cammy Smith - has been extremely effective - especially over the last weeks

Honourable Mentions

Gary Mackenzie - has stabilised and become a rock in defence since 'the turn'

Gary Irvine - likewise the 'comeback kid' - he's been transformed since switched in to his preferred position.

Jack Baird - gets a lot of stick - I think he is a great prospect!

John Sutton - slugged away in an unglamorous role

O'Brien / Davis / Eckerlsey have all played their part.

If I must choose:

POTY - Stephen McGinn (for his own performance and impact on others) RUNNER UP - Stephen Mallan

YPOTY - Lewis Morgan (for being fantastic to watch). RUNNER UP - Kyle Magennis

Edited by southsidebud
FFS - forgot to mention Jack Baird!

In my opening post I wanted to nominate them all equally. However when pushed as Div doesn't allow equal votes I know who it will be. So many players have been fantastic since January. Great individual or gritty performances. However there are two players who have been tremendous as a player but also had the greatest influence on the team and our improvement. The first is Harry Davis. I do not think it can be underestimated what a huge contribution he made. However as he has been out for a month over some very important games and the other contender is still cajoling the team on and showing by example. So step forward our leader and illustrious captain Stephen McGinn - a worthy winner.

And Kyle Magennis for YPOTY as he has played in most games this season to a consistently high standard, even before the turnround.

2 hours ago, alwaysabuddy said:

Div - Should we not be able to vote for McAllister ?  Although no longer here contributed greatly within the season.  

I don't normally include players who have left to be honest. I might include him though as agree he was brilliant in the short time he was in the first team.