Dundee United v St Mirren Championship 22/4/17

shull

9 hours ago, saintargyll said:

P.S. why do you not like the  way we are playing right now and why are you so bitter?

are you not encouraged like the rest of the support?

why the downer?

why the negativity?

I'm not bitter, I just disagree with your assessment of the match. Despite a few of our players looking better than their direct opponents Dundee Utd. had more chances than us, we only scored once, just after their first goal when their guard was down. Their manager, McKinnon, made better substitutions than Ross and we didn't have one decent chance in the second half. Despite having a proven matchwinner, at this level, on the bench Ross did not have the nous or courage to use him and in end we were reduced to playing Mackenzie as a forward which was ineffective and we were lucky not to lose a third goal.

That's my assessment of the match, a pretty tame surrender to a side who were more streetwise & better organized than us on the day. It's what I posted at the time, when it didn't seem nearly as controversial, and I feel your view (and that of your compadres) is based on reviewing the match through black&white tinted glasses

You're the one who quoted me, I just offered you a bet based on my belief that your post was based on a mistaken assessment of our chances on Saturday. Probably a bit belligerent on my part but let's roll the bones.....................

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'm not bitter, I just disagree with your assessment of the match. Despite a few of our players looking better than their direct opponents Dundee Utd. had more chances than us, we only scored once, just after their first goal when their guard was down. Their manager, McKinnon, made better substitutions than Ross and we didn't have one decent chance in the second half. Despite having a proven matchwinner, at this level, on the bench Ross did not have the nous or courage to use him and in end we were reduced to playing Mackenzie as a forward which was ineffective and we were lucky not to lose a third goal.

That's my assessment of the match, a pretty tame surrender to a side who were more streetwise & better organized than us on the day. It's what I posted at the time, when it didn't seem nearly as controversial, and I feel your view (and that of your compadres) is based on reviewing the match through black&white tinted glasses

You're the one who quoted me, I just offered you a bet based on my belief that your post was based on a mistaken assessment of our chances on Saturday. Probably a bit belligerent on my part but let's roll the bones.....................

I note that you dismiss our 4 chances in the first half which included hitting the woodwork.My assessment ( not throu black and white glasses) is that we were the better team in the first half and could of blown away Dundee United so therefore our manager got his tactics right,although i will concede that he used his subs far too late.

So i will concede that Dundee United were the better team in the second half AND that they probably edged it in the whole if you concede that we could of won the cup in the first half if we had taken our chances :)  

7 minutes ago, saintargyll said:

I note that you dismiss our 4 chances in the first half which included hitting the woodwork.My assessment ( not throu black and white glasses) is that we were the better team in the first half and could of blown away Dundee United so therefore our manager got his tactics right,although i will concede that he used his subs far too late.

So i will concede that Dundee United were the better team in the second half AND that they probably edged it in the whole if you concede that we could of won the cup in the first half if we had taken our chances :)  

I've already given my opinions and reckon yours falls into the if your granny had balls category.

JR has put together a decent team but if we don't steamroller the opposition in the first quarter then we've generally struggled a bit.

The way I see Saturday's game is as the (potential) decider in a three game rubber, we steamrollered them in the first game at our place, lost the second at a neutral venue with Flood as the MotM and despite them being mediocre on Saturday we have to be seen as outsiders on Saturday playing at their hovel with Flood back from suspension.

It's a sporting bet, by no means a foregone conclusion, but I reckon the odds are in my favour.

43 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I've already given my opinions and reckon yours falls into the if your granny had balls category.

JR has put together a decent team but if we don't steamroller the opposition in the first quarter then we've generally struggled a bit.

The way I see Saturday's game is as the (potential) decider in a three game rubber, we steamrollered them in the first game at our place, lost the second at a neutral venue with Flood as the MotM and despite them being mediocre on Saturday we have to be seen as outsiders on Saturday playing at their hovel with Flood back from suspension.

It's a sporting bet, by no means a foregone conclusion, but I reckon the odds are in my favour.

Are you TC in disguise :lol:

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Morton 1-1 at halftime fulltime we won 4-1. 

Ayr away 0-0 at halftime full-time we won 2-0.

TNS were beating us 1-0 at halftime and we went on to win 4-1.

QOS away twice we won 3-2 and 2-0 but didn't exactly steamroller them in the first quarter of any of these games. 

Apart from Ayr in the 6-2 game which games have we steamrollered the opposition in the first quarter.

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Quite happy to see us as outsiders again . It's worked out not too badly in recent weeks . 

I reckon we've nothing to fear on Saturday . Last game up there , we were very unlucky to come away no points . 

1 hour ago, Kendo said:

Morton 1-1 at halftime fulltime we won 4-1. 

Ayr away 0-0 at halftime full-time we won 2-0.

TNS were beating us 1-0 at halftime and we went on to win 4-1.

QOS away twice we won 3-2 and 2-0 but didn't exactly steamroller them in the first quarter of any of these games. 

Apart from Ayr in the 6-2 game which games have we steamrollered the opposition in the first quarter.

I was under the impression that any games before February could be dismissed as a hangover from the AR era..............

I'd say the Dumbarton, Raith, Dunfermline, Dundee. Utd. (CC final), Dumbarton (again) & Falkirk games all fit the pattern I described.

Maybe not as clear cut as I was thinking but the only game where we actually came from behind to win was against TNS which I'd argue should be classed with East Fife & Celtic as outliers as they're not in the same division as ourselves, but that's still 6 out of 12 games.

Selective but what's the use in in statistics otherwise.................

Feel free to continue with the "stone the unbeliever" tactics!

Edited by Bud the Baker

10 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I was under the impression that any games before February could be dismissed as a hangover from the AR era..............

I'd say the Dumbarton, Raith, Dunfermline, Dundee. Utd. (CC final), Dumbarton (again) & Falkirk games all fit the pattern I described.

Maybe not as clear cut as I was thinking but the only game where we actually came from behind to win was against TNS which I'd argue should be classed with East Fife & Celtic as outliers as they're not in the same division as ourselves, but that's still 6 out of 12 games.

Selective but what's the use in in statistics otherwise.................

Feel free to continue with the "stone the unbeliever" tactics!

Maybe some of the buds attacking your view havent realised we are fighting relegation, and Dun Utd are heading to the play offs?

had a good long think about these last three games and I think they will continue to play out as recent games have with the bottom clubs all losing and perhaps winning in their last three games. Big question will be can Ayr rally and swap places, or are they consigned to the basement?

our games are against three teams all fighting for something, Hibs wont want to lose on their title celebration day, they will be looking for exhibition football.

all things considered I think we will end up in the play off place.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Maybe some of the buds attacking your view havent realised we are fighting relegation, and Dun Utd are heading to the play offs?

had a good long think about these last three games and I think they will continue to play out as recent games have with the bottom clubs all losing and perhaps winning in their last three games. Big question will be can Ayr rally and swap places, or are they consigned to the basement?

our games are against three teams all fighting for something, Hibs wont want to lose on their title celebration day, they will be looking for exhibition football.

That's the spirit!

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Agree with all of the above, we have arguably the toughest run in.

i'm expecting Ayr to be already relegated by the last game so therefore Raith will have an easy home win while we go to Easter Road on Party day.

Dumbarton i'm sure will pick up at least one more win in their 3 games.

Therefore nothing less than 3 points at home to Raith for us(can see them getting something from Hibs midweek before they play us as think after winning the league and cup semi final Lennon will rest a few players) he will probably rest some again away at Ayr as well.

Think 5 points minimum needed but more likely to get 3 or 4 therefore play off it is.

Hopefull we just smash United and Raith and let the others fight it out while we have a day out in Edinburgh.

15 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Hopefull we just smash United and Raith and let the others fight it out while we have a day out in Edinburgh.

and spoil their party.

McGinn to score, John that is (og). He said he'll help.

Edited by pod

I reckon Raith and Dumbarton might each take 4 points from their last 3 games. Therefore we need at least 4 and preferably 5 points to keep us out of the playoff place. I think we need to beat Raith on 29th April and take at least one point from the games at Tannadice and Easter Road.

I reckon Raith and Dumbarton might each take 4 points from their last 3 games. Therefore we need at least 4 and preferably 5 points to keep us out of the playoff place. I think we need to beat Raith on 29th April and take at least one point from the games at Tannadice and Easter Road.

That's how I see it too, meaning we need at least a point against United on Saturday.