Dundee United v St Mirren Championship 22/4/17

shull

Why dont you two hush up and watch how adults manage to negotiate an exchange of ideas.

In the meantime, one of you brainboxes can try my special puzzle designed for schoolchildren. 

Three friends go for a meal and it comes to £30. They each give the waiter £10.

The waiter gets to the till but realises he has overcharged them £5. The meal should have come to £25. The three friends have insulted the waiter all night so he puts £25 of the £30 in the till, cheekily pockets £2 for the hassle they have caused him all night and gives the friends £3 back telling them the meal was £27.

The friends take a pound each and go home happy, each having paid £9 for their meal.

So the friends have paid £27 in total and the waiter has £2 in his pocket.

That only accounts for £29. Where is the extra pound?

For an extra brucey bonus try solving this simple kiddies maths problem without searching the internet.

I think everyone knows you've made an arse of it. As soon as you admit it, we can all try to forget how such a self proclaimed genius f**ked it up...

[emoji23]

As someone who has always struggled a bit with maths, may I concur with Shull, though not necessarily approving of his choice of words.

Also, yet again, in his post-match interview, Jack Ross showed his talent and class. A fine analysis of the talking points of the match. Calm and measured in his comments on the first goal and the ref's alleged comments to him at the end of the match, despite the anger and frustration he must have been feeling. His comments about the players designed to keep them motivated and focussed on the last two matches, at a time when they must all be feeling intense pressure.

This man is a class act, who is destined for much better things in the game than managing St. Mirren. I just hope he stays with us long enough to get us back and established in the Premiership.

And no, I'm not his Dad or his Grandad!! Just someone who recognises and appreciates ability when he sees it.

13 minutes ago, pondsman said:

As someone who has always struggled a bit with maths, may I concur with Shull, though not necessarily approving of his choice of words.

Also, yet again, in his post-match interview, Jack Ross showed his talent and class. A fine analysis of the talking points of the match. Calm and measured in his comments on the first goal and the ref's alleged comments to him at the end of the match, despite the anger and frustration he must have been feeling. His comments about the players designed to keep them motivated and focussed on the last two matches, at a time when they must all be feeling intense pressure.

This man is a class act, who is destined for much better things in the game than managing St. Mirren. I just hope he stays with us long enough to get us back and established in the Premiership.

And no, I'm not his Dad or his Grandad!! Just someone who recognises and appreciates ability when he sees it.

Thanks Pondy :D

Surely this 'one-in-four' bollocks would only matter in a case, let's say, of St Mirren being in a Scottish Cup semi final draw with Inverurie Locos, Dalbeattie Star and Celtic... and we could figure out the odds of us drawing Celtic.

Currently, our situation does not mimic the one above. I.E. There's no Rod Stewart. No corporate suite emptied of alcohol. No heated Sellik ball, and no sponsors shitting themselves that Inverurie and Dalbeattie make the final...

Mathematically, arithmetically or statistically - doesn't matter a shite. What matters is Hibs beating Raith on Wednesday. Then we can worry about Saturday.

Edited by pozbaird

Ah, where is a Newton or Archimedes when you need one ? Looks like even the cynical frog was lulled into a false sense of security with the good run of form. Seems we are back to square one again. Two must win games in a row and only one point. Of course it could be that the prospect of extra play-off games and the revenue they might accrue is the reason for our recent slump. That now looks a best case scenario as our record against both Raith and Hibs is none too convincing. Unable to make any more games scheduled so far, so a bit of nail biting is a cert over the next fortnight. When I last saw them against Morton, it seemed our worries might be over. How different now.

11 minutes ago, Froggie said:

Ah, where is a Newton or Archimedes when you need one ? Looks like even the cynical frog was lulled into a false sense of security with the good run of form. Seems we are back to square one again. Two must win games in a row and only one point. Of course it could be that the prospect of extra play-off games and the revenue they might accrue is the reason for our recent slump. That now looks a best case scenario as our record against both Raith and Hibs is none too convincing. Unable to make any more games scheduled so far, so a bit of nail biting is a cert over the next fortnight. When I last saw them against Morton, it seemed our worries might be over. How different now.

Don't know about Archimedes but pretty sure Newton is still at Cambridge Utd !!!

21 minutes ago, Froggie said:

We're still the form team in the league since the end of January - a period of almost 3 full months. Based on this extended sample, we will be big favourites to beat Raith, and a good bet to take at least a point at Hibs on the final day.

Raith were the first team we beat at home in the league this seaon, in early December, and we've also beaten Hibs twice already this season, once at Easter Road. What a shocking record...

What I will agree on is that it will indeed be nail biting stuff - looking forward to both games.

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Why dont you two hush up and watch how adults manage to negotiate an exchange of ideas.

In the meantime, one of you brainboxes can try my special puzzle designed for schoolchildren. 

Three friends go for a meal and it comes to £30. They each give the waiter £10.

The waiter gets to the till but realises he has overcharged them £5. The meal should have come to £25. The three friends have insulted the waiter all night so he puts £25 of the £30 in the till, cheekily pockets £2 for the hassle they have caused him all night and gives the friends £3 back telling them the meal was £27.

The friends take a pound each and go home happy, each having paid £9 for their meal.

So the friends have paid £27 in total and the waiter has £2 in his pocket.

That only accounts for £29. Where is the extra pound?

For an extra brucey bonus try solving this simple kiddies maths problem without searching the internet.

There is, of course, no extra pound. Your £27 paid by the students includes the £2 pocketed by the waiter; add to this the £3 returned to the students you then have your £30 pounds. Simples!

Perhaps you can explain to me the relevance of this to the original question.If someone else has answered this, please excuse me as I have just come acroos this latest question.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

We're still the form team in the league since the end of January - a period of almost 3 full months. Based on this extended sample, we will be big favourites to beat Raith, and a good bet to take at least a point at Hibs on the final day.

Raith were the first team we beat at home in the league this seaon, in early December, and we've also beaten Hibs twice already this season, once at Easter Road. What a shocking record...

What I will agree on is that it will indeed be nail biting stuff - looking forward to both games.

Hibs and Raith have both beaten us twice in the league this season. I never used the word shocking, rather I said it was unconvincing. I think its the play offs for us, unless Ayr win in midweek, then its really worrying.

These recent dropped points wouldn't normally be worthy of criticism, but its been patently obvious for a long time that we needed to win EVERY game in order to avoid the drop. There is no margin for error, such was our abysmal record until January.

Hibs and Raith have both beaten us twice in the league this season. I never used the word shocking, rather I said it was unconvincing. I think its the play offs for us, unless Ayr win in midweek, then its really worrying.
These recent dropped points wouldn't normally be worthy of criticism, but its been patently obvious for a long time that we needed to win EVERY game in order to avoid the drop. There is no margin for error, such was our abysmal record until January.

If we needed to win EVERY have in order to avoid the drop, how come avoiding the drop is still in our own hands, despite not winning every game? ????

We were never thing to win every game, but our form since the end of January has been fantastic, and if we keep playing the way we have been we will stay up.

There is, of course, no extra pound. Your £27 paid by the students includes the £2 pocketed by the waiter; add to this the £3 returned to the students you then have your £30 pounds. Simples!
Perhaps you can explain to me the relevance of this to the original question.If someone else has answered this, please excuse me as I have just come acroos this latest question.

He's trying to deflect from his bizarre ramblings on our chances of staying up in the play offs. It hasn't worked. [emoji23]

2 hours ago, smcc said:

No. That is wrong. You need to forget the £30. It is a red herring.

The meal ended up costing £25. The £2 is effectively a tip and therefore you subtract it from £27 you don't add it.

The point is to illustrate how easy it is for adults to misunderstand apparently simple things like adding.

To be honest I think I have made my point brilliantly.

Edited by oaksoft

6 hours ago, pondsman said:

Although for someone who seemed upset at a ref saying you're a good team and playing well and you'll stay up Jack's message was exactly the same - if we play like that in the last two games we will stay up.

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No. That is wrong. You need to forget the £30. It is a red herring.

The meal ended up costing £25. The £2 is effectively a tip and therefore you subtract it from £27 you don't add it.

The point is to illustrate how easy it is for adults to misunderstand apparently simple things like adding.

To be honest I think I have made my point brilliantly.

That's the same as what smcc said just explained in different words.