Brexit and Scottish Football

shull

Fraser Wishart says leaving the EU could be devastating for Scottish Football. 

I say, absolutely shite Fraser. 

A great opportunity for homegrown talent. 

Simple as that. 

FECKING SCAREMONGERING WISHART. 

Just now, faraway saint said:

Why did he say that?

The argument seems to be that Rangers and Celtic will find it more difficult to sign EU players and will therefore be at a disadvantage when it comes to competing in Europe.

These two clubs will then sign up all the best talent in Scotland instead, weakening other clubs here and worsening the gap between them and everyone else.

Not sure I agree with this way of thinking.

For a start, European football is a corrupt waste of space which has meant that clubs chase money rather than trophies and titles. Imagine putting out a weakened team in national cup competitions because it is better to finish 4th in the league than to win Cups. Bizarre.

And as far as the old firm buying up players from other teams, a restriction on squad size would deal with that.

Longer term, we can only find a solution for Scotland when all teams pull together and sacrifice their own money addiction for the betterment of the entire league system.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

The argument seems to be that Rangers and Celtic will find it more difficult to sign EU players and will therefore be at a disadvantage when it comes to competing in Europe.

These two clubs will then sign up all the best talent in Scotland instead, weakening other clubs here and worsening the gap between them and everyone else.

For a start, European football is a corrupt waste of space which has meant that clubs chase money rather than trophies and titles. Imagine putting out a weakened team in national cup competitions because it is better to finish 4th in the league than to win Cups. Bizarre.

And as far as the old firm buying up players from other teams, a restriction on squad size would deal with that.

Longer term, we can only find a solution for Scotland when all teams pull together and sacrifice their own money addiction for the betterment of the entire league system.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Is this not what Celtic and Rangers did in the past - buy up all of the best Scottish Talent?

Did this not circulate transfer cash in the Scottish Game?

13 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Is this not what Celtic and Rangers did in the past - buy up all of the best Scottish Talent?

Did this not circulate transfer cash in the Scottish Game?

Yes but without a squad size limit it allowed both clubs to empty every other club of talent.

Then those clubs squandered that cash on crap players who cost a fortune.

Its the lack a clubs working together which holds us back and with Celtic being a PLC that will never change now.

28 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yes but without a squad size limit it allowed both clubs to empty every other club of talent.

Then those clubs squandered that cash on crap players who cost a fortune.

Its the lack a clubs working together which holds us back and with Celtic being a PLC that will never change now.

I, but it will be difficult to sign any of those crap EU players

1 hour ago, pod said:

I, but it will be difficult to sign any of those crap EU players

I can see the price of Scottish players going up.

Once any large injection of cash appears agents simply boost players wage demands and we see no improvement in quality for all that extra cash.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I guess a silver lining would be the best scottish players being involved in European competition may improve international prospects over the longer term.

Smaller clubs will also not be able to get EU players so will be forced to replace scottish with scottish. So is there maybe a chance of the trickledown effect benefiting scottish talent as well.

Perhaps clubs will be more likely to take chances on the sort of smaller, more lightweight, more skilful players that have been apparently passed over in the future.

Of course it could all go pear-shaped but the above scenario could end up a winner.

Although I admit that the thought of the ugly sisters raiding our best players again does not fill me with happiness.