Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shull

Fiftieth Anniversary Third Strip For Season 2017/18

50 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

:blink:

I think it's meant to more a recognition of winning the second division, and he actually says...................well, you can read.

Seems more of a nostalgia trip than selling the idea as a week by week strip.

It's the 50th Anniversary next season of our beloved Club winning the Second Division Championship.

Let's get a carbon copy of their Kit for sale, in the Saints Shop in time for the new Season.

I think it would be a good seller .......

The team would only wear it on rare occasions or not at all as it would be the Third Kit..

You get it, Sir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a reasonable and original idea to make a Thread out of. 

Unfortunately, some foam at the mouth at a Poster's name before reading properly the Thread Starter's content. 

Very sad and biased 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Deep breath 

That's better. 

Lessons learned 

:zipit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shull said:

I thought it was a reasonable and original idea to make a Thread out of. 

Unfortunately, some foam at the mouth at a Poster's name before reading properly the Thread Starter's content. 

Very sad and biased 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Deep breath 

That's better. 

Lessons learned 

:zipit

Change your user name to Stuart Dickson. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the better anniversary to celebrate this coming season is the 140th year anniversary of the club being founded? If we celebrated anniversaries of winning the second tier we'd have one every other year! 

Still it's a nice idea... I don't like the socks though. 

Any word on when next seasons kit will be announced? Would love to see it at last home game of the season on general sale not long after.  More likely will be revealed at player of the year dinner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

If we celebrated anniversaries of winning the second tier we'd have one every other year! 

 

We've only won the 2nd tier Championship 4 times. 

SBS likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We've only won the 2nd tier Championship 4 times. 


Still seems a bit excessive to me. I think as a club we have other better achievements to celebrate the anniversary of other than a second division title. Would rather see something for our 140th anniversary or wait a couple years and do something for 60th anniversary of 59 cup win or a couple years more it'll be 100th anniversary of first Scottish cup won't it?

I suppose the flip side is if that is the 50th anniversary since first time we won it the. It's possible but it might be over kill. Still I don't think it's a big enough achievement for our club to mark. Let's remember only reason we don't win it that much is because we've historically been in the top league more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good time for the Anniversary next Season while some of the Legends are still with us to tell us about their memories of that particular era. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, shull said:

Good time for the Anniversary next Season while some of the Legends are still with us to tell us about their memories of that particular era. 

I hope they do something for the 1959 heroes on the 60th.  Will potentially be the last major anniversary any of them are still with us.  I know we've lost a few over the last five years :( 

shull likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sold on the strip idea, but whit a f*cken team that was. The team that seduced me into becoming a lifetime supporter. Lost only one game that season IIRC. 

shull likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Not sold on the strip idea, but whit a f*cken team that was. The team that seduced me into becoming a lifetime supporter. Lost only one game that season IIRC. 

Lost...........

East Fife away in the League

Ayr Utd x2 League Cup

Dundee Utd away in Scottish Cup.

 

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Prog_Season.php?season=1967

madmitch likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2017 at 10:10 AM, Gosport Buddie said:

No team should have a third strip. Just another way to fleece the fans out of more money. Did the 1st team ever wear the 135th Anniversary strip?

Yes

paul-mcgowan-st-mirren-image-1-815920722

1043084d1460657657-saints-coming-2016-kc

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair
shull likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Thanks HSS I should have been more specific. When I said lost only one game ,I meant lost only one league game.

 

I knew what you meant. Only losing 4 in a season is brilliant so I thought I'd share.

Edited by HSS
madmitch likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HSS said:

I knew what you meant. Only losing 4 in a season is brilliant so I thought I'd share.

Make that 5. We also lost to Morton in the Renfrewshire cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current team are not fit to wear this iconic strip. This was St Mirren in their hey day with amazing players like Gilshan, Adamson, Kane, Adamson, Fulton, Duffy, Pinkerton, Blair and many more. The only times I ever seen a net get burst was when Adamson did it TWICE in a season.

madmitch and shull like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sandy said:

The current team are not fit to wear this iconic strip. This was St Mirren in their hey day with amazing players like Gilshan, Adamson, Kane, Adamson, Fulton, Duffy, Pinkerton, Blair and many more. The only times I ever seen a net get burst was when Adamson did it TWICE in a season.

Saw Gordon McQueen burst the net at Love Street as well. 

Gordon Urquhart, Sandy and shull like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sandy said:

The current team are not fit to wear this iconic strip. This was St Mirren in their hey day with amazing players like Gilshan, Adamson, Kane, Adamson, Fulton, Duffy, Pinkerton, Blair and many more. The only times I ever seen a net get burst was when Adamson did it TWICE in a season.

I would argue St Mirren's hey-day was the period in which Fergie's Furies won promotion, which then lead to four Scottish Cup semi-finals in the 80s, a cup win, a third place league finish, a diet of European football and top flight football. I'm absolutely confident that the period 1977-1987 trumps every other... to date.

Sonny likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I would argue St Mirren's hey-day was the period in which Fergie's Furies won promotion, which then lead to four Scottish Cup semi-finals in the 80s, a cup win, a third place league finish, a diet of European football and top flight football. I'm absolutely confident that the period 1977-1987 trumps every other... to date.

I lived both the 60s and 70 teams , and the 60s shades it for me ,68 in particular ,  a full year unbeaten in the league , probably the only time we've had real consistency in our history !

Sandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I would argue St Mirren's hey-day was the period in which Fergie's Furies won promotion, which then lead to four Scottish Cup semi-finals in the 80s, a cup win, a third place league finish, a diet of European football and top flight football. I'm absolutely confident that the period 1977-1987 trumps every other... to date.

I know what you mean when you reel off the stats but the team in the 60's had a special magic. They were unbeaten all season and amazingly exciting. People would hold their breath every time Adamson or Kane got the ball as they knew something special was about to happen. With Pinkerton on the wing he would dance round defenders and Billy Fulton would give a special display of ball skills before the second half began. He would play keepie uppie and do a back flip and then the ball would land on his neck and even other teams were amazed at the skill. Those were exciting times that I have never quite seen again even though your point is valid. Kane would regularly score goals of the caliber of Tommy Gemils famous European goal that people speak of. You know it was special when the team names are still cemented in your head 50 years later.

pozbaird likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sandy said:

I know what you mean when you reel off the stats but the team in the 60's had a special magic. They were unbeaten all season and amazingly exciting. People would hold their breath every time Adamson or Kane got the ball as they knew something special was about to happen. With Pinkerton on the wing he would dance round defenders and Billy Fulton would give a special display of ball skills before the second half began. He would play keepie uppie and do a back flip and then the ball would land on his neck and even other teams were amazed at the skill. Those were exciting times that I have never quite seen again even though your point is valid. Kane would regularly score goals of the caliber of Tommy Gemils famous European goal that people speak of. You know it was special when the team names are still cemented in your head 50 years later.

I was born in 1961 so my era is obviously a bit later. My first-ever St Mirren game was the opening game of what turned out to be the Fergie's Furies title win season, with all the excitement that came with it. I had no idea at the time though. I just wandered down to the game v East Fife because I was in Listen Records on the High Street, not doing anything, and two blokes wearing St Mirren scarves came in... I thought to myself 'might as well go to the game'. Went in as a Johnstone Burgh fan, came out 90 minutes later as a St Mirren fan. It really was that simple. Wish I could meet those two guys... chunts deserve a kicking for the 1990s and the 2010 LC final. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Wish I could meet those two guys... chunts deserve a kicking for the 1990s and the 2010 LC final. :lol:

They both probably chucked it after Hammarby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0