Super Stelios

1 hour ago, Drew said:

From that list, my priority would be Loy. He was excellent after his fitness improved, and he linked well with Smith.  I understand that he wants to stay, and, if so, that's a bunus.

I agree that Davis now looks unlikely. He has been released from his parent club so can pretty much suit himself, now, and he'll reckon there is more poppy to be had elsewhere.

O'Brien is a good young 'keeper, but we could probably source someone of his standard without too much difficulty - and we might have done so already with Stewart.

The only think I can cling to in terms of Davis is the injury which will see his choice of clubs reduced drastically compared to what it would have been had he remained fit.

15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The only think I can cling to in terms of Davis is the injury which will see his choice of clubs reduced drastically compared to what it would have been had he remained fit.

Aye, you'd have to think that would have a bearing, though I still suspect he will be taking his chances on the basis that he will, when fit, be able to command a higher wage elsewhere.

I reckon he would do well to take a year with Saints on reasonable terms, build up his fitness, and put himself back in the shop window. That said, wtf do I know? :)

14 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Would be Jack's first truly bizarre decision to sign up Gary Irvine over Stelios.

Irvine improved immensely last season when he was moved to right back. I also believe he already had another year on his contract, so he was already signed up.

13 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I believe Jack has offered Stelios a deal but if he chooses not to take it then Jack can hardly be blamed.

I'm not for blaming anybody but the responsibility could be with the manager surely depending on what the offer was?

TBH I'm not on the Stelios is the "boy wonder" some make him out to be but, at the same, time, he's certainly a decent enough player for the diddy league we're in.

IMO, Stelios is the sort of full back who would be good in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 system:

Stewart

Baird - Mackenzie - Buchanan

Stelios - Magennis - McGinn - Eckersley

Smith - Loy - Morgan

With Stevie Mallan away, this system effectively replaces Mallan with Stelios in terms of numbers, allows Magennis to move into the centre and Buchanan replaces Irvine.

Would love Stelios to stay. Would certainly have him over Irvine. However, Irvine triggered an extra year due to performances, and Stelios might very well have better offers elsewhere.

Whatever happens on the Stelios situation won't make or break our season, although it'd be a big boost to the fans, who have really taken to the boy, if he were to stay, which I think he will.

2 hours ago, Clydebanksaint said:

My thistle supporting mate was telling me yesterday that they have had the boy Murray from the arabs down past couple weeks looking around and have been talking to stelios as well 

Heard Murray was off to Hibs...

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not for blaming anybody but the responsibility could be with the manager surely depending on what the offer was?

TBH I'm not on the Stelios is the "boy wonder" some make him out to be but, at the same, time, he's certainly a decent enough player for the diddy league we're in.

These days I do not know who makes the cash offer - manager or Chief Exec? I would expect it to be Tony who does the negotiating but if a premiership Club comes in then it would be difficult to maybe match wages. I like Stelios and would love him to stay but I do not think it is that easy. Irvine has been good at right back and if he has triggered a contract extension then our hands are tied a wee bit. There is only so much we can offer any player otherwise its a downward spiral. Hope Stelios signs but if a premiership team offer a bigger platform and bigger wages he would be a fool to turn it down.

57 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Irvine improved immensely last season when he was moved to right back. I also believe he already had another year on his contract, so he was already signed up.

Fair enough, would still be strange to favour him as a first choice over Stelios and offer reduced terms.  

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

I believe Jack has offered Stelios a deal but if he chooses not to take it then Jack can hardly be blamed.

Jack can be blamed if he has offered him a salary decrease.  He is such a rare & versatile player, I don't understand why we would risk him going elsewhere.

Should point out I have no idea if he has offered him a reduced deal, just going by what is above.

On 13/05/2017 at 0:25 PM, Lord Pityme said:

Funny chain of events, Stelios signs, scores some crackers, plays well, is dropped apparently due to illness, comes back, scores plays well, still not first choice, heads home asap after last game, agent punting him online.

was there perhaps a bit of a disconnect between him and Ross? Maybe Stelios thought he was better than Ross thought he was?

Funny thing Karma.... 

how very dare i speculate, and look to have pinned something?

Irvine was 1 of our better player from January onward after the manager started to play him at his best position and deserved his new deal for next season. We won plenty of games without Stellios in the team but like the rest of us, I would love to see him resign.

13 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Would like Stellios to stay as well but if he wants to move on thats his choice ,players come and go , its the business we are in.

Indeed.

As much as it would be good to see him re-sign, I won't be throwing my toys out of the pram if he doesn't.

I'd rather we were focussing on signing Loy TBH.

2 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Irvine was 1 of our better player from January onward after the manager started to play him at his best position and deserved his new deal for next season. We won plenty of games without Stellios in the team but like the rest of us, I would love to see him resign.

I seem to remember Drew telling us that Irvine wouldn't improve if he was moved to the right.

He said it around the same time as he said that he didn't see where McGinn was going to fit into our midfield.

:lol:

8 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

I seem to remember Drew telling us that Irvine wouldn't improve if he was moved to the right.

He said it around the same time as he said that he didn't see where McGinn was going to fit into our midfield.

FFS !

14 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

I also seem to remember you boring everybody to death about what Drew said and you are still doing it :wacko:

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Didn't Drew also put his hands up and admit he was quite happy to be proven wrong on both counts?  

Bit odd that it's still used as a stick to beat him with. 

I certainly did in respect of Irvine, and was happy to do so.

I was very happy with the McGinn signing from day one (evident from the first page of the McGinn thread on here), so have no idea where that is coming from, other than the poor Cap's fevered imagination.

Edited by Drew

2 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

WHAT???????? DISGRACE!!!

You surely must phone the police immediately.....

I hear they are quiet at this time of the year.