Super Stelios

Just get the feeling that Stelios (possibly more his agent?), sees the grass as being greener on the other side of someone else's fence. Looking at his career in general, he's been nomadic to say the least. I have a sneaking suspicion he may get a better weekly pay packet elsewhere, but another move, another club, another country? I cannot see him, with all due respect as he's clearly talented, getting a move that is a noticeable step up from playing at St Mirren. Or a move where anyone would guarantee him a starting berth. We are on the up, a stable club in a stable country where he'll get paid on time and the league is credible and for all its faults, not without merit and decent excitement.

Good luck to him wherever he goes. I genuinely believe he should stay here, and if he shines in an improving St Mirren, Jack will play him and he might earn a move in the near future.

I'll stick my neck out and say if he moves, it'll be to someone we've never heard of in his homeland, or the Bulgarian league, or somewhere like that. Then he'll move from there in another season or two.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Aye, nomadic was very much the description I had in mind.

There are too few characters in fitba these days, but if its not to be we move on.

Indeed. The memory of his time here to be filed in the drawer marked 'Jure Travner and other full backs with foreign names'.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Indeed. The memory of his time here to be filed in the drawer marked 'Jure Travner and other full backs with foreign names'.

Naw, I'd file him in the same folder as Isma: instant cult hero who weighed in with a few key goals and then f**ked off.

Guest TPAFKATS
Naw, I'd file him in the same folder as Isma: instant cult hero who weighed in with a few key goals and then f**ked off.

That's it!
I'd like him to stay with us but if not, he leaves as a cult figure just not quite the hero status our cup winning Portuguese shagger enjoys.

Awra best Stelios!

33 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Aye, a better summary of his place in the St Mirren scheme of things. We do however, have a reasonably big drawer for defenders with foreign names who we took a shine to, but they fcuked off. :D

12 minutes ago, santo said:

Asides from O`Brien and Stelios who out of last year`s squad has yet to resign?

Edited to add: Rory Loy

Harry Davis, Rory Loy, Billy O'Brien, Stelios.

Craig Storie obviously has returned to Aberdeen.
O'Brien can now be ruled out.
Loy still has a year to go at Dens, but we have talked to Dundee about him according to John Nelms.
Stelios now looking very unlikely.
Davis has to be in the unlikely category too.

If it had been made abundantly clear to me that, no matter how well I played, I was going to be back out of the side the following week, I would need to be devoid of other options before you'd find me signing up for more of the same.

Maybe different if you are young guy, or it's Marcelo and Dani Alves who are keeping you out of the side.

Stelios is in peak years and it's two 30+ journey men who are keeping him out.

19 minutes ago, div said:

Harry Davis, Rory Loy, Billy O'Brien, Stelios.

Craig Storie obviously has returned to Aberdeen.
O'Brien can now be ruled out.
Loy still has a year to go at Dens, but we have talked to Dundee about him according to John Nelms.
Stelios now looking very unlikely.
Davis has to be in the unlikely category too.

Fjelde also. I'd heard there was an option of a year with him too.

Stellios is a Maverick , Jacks words- and I would always like that option , however he would never be a regular cause like Mavericks he cant be tamed by rules and structure..

Again- I trust Jacks judgement- therefore for me that's it, tries and gets someone- fails- shame

Has someone doesn't 100% want them - Bye

4 hours ago, div said:

I've been tweeting him a bit, seems fair to assume that he's been offered a deal but that the numbers aren't what him or his agent are looking for.

He wants to stay going by his tweets, but it's looking increasingly unlikely that is going to happen unfortunately.

For me having a guy who can play left back or right back, and who gets forward from those positions and can score goals is a very worthwhile asset to have in the squad.

Shame, but I guess we move on.

Hope we go balls out and improve the offer. Stelios is a cracking player and in his own way genuine box office. The entertainment value ramps up when he is on the field. The guy obviously loves it at Saints and that's a biggie for the support. I hope Jack finds the cash somewhere. No harm to the Alloa left back but if we want to fill the stands then we need to get the team that saved the Club back together and Super Stelios is a key ingredient.

I feel it's a bit of a chance missed in not signing Stelios. The guy offers a great deal on either side of defence. I don't really buy into this he is a poor defender talk.

We will need cover for both Eckersley and Irvine and I feel stelios fits that bill perfectly. Throw in the fact that he has a great attacking side to his game and linked up really well with Morgan and you have those positions effectively covered by one player.

I heard he was offered reduced terms from what he was previously on and the fact Jack didn't play him in the final and in several other of the key games in the closing weeks I can see why stelios is keeping his options open.

An opportunity missed should he move on but I live in hope that he signs up for the title winning season.

We were on fire. It`s such a shame the season had to end.

I have absolute faith in JR but I can`t shrug off this feeling of disappointment.

We should be doing everything we can to keep all of the players from last season.

I understand Mallan had to go but what about O`Brien?

Wasn`t Billy part of the incredible team spirit? Surely he deserved a chance over Samson? (in saying that,  I`m not unhappy with Samson).

JR`s transfer dealing have been unbelievable so far...but it`s hard to get excited about signing players from Albion Rovers.

Not a boo boy! Just maybe on on a come-down from the euphoria of last season.