Super Stelios

What a guy ....

The Cypriot star was back on the goal trail as the Buddies ran out 3-1 winners over Falkirk, firing the equaliser following Nathan Austin’s early opener.

The result was the Paisley side’s first win on the first day of the campaign since 2006, when they defeated Inverness Caledonian Thistle away from home.

But Stelios says he didn’t pay the record much attention having become so accustomed to winning since joining the side in January.

Stelios said: “No, I wasn’t aware of the record because since I’ve been here we haven’t lost much. We win games.

“From what I know, and from what the manager has passed on to us, it’s all about having that winning mentality in the club and the dressing room.

“That was exactly how we wanted to start the season.

“We know we didn’t start the game well but we showed the attitude of a team that wants to be high up the league and achieve something this season.

“We came back and showed that we want to be up there.

“It was the best start we could have asked for.”

Having got their Championship campaign off to a flying start, Stelios insists that St Mirren must focus their attention on achieving promotion this season.

And the full back revealed he has been left impressed with the players around him in the squad.

Stelios added: “Realistically, with what we have shown and the players we have got at the club, we have got to be up there and among the play-offs.

“It is a strong league, with the likes of Falkirk being up there before and Dundee United and Inverness all wanting to go up too.

“There is a lot of talent in this side.

“We have a lot of potential with the likes of Cammy Smith and Lewis Morgan.

“The new guys too, Gavin Reilly, Ross Stewart and Jordan Kirkpatrick, they are still young and they have got ambitions.”

After opening his account for the season, Stelios raced towards the supporters in trademark fashion to celebrate with them.

And he has promised to do the same throughout the season as he looks to repay them for their loyalty.

He said: “Everyone knows what I think of the supporters – I love them.

I think they have shown what I mean to them, they are glad that I am here, and I am glad to be here, so every time I score in front of them, I will run to them because they deserve the happiness and I want to share my goal with them.”

Edited by Sonny

Its tremendous having a big character at the club. There are too few genuine characters in fitba these days.

Stelios isn't just a character, though, he's also a very good player, and, with the input of our coaching staff, I reckon he will only improve.

Great guy.

He was a class above on Saturday throughout the full game. Brilliant to watch him on the ball. Way he took his goal and his celebration were a joy to watch. He'll be a big player for us this season. Will be interesting to see what Jack Ross does when Eckersley is properly back.

Super Stelios has got to play every week. I would have him ahead of Eck but if Eck is playing then SS has to move one up and play wide left. The guy has goals in him as well as speed and the ability to beat a man. And so composed in the box - better than many strikers.

Love Stelios and on Saturday he did everything right, defensively he was sound, going forward he is immense, winding up the opposition he did so well one of them got sent off and his rallying of the support after he scored you could see it meant something to him.

Was so happy when he signed on again and hope he is with us for some time yet after this season

53 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

He was a class above on Saturday throughout the full game. Brilliant to watch him on the ball. Way he took his goal and his celebration were a joy to watch. He'll be a big player for us this season. Will be interesting to see what Jack Ross does when Eckersley is properly back.

He's terrific. Jack will have a decision to make when Eck is match fit, but Stelios must play somewhere. Fans love him, opposition fans hate him - top man.

19 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Irvine had a poor game playing left back a few weeks ago.

Other than one early slip he had a great game against Falkirk and was one of our best players!

Like the rest of our defence, he was woeful for the first fifteen/ twenty minutes or so, and offered little or no resistance to their wide players.

However, as you say, he had a great game after that.

I really don't think Stelios can be dropped for Eckersley, based on his performances and overall contribution to our team so far.

Our main strength, is going forward. That is somewhat diminished if you take Stelios out of the team. He's a potent goal threat too.

If JR puts in Eckersley at LB, I'd play Stelios at RB in place of Irvine, simply for the reasons I mentioned previously.

Edited by FTOF

If he listens to the so called experts :lol: on here regarding Team selection and tactics then we better start preparing for League One in 2018/19.

Only one change needed and Jack will soon suss that we need a proper goalkeeper. 

Ross's only blunder so far. 

1 minute ago, shull said:

If he listens to the so called experts :lol: on here regarding Team selection and tactics then we better start preparing for League One in 2018/19.

Only one change needed and Jack will soon suss that we need a proper goalkeeper

Aye, you're an experienced football manager................................oh wait. :lol:

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It'll be interesting to see what Ross does when everyone is fit.

It looked like he was more in favour of Eckersley last season.

Can he play who he wants or buckle under pressure from the support?

I'm sure he already has.

When Eckersley was fit he played him last year, when a fair proportion of fans wanted Stelios on the park.

I like Eckersley as a player and feel that he's one of the best LB's in the league. He's generally solid and dependable.

Difficult decision, but it's great to have strength in depth at the back.

Edited by FTOF

3 minutes ago, shull said:

Only one change needed and Jack will soon suss that we need a proper goalkeeper

You're a walking, posting parody...

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, you're an experienced football manager................................oh wait. :lol:

So obvious that Samson.will cost us many points this Season.