Super Stelios

Attack. Attack, Attack Attack Attack

is our best defensive option[emoji14]

I agree... We had Magennis, Smith, McGinn, Mallan, Loy and Sutton attacking yesterday.

More than half the team.

Against a team like Falkirk, to do so without a solid defence is akin to a kamikaze mission.

2 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

And if he hadn't been playing against Hibs, who are better than Falkirk, David Gray would have had a much easier night and we might have got a 0-0.

I think the eagerness to paint Stelios as a bombscre defensively is turning Adam Eckersley into Paulo Maldini.

Apart from the very occasional rush of blood, Stellios is actually a very solid defender.

I'd certainly play him next week v united.

Just now, FTOF said:

Apart from the very occasional rush of blood, Stellios is actually a very solid defender.

I'd certainly play him next week v united.

He'd be the first full back on my team sheet every week, on either side. No one playing at this level is devoid of flaws and all things considered I'll take the marauding, goalscoring fullback who can beat his man consistently.

The bottom line is that, over the decades, I've seen a lot of players come and go from this club who couldn't influence a game to save themselves, so it pains me when we've got someone on the payroll who very much can influence a game, but he's not on the field.

I don't want to this guy turning out for Ross County or someone next season. I'd rather he was here.

I wasn't 100% convinced by Eckersley yesterday. He looked more like a player coming back from an injury than a brief suspension. At times he stepped back from a tackle in key areas, when more commitment was required.

It wasn't a poor performance, but there was something missing for me. I reckon we would have taken the 3 points had we not stood off Falkirk at times. We gave them too much space when we should have been pressing them, and I think Eck was as guilty as anyone in that regard.

I'd start Stelios ahead of him more often than not - I think has has more to his game and offers something that wee bit different that leaves opposition players second guessing.

Edited by Drew

I would advise anyone to go back to the Morton game highlights and watch the Morton goal. Stelios was pushing upfield, he went in for a tackle to win the ball, was a baw hair away from winning it, but the Morton player came away with the ball. What did Stelios do? Watch the footage and watch him, not the Morton player breaking forward. Stelios jumped up and ran back at full pelt almost the length of the field. He hesitated at the end, anticipating a cut-back. If he'd just kept going he would have cut the cross out. It was a valiant effort. The likes of Jason Naismith would have been blowing out his arse. No offence to Jason.

Apart from his goals, apart from being two-footed, apart from being a threat, apart from being skillful, and apart from having a great engine and looking like he cares... I cannot see what Stelios brings to St Mirren. Time we got rid of this dud.

:)

Edited by pozbaird

Stelios played a blinder against Hibs, scored 2 goals and was subsequently dropped. Played great again against Morton scoring 1 and nearly scoring 2. If he had been dropped against Falkirk it would have told him in no uncertain terms that he wasn't favoured at the Club. You cannot have a guy play great then dropped the next game. Especially when Eck was out due to his own stupidity. We must be the fastest team in the Championship just now. Stelios loves attacking and is part of that onslaught. Play him as he is an entertainer as well as a decent footballer.

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

I agree... We had Magennis, Smith, McGinn, Mallan, Loy and Sutton attacking yesterday.

More than half the team.

Against a team like Falkirk, to do so without a solid defence is akin to a kamikaze mission.

If we can score 6 to their 2 or 4 to their 1 then that will do me :)

We get beat but are entertained. But Stelios is not the liability he seems to being made out to be. Eck is slow and steady. Stelios is exciting and attacks. A couple of times yesterday Eck went forward and even though there was space in front of him he launched it to the far post hoping to find Sutton. Stelios would have bombed into the space and had a shot. That is my preferred option.

Edited by Sonny

47 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We get beat but are entertained. But Stelios is not the liability he seems to being made out to be. Eck is slow and steady. Stelios is exciting and attacks. A couple of times yesterday Eck went forward and even though there was space in front of him he launched it to the far post hoping to find Sutton. Stelios would have bombed into the space and had a shot. That is my preferred option.

I wasn't suggesting Demetriou isn't capable. Just that JR seems to prefer Eckersley style in the left back role. If Stelios gets a start I'll be just as happy as he brings a lot to the table.