Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
renfrew bud

Super Stelios

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, bud84 said:

What was that song being sung towards the end of last season

'que sera sera' that will be the end of that then.

They guys been out the country since the season finished,  considering is for a family wedding I'd say it was already pre planned,  do you honestly expect him to cut short a trip home just to appease a few folk on here  moaning he's not signed yet?

 

 

 

Mate I have no idea what he is doing all I'm saying if the Thistle story is ( true ) then I would expect him to sign for Thistle. This is 2017 Stelios could be in New Zealand does it matter as players have agents plus communications now are far better than it was 50 years ago :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't understand the furore surrounding Stelios, he's a good option to have but he's hardly Lionel Messi.

I'd like to have him back and I'm pretty sure he will be but I won't be losing sleep if he chooses to ply his trade elsewhere. Constant pestering on social media seems a bit much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stelios has allegedly been offered terms that are lower than he was on so I genuinely can't see him being a buddie next season.

I heard the radio interview with Jack Ross on radio Scotland a couple of weeks ago and got the vibe that Jack Ross doesn't rate him as the best defensive option on either side of defence.

I think Stelios is a real fans favourite but money talks and feel he will sign for say Thistle or any other team, anywhere in the world, that offers him decent terms.

I would personally like to see him sign as I feel on his day he isn't anywhere near as dodgy at the back as people are hinting at and has much more in his locker offensively than Eckersley or Irvine.

I also can't see Davis signing given our recent signings as think what he will be looking for will be out with our price bracket with the same applying to O'Brien and possibly Loy unless Dundee come to some arrangement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Zo said:

Stelios has allegedly been offered terms that are lower than he was on so I genuinely can't see him being a buddie next season.

I heard the radio interview with Jack Ross on radio Scotland a couple of weeks ago and got the vibe that Jack Ross doesn't rate him as the best defensive option on either side of defence.

I think Stelios is a real fans favourite but money talks and feel he will sign for say Thistle or any other team, anywhere in the world, that offers him decent terms.

I would personally like to see him sign as I feel on his day he isn't anywhere near as dodgy at the back as people are hinting at and has much more in his locker offensively than Eckersley or Irvine.

I also can't see Davis signing given our recent signings as think what he will be looking for will be out with our price bracket with the same applying to O'Brien and possibly Loy unless Dundee come to some arrangement.

From that list, my priority would be Loy. He was excellent after his fitness improved, and he linked well with Smith.  I understand that he wants to stay, and, if so, that's a bunus.

I agree that Davis now looks unlikely. He has been released from his parent club so can pretty much suit himself, now, and he'll reckon there is more poppy to be had elsewhere.

O'Brien is a good young 'keeper, but we could probably source someone of his standard without too much difficulty - and we might have done so already with Stewart.

 

Edited by Drew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew said:

From that list, my priority would be Loy. He was excellent after his fitness improved, and he linked well with Smith.  I understand that he wants to stay, and, if so, that's a bunus.

I agree that Davis now looks unlikely. He has been released from his parent club so can pretty much suit himself, now, and he'll reckon there is more poppy to be had elsewhere.

O'Brien is a good young 'keeper, but we could probably source someone of his standard without too much difficulty - and we might have done so already with Stewart.

 

The only think I can cling to in terms of Davis is the injury which will see his choice of clubs reduced drastically compared to what it would have been had he remained fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The only think I can cling to in terms of Davis is the injury which will see his choice of clubs reduced drastically compared to what it would have been had he remained fit.

Aye, you'd have to think that would have a bearing, though I still suspect he will be taking his chances on the basis that he will, when fit, be able to command a higher wage elsewhere.

I reckon he would do well to take a year with Saints on reasonable terms, build up his fitness, and put himself back in the shop window. That said, wtf do I know? :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Would be Jack's first truly bizarre decision to sign up Gary Irvine over Stelios.

Irvine improved immensely last season when he was moved to right back. I also believe he already had another year on his contract, so he was already signed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I believe Jack has offered Stelios a deal but if he chooses not to take it then Jack can hardly be blamed.

I'm not for blaming anybody but the responsibility could be with the manager surely depending on what the offer was?

TBH I'm not on the Stelios is the "boy wonder" some make him out to be but, at the same, time, he's certainly a decent enough player for the diddy league we're in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, Stelios is the sort of full back who would be good in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 system:

Stewart

Baird - Mackenzie - Buchanan

Stelios - Magennis - McGinn - Eckersley

Smith - Loy - Morgan

With Stevie Mallan away, this system effectively replaces Mallan with Stelios in terms of numbers, allows Magennis to move into the centre and Buchanan replaces Irvine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love Stelios to stay. Would certainly have him over Irvine. However, Irvine triggered an extra year due to performances, and Stelios might very well have better offers elsewhere.

Whatever happens on the Stelios situation won't make or break our season, although it'd be a big boost to the fans, who have really taken to the boy, if he were to stay, which I think he will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clydebanksaint said:

My thistle supporting mate was telling me yesterday that they have had the boy Murray from the arabs down past couple weeks looking around and have been talking to stelios as well 

Heard Murray was off to Hibs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not for blaming anybody but the responsibility could be with the manager surely depending on what the offer was?

TBH I'm not on the Stelios is the "boy wonder" some make him out to be but, at the same, time, he's certainly a decent enough player for the diddy league we're in.

These days I do not know who makes the cash offer - manager or Chief Exec? I would expect it to be Tony who does the negotiating but if a premiership Club comes in then it would be difficult to maybe match wages. I like Stelios and would love him to stay but I do not think it is that easy. Irvine has been good at right back and if he has triggered a contract extension then our hands are tied a wee bit. There is only so much we can offer any player otherwise its a downward spiral. Hope Stelios signs but if a premiership team offer a bigger platform and bigger wages he would be a fool to turn it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Irvine improved immensely last season when he was moved to right back. I also believe he already had another year on his contract, so he was already signed up.

Fair enough, would still be strange to favour him as a first choice over Stelios and offer reduced terms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sonny said:

I believe Jack has offered Stelios a deal but if he chooses not to take it then Jack can hardly be blamed.

Jack can be blamed if he has offered him a salary decrease.  He is such a rare & versatile player, I don't understand why we would risk him going elsewhere.

Should point out I have no idea if he has offered him a reduced deal, just going by what is above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2017 at 0:25 PM, Lord Pityme said:

Funny chain of events, Stelios signs, scores some crackers, plays well, is dropped apparently due to illness, comes back, scores plays well, still not first choice, heads home asap after last game, agent punting him online.

was there perhaps a bit of a disconnect between him and Ross? Maybe Stelios thought he was better than Ross thought he was?

Funny thing Karma.... 

how very dare i speculate, and look to have pinned something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Would be Jack's first truly bizarre decision to sign up Gary Irvine over Stelios.

Irvine activated a one year extension through appearances last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Irvine was 1 of our better player from January onward after the manager started to play him at his best position and deserved his new deal for next season. We won plenty of games without Stellios in the team but like the rest of us, I would love to see him resign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Would like Stellios to stay as well but if he wants to move on thats his choice ,players come and go , its the business we are in.

Indeed.

As much as it would be good to see him re-sign, I won't be throwing my toys out of the pram if he doesn't.

I'd rather we were focussing on signing Loy TBH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Irvine was 1 of our better player from January onward after the manager started to play him at his best position and deserved his new deal for next season. We won plenty of games without Stellios in the team but like the rest of us, I would love to see him resign.

I seem to remember Drew telling us that Irvine wouldn't improve if he was moved to the right.

He said it around the same time as he said that he didn't see where McGinn was going to fit into our midfield.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

I seem to remember Drew telling us that Irvine wouldn't improve if he was moved to the right.

He said it around the same time as he said that he didn't see where McGinn was going to fit into our midfield.

:lol:

FFS !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

I seem to remember Drew telling us that Irvine wouldn't improve if he was moved to the right.

He said it around the same time as he said that he didn't see where McGinn was going to fit into our midfield.

:lol:

I also seem to remember you boring everybody to death about what Drew said and you are still doing it :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×