St Mirren v Raith Rovers Championship 29/4/17

shull

27 minutes ago, Mr Zo said:

If it's full prices for this game then don't see the crowd being more than 4,500 for what is undoubtedly our biggest game of the season so far and arguably one of the biggest in our history.

This is Hugh Murray at Stirling Albion territory all those years ago. We have to win this game to give us a chance of finishing outside the bottom two and avoiding the straight drop or the pressure pot of the play offs.

There seems to have been this belief amongst our support for a number of weeks that we will win this game and it's a bit of given but this is going to be extremely difficult. John Hughes is no mug and I can't see an Ayr 6-2 home win for the buds. This matters so much to Raith too and they will fighting for everything just like ourselves.

Raith will beat Hibs midweek. This game will be massive and the nerves amongst the support and players will be tangible and hopefully doesn't adversely affect us as Raith will be no pushovers.

Jack Ross has been receiving plenty of plaudits for what he has done for St Mirren in the last 2-3 months and this must rankle with the Raith and Dumbarton as they haven't done too badly themselves in the last 6 or 7 weeks when the pressure has been on them.

Time is running out for us and we have achieved nothing yet but win our next two games and we can stay up.

We have to win this to have any chance of finishing outside the bottom two. Still plenty of twists to come in the remaining two league games but what a game this is sure to be.

Raith are 7/1 to beat Hibs with William Hill.  If you are so certain then now is the time to back it.:)

We all know it's nowhere not over., Every single one of us is checking tables, goal difference, who's to be played. We'll all see at Easter Road. I'll be there from Tillicoultry, ma brother from Northern Ireland. We're not Buddies, we are ST f**king mirren fans

1 hour ago, scottd said:

Might have guessed that the King of Cataclysm would choose this opportunity to make a return.:rolleyes:

The club is financially secure unlike in 1998 when the baw really was on the slates.

I am not hinting that it isn't secure. But let's not overlook the fact that it will impact our future. It will be the lowest level we have played and only yesterday our chief executive said it would be a "disaster". I think you need to wake up mate I wasn't saying we'd go bust but this could shape our future. 

Is this right

If

Hibs beat Raith midweek we are 1 point behind Raith

If saints beat Raith we go 2 clear of Raith

If Hibs win at Ayr we go 5 points ahead and can't finish bottom

Ayr effectively relegated due to goal difference

Raith v Ayr on last
Saints away to Hibs

Saints need a result to finish 8th as Raith will probably beat Ayr

Huge IFs

Not counted Dumbarton as they are safe imo

19 minutes ago, MarkL said:

Is this right

If

Raith v Ayr on last
Saints away to Hibs

Huge IFs

In simple terms, if we win our last two games, we'll more thank likely stay up. 

No point in thinking of all other scenarios until this time next week as there are far too many.

Lets see where we are going to Easter Road, remember, at this point we could be 7th going there or 10th. That's how mental this is. 

Next fortnight is going to be torture. 

Am I correct in saying Gary Mackenzie is suspended for this? 5th booking in the league yesterday.

EDIT - seemingly it's 18 points for a suspension with yellows incurring a maximum of 3 so he should be okay. A booking next week though and he could well miss Easter Road.

Edited by Julian Banjos

1 hour ago, MarkL said:

Is this right

If

Raith v Ayr on last
Saints away to Hibs

Huge IFs

Almost. IF Hibs beat Raith and we beat Raith we will be 2 points ahead of Raith and AT LEAST 2 points ahead of Ayr so, given both teams can't win their final game, no matter Ayr's result we can't finish bottom. Ayr win. Raith relegated. Raith win. Ayr relegated. We're 9th. Draw and, no matter our result, we're 8th. I THINK. :blink:

I'm away for a lie down!

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

Almost. IF Hibs beat Raith and we beat Raith we will be 2 points ahead of Raith and AT LEAST 2 points ahead of Ayr so, given both teams can't win their final game, no matter Ayr's result we can't finish bottom. Ayr win. Raith relegated. Raith win. Ayr relegated. We're 9th. Draw and, no matter our result, we're 8th. I THINK. :blink:

I'm away for a lie down!

Brilliant, I didn't think of it like that. Come on the Hibees in midweek, worried that they might do a favour for big Yogi a former captain and manager. 

Am I correct in saying Gary Mackenzie is suspended for this? 5th booking in the league yesterday.
EDIT - seemingly it's 18 points for a suspension with yellows incurring a maximum of 3 so he should be okay. A booking next week though and he could well miss Easter Road.

Was thinking this myself. He got booked for showing that clown of a ref the stud marks on his stomach after 'that' challenge for Utd's goal. I'm sure he was telling the ref what he thought of him too, to be fair.
If he's suspended, it's a disaster. Arguably our most important player at both ends of the pitch.

Stelios can be a big game player - huge goals in key matches. He must start against Raith Rovers in my opinion. No offence to Gary Irvine - who has been great 2nd half of season - but get the Cypriot Assassin in from the off. Stelios looks better pushing forward from full back position so I'm not sure the midfield works for him (it was a worthwhile experiment non the less).

Hibs will be key to the run in - the best team in the league - but with nothing to play for - and playing the three strugglers in the last three games

The worst case scenario of Raith being 4 ahead going into this game would mean that even a solid victory for us would mean we would still trail by a 1 point (stating the obvious I know - sorry).

So in that scenario we would we want Ayr to also beat Hibs so that the last day Ayr v Raith is live for both teams?

Raith would be one ahead of us and we would be two ahead of Ayr - hmm difficult one.

Edited by southsidebud

2 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

I don't know how many bookings are needed but I think when someone goes over the threshold it takes a fortnight to kick in - so if Gary Mac gets booked next week it won't come into effect until either next season or the play-offs (might even be the second leg of the play-offs).

So annoying that two wins might not be enough but we have to at least get those two wins so that if the worst happens we go into the play-offs with momentum. Next week is the biggest game since Stirling in 1998 and we have to win it. Hope the players aren't too down following the nature of yesterday's defeat.

2 hours ago, RichardBuddie said:

Agreed, there's many variables now that can determine our outcome, other teams have done Hee haw to assist us!!

Really? What about the week we 'only' drew 1-1 at home to Dumbarton recently? We exited the stadium to discover two other results went our way and our point actually saw us off the bottom for what felt like the first time in ages?

Really? What about the week we 'only' drew 1-1 at home to Dumbarton recently? We exited the stadium to discover two other results went our way and our point actually saw us off the bottom for what felt like the first time in ages?

Fair point, I should have been clearer in specifically referencing Morton yesterday and last week against Raith and Ayr respectively which would have helped us big time!!

Just can't believe that it's came to this!!

1 hour ago, RichardBuddie said:

Fair point, I should have been clearer in specifically referencing Morton yesterday and last week against Raith and Ayr respectively which would have helped us big time!!

Just can't believe that it's came to this!!

Undoubtably we could have done with a few more results going our way in other games. It all helps. Mind you, last week, Gary Harkins rattled the bar with a belting free kick in the last seconds of their 0-0 draw against Dundee United. Such fine margins - a few inches lower and Ayr have another two points on the board. Apparently, a few weeks ago, Morton were hammering Dumbarton but lost... Shankland hit the bar, they had two cleared off the line, had a goal chalked off... squeaky bum time all round. I believe our bums will squeak less than others and we will avoid bottom spot. The playoff spot is another matter. Anything could happen.

Top places are settled so can see these teams taking aback seat until the play offs. That should mean bottom clubs picking up points so fully expect Hibs to lose to Rovers. That means we need to beat Rovers to keep ahead of Ayr which I fully expect.

Home and away cup final is not a bad way to end the season. Around Christmas I wrote a play off position would be success for St Mirren this season still think that will be the case going into the last two games. At least going to the football is exciting again some silly mistakes are happening however the overall effort from the team can not be faulted.