St Mirren v Raith Rovers Championship 29/4/17

shull

Just now, faraway saint said:

Noticed all your posts in the match day thread...........................oh wait, none after the game, preferring to whine about the referee than analyse the teams performance. :lol:

#thickasmince

Gerry Rafferty ? Are you liking him this week ? 

Twat that you are . 

Thought we played well on Saturday. Would have probably won the game if it hadn't been for some very strange decisions from the officials . 

Are you going to Raith game ? 

1 minute ago, munoz said:

Gerry Rafferty ? Are you liking him this week ? 

Twat that you are . 

Thought we played well on Saturday. Would have probably won the game if it hadn't been for some very strange decisions from the officials . 

Are you going to Raith game ? 

:lol:

Sorry, won't be at the Raith game, atmosphere, as I discovered the other week against Dumbarton, is shit.

Too many boo boys who are thick as mince and can't wait to have a go at anything for the sake of it.

Probably you. :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

:lol:

Sorry, won't be at the Raith game, atmosphere, as I discovered the other week against Dumbarton, is shit.

Too many boo boys who are thick as mince and can't wait to have a go at anything for the sake of it.

Probably you. :byebye

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

Have a look at yourself . 

That's a shame . No doubt you'll still have an expert opinion on the match proceedings.

23 minutes ago, scottd said:

Dunfermline, Morton and Partick all seemed to manage to survive it.  I just don't get this apocalyptic stuff.

Aye.

It would be pretty grim by any measure, but I've seen nothing to suggest that the catastrophising is warranted.

1 hour ago, shull said:

No it's not. 

Absolutely nowhere near the 1987 or 2013 Cup Final. 

I disagree in terms of importance. Both games were massive and fantastic days out and will always be a more enduring and positive memory than avoiding relegation but nobody HAS to win a cup final. Had we lost like in the game that shall not be named in 2010, we'd have simply carried on about or business. Gutting, yes but not end of the world stuff. 

The potential long term results of losing on Saturday and being relegated are massive, though. This game, whilst not as crucial as the Stirling game in 1997 given the circumstances of the time, is the biggest since then for me. We're not in an armageddon scenario if we go down but we'd be at genuine risk. 

For every Partick Thistle and Hamilton who spend a while at that level before rebounding, there's an Airdrie, Ayr, Clyde. Big full time clubs pressing for top flight football only 2 decades ago who are now destined to be also rans in the country as their core support decided to bail on them and now struggle to draw punters. 

I'm confident we'd be more Partick than Airdrie but I'd rather not be in the position to risk us going that route. 

The likes of Airdrie, Clyde and Ayr have never been that well supported, certainly not in the last 30 or so years.  It could be argued that these teams have found their level whereas the likes of Partick and ourselves have a higher natural level as we are better supported.

As I have said, ten games ago we would have bitten off hands to be in this position. Ayr, Raith and Sons are picking up points, as are we.....

We have been the best team for last ten games and the worst team for 24 games, I am happy its still pretty much in our hands 

2 minutes ago, scottd said:

The likes of Airdrie, Clyde and Ayr have never been that well supported, certainly not in the last 30 or so years.  It could be argued that these teams have found their level whereas the likes of Partick and ourselves have a higher natural level as we are better supported.

So are you saying that the better the support the better the team?

Eh Hamilton, County, and Ayr.....

Falkirk have a huge support but have been outside top league in the main for years ...............

If and i state if, it because we had 4 points after 14 games, with 10 defeats

Since then its  P20 W 8  D 7 L 5 which is play off form  

No reason we cant defeat Raith, may well be very ugly which will suit them

1 minute ago, scottd said:

I get the sentiment Scott, but who wants to be like Clyde (nae hame) or Airdrie? They get hee haw crowds, and generate little interest. Relegation would have a profound effect on the type of club we are today. There would still be a club, but failure to bounce back in a season would see support, income and hope dwindle.

regards this Saturday even Ross has higlighted just how big a game this is for us. A draw will be no use as we will get nothing at Easter Road where Lennon will want to end the season on a high, and lay down a mark for next season. Any kind of win will do, we need to show the nous other teams display against us, and be clever with the Ref etc....

given that all the players will have the heebee-geebees, I would be surprised if both teams finish the game with eleven on the park..! We need men, battlers, thinkers and streetsmart on Saturday the stakes couldnt be higher.

LPM- What were you expecting a wee dead rubber................. the team has always be geared for games 34 and 35, we have just played 3 of top 4 away and got 4 points scoring 8 goals in process............... nothing has changed, bar Ayr drawing against a Ton team that are on holiday, and Sons beating a QOS side in mid table nothingness

We beat Raith we wont go down in 10th, that's the short of it......

Hibs players are playing for SPL contracts so don't think they will lie down to anyone

1 hour ago, scottd said:

Dunfermline, Morton and Partick all seemed to manage to survive it.  I just don't get this apocalyptic stuff.

Those clubs didn't have an academy set up or premier division facilities like ours. We probably will survive it with a bit of luck but in all likeliehood more like Morton with a lost generation of support. I don't accept that this is just a wee blip and everything will be rosy season after next. The division below us is dead men walking stuff.

1 minute ago, irvine_buddie said:

We really need Hibs to at least draw with Raith on Wednesday, if Raith win then we could win our last 2 and still end up 9th.

The only thing that matters, and the team can affect is beating Raith on Saturday. Fail to beat Raith and we will be relegated, or in the play offs in my opinion. It will be a straight choice between us and Ayr who gets which berth.

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

The only thing that matters, and the team can affect is beating Raith on Saturday. Fail to beat Raith and we will be relegated, or in the play offs in my opinion. It will be a straight choice between us and Ayr who gets which berth.

I disagree that the only thing that matters is our game on Saturday. As I said, Raith's result on Wednesday night has a direct effect on us so it does matter. I agree however that the only thing the team can affect is beating Raith on Saturday but that's 2 different things.

Edited by irvine_buddie

Just now, irvine_buddie said:

I disagree that the only thing that matters is our game on Saturday. As I said, Raith's result on Wednesday night has a direct effect on us so it does matter. I agree however that the only thing the team can affect is beating Raith on Saturday but that's 2 different things.

Splitting hairs, but who cares?

if Raith get a result on wednesday, and against us they are out of it. Likewise if Dumbarton get any result. Whatever any of these clubs do is irrelevant if we dont beat Raith, as imo we will get nothing at Easter Road.

question will be, what have Ayr got left in the locker? Can they do Hibs at home? Like us they have pulled a few rabbits out of the hat recently.

1 hour ago, scottd said:

Not really true in the case of Ayr and Airdrie. One look at the 2000 game at Somerset shows just how well supported Ayr were and that was at a point that season where they were playing only for pride. Airdrie were always a club we considered a bit of a rival as well. 

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Splitting hairs, but who cares?

if Raith get a result on wednesday, and against us they are out of it. Likewise if Dumbarton get any result. Whatever any of these clubs do is irrelevant if we dont beat Raith, as imo we will get nothing at Easter Road.

question will be, what have Ayr got left in the locker? Can they do Hibs at home? Like us they have pulled a few rabbits out of the hat recently.

I think its fairly unlikely we will avoid 9th if we only get 38 points (we're on 35 currently).  We are going to need 39 or more, as in we're going to need to beat Raith and get at least a point in Edinburgh.

I assume Raith will beat Ayr on the last day at home so that's them on 39 even if they lose to Hibs and us.  Dumbarton are on 38 already, so they just need 1 point from their last two games to get to 39.