St Mirren v Raith Rovers Championship 29/4/17

shull

Fantastic performance today. Best in years. Mallan's hit for the fourth and then that layoff just class. If we can keep this team together and stay in this division next season we could be at start of something really special 

1 hour ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Ayr can still mathematically stay up so hopefully they'll beat Raith next week.

If Ayr get the same result as we did today - they will be 9th. Don't see it - but I hope they do!

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

No chance!  Unless we get a result next week we are in the playoff.

Unfortunately agree. Ayr grabbing a point today would have been the best of all outcomes today as they would have been able to beat Raith and get the playoffs without being able to catch us. 

As other posters have said though, we can't moan about our lot - we just have to get on with it. We have done well at Easter Road before and there is always the chance that they will be in Party Mode.

However to contradict myself immediately - i am going to moan about bloomin' Dumbarton - who always seem to sneak something when it counts.

Drat and Double Drat.

Edited by southsidebud

Totally controlled that today though I was concerned mid-way through the first half that we were struggling to create anything. Then, out of nothing, M'voto has a hellish headed clearance which lets us in to score before a slice of luck with the deflected free-kick. Didn't really see what happened for the 3rd.... MacKenzie's header hit someone on the way into the net? The fourth was something else (did he actually side-foot it from that far out?!) and the fifth was a superbly worked goal.

Considering where we were it feels great to avoid automatic relegation but we're still 50/50 for the the play-offs I reckon. A really tough ask to get something at Easter Road and the bookies will have Raith to beat Ayr. As a worse case scenario though, this team of players having to dispatch two of  Alloa / Airdrie / Brechin / East Fife in home and away matches, I'd be feeling confident if it came to it. There's also a wee bit of me that wouldn't mind seeing this team play a few more games!

1 minute ago, Julian Banjos said:

Totally controlled that today though I was concerned mid-way through the first half that we were struggling to create anything. Then, out of nothing, M'voto has a hellish headed clearance which lets us in to score before a slice of luck with the deflected free-kick. Didn't really see what happened for the 3rd.... MacKenzie's header hit someone on the way into the net? The fourth was something else (did he actually side-foot it from that far out?!) and the fifth was a superbly worked goal.

Considering where we were it feels great to avoid automatic relegation but we're still 50/50 for the the play-offs I reckon. A really tough ask to get something at Easter Road and the bookies will have Raith to beat Ayr. As a worse case scenario though, this team of players having to dispatch two of  Alloa / Airdrie / Brechin / East Fife in home and away matches, I'd be feeling confident if it came to it. There's also a wee bit of me that wouldn't mind seeing this team play a few more games!

Exactly . It has been a while since we were seeing a St Mirren team play in such a convincing manner , week in week out and scoring for fun along the way. .

A quite truely breathtaking performance from everyone on and off the pitch. Mallan's goal was phenomenal. What a talent! We don't realise how lucky we are to have him, McGennis and Morgan. Outstanding talents.

We just blew them away after we scored the first goal and we could easily have won by 7/8. We just did not let up and kept going at them. Brilliant to part of what was a special collective effort.

We have a terrific blend of extremely talented young, hungry players and some streetwise older but not too old players who are playing some brilliant stuff.

Delighted to be guaranteed not to finish bottom.

I almost don't want this season to end. The last time I enjoyed going to football as much I do now was Hendries team in 1999/2000.

Well done Jack Ross and co you have turned the good ship St Mirren round and building something very special.

Heading to Easter Road next weekend for what should be a memorable day out. I think we will get the result we need but if we don't I have a lot of confidence in this team that they will get us through a play off.

I am absolutely loving attending games these days. Long may it continue.

Just home from game.

The wee man and I are (unfortunately) on long term hospital visiting duty just now and popped over the RAH afterward.

We walked back to Gilmour St via the back road and passed a few establishments which I guess cater for the Sevco refugees in Paisley as I got a few sullen grudging compliments of 'you're boys done well today' etc. as we walked past.

It was good fun to walk past the Bankhouse which was rocking however. My son wanted to go in. Nope I replied - not for another nine years - or seven if you can grow some decent stubble.

The game was MAGIC - and like another poster said above - a wee bit of me wouldn't mind another two home games this season.

On reflection though - lets just get a point at Easter Road and get ready for the promotion push next year.

Edited by southsidebud

46 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Just home from the match, had a fantastic day, team were superb, everyone did their bit but a special mention for Loy, ran his heart out today and we haven't been able to say that much since his arrival. Can't wait to see the goals again!!

Sorry mate, I'm going to take a bit of umbrage to that. Loy has absolutely worked his bollocks off for us since joining for my liking. He does some amount of dirty work in the wide areas and to be honest, I didn't think he was remarkable or out of the norm today, such is my satisfaction with how his work rate has been in the last 6 weeks. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Can only echo what's been said above. A privilege to be at the ground today to witness such a dominant and exciting performance by the Buddies. Just hope Jack can keep these lads together for another year.

Not worried if we do go into the playoffs. Confident we will beat any of the teams we have to play.

Finally, thanks to Julian for posting those interviews. Just put the final touch to what was a fantastic day. Yogi started off being guarded but couldn't help himself at the end and gave his players the pasting they deserved!

I see the BBC are reporting a non-Mallan hat trick by crediting No2 as an o.g. 

I am pretty sure the free kick was on target and as such a goal from a deflection will still be awarded to the attacking player. Or is that wrong?

Edited by southsidebud

4 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Fair enough you've probably seen much more of him than I've managed, I maybe saw him when he wasn't at his best but if he's been doing regularly what we saw today then it's all good.

Don't be daft with apologies. :) Loy has split a lot of fans to be fair. Some expect him to be a poacher given his time with Falkirk. Others expect him to be a nuisance. He's somewhere in between for me but I know for a fact I'd love both him and especially Cammy to be here next season. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Apart from a couple of flaps from O'Brien, we didn't have one failure in the team today.

Thought McGinn was imperious and Mallan had a stormer. His third goal was sublime. Magennis and Morgan were great too.

The defence barely put a foot wrong. Baird and McKenzie in particular, typified the professionalism and "never say die" attitude that Jack Ross has instilled into his superbly crafted squad.

Both Loy and Smith worked incredibly hard, and if they're out of contract and willing to come here, we should try our best to get them on board.

We're not safe yet, but hopefully next week we can do enough to avoid the play offs.

As others have mentioned, this is the most enjoyable, skillful football that I've witnessed since Hendrie's era.

An amusing aside are the plums who refuse to recognise that our resurgence is due to our manager.

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Exactly . It has been a while since we were seeing a St Mirren team play in such a convincing manner , week in week out and scoring for fun along the way. .

The league winning Hendrie season.

That was the last time we played with this level of swagger.

Remarkable performance today it ranks with the best Saints performances I have witnessed under, Fergie, Smith, Hendrie, McPherson and Lennon. I don't think I have ever seen a Saints team work so hard from the 1st to the 90th minute, any time a Raith player got the ball he was closed down and we won the ball back. Stephen Mallans 3rd goal was incredible and it was great to see Morgan getting on the scoresheet. Kyle Magennis was simply outstanding and the workrate of Smith and Loy upfront was fantastic and our captain led by example. In Jack we have something very special and I believe that we will get at least a point at Easter Road next week.....A very proud Buddie [emoji835]️[emoji836]️[emoji835]️[emoji836]️ COYS