General Election 8th June

faraway saint

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Can May do a speech without looking at a written version ? Robotic rhetoric. 

Could you?

You can't even post on a forum without spelling and grammar errors strewn everywhere.

You should be fairer with your criticisms of others IMO.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Could you?

You can't even post on a forum without spelling and grammar errors strewn everywhere.

If I'm talking to my team which I had to do for 45min every morning before we start work what I said was not written on paper. May seems to find it hard to be natural her campaign is full of robotic sound bites listen to her speak count how many times stronger is used , stable is used. This is someone being told what to say. As for me not coming up to your standard personally I don't give a f**k what you think or post of me given the utter nonsence you write regarding of food-banks .

Guest TPAFKATS

May has said today that action is needed in communities and online to make sure that bigotry and hatred do not turn to violence.
This is the same shite that she has pushed for the last 7 years when she has been Home Secretary and then PM.
Push for gov intrusion into everyone's Internet footprint, including messaging and continue to blame communities despite evidence that they do report suspected terrorists.

The wording of the bbc report on her also implies that bigotry and hatred are tolerable just as long as they don't escalate into violence.

Could you?

He's a cook on an oil platform, he doesn't have to. She, on the other hand...

And "robotic rhetoric" is a better sound bite than anything she (or her spin doctor) has come up with.

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

If I'm talking to my team which I had to do for 45min every morning before we start work what I said was not written on paper. May seems to find it hard to be natural her campaign is full of robotic sound bites listen to her speak count how many times stronger is used , stable is used. This is someone being told what to say. As for me not coming up to your standard personally I don't give a f**k what you think or post of me given the utter nonsence you write regarding of food-banks .

Oh calm down FFS. :lol:

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:

And "robotic rhetoric" is a better sound bite than anything she (or her spin doctor) has come up with.

I suppose it is if soundbites make your toes tingle.

I couldn't care less what a politician says. I am only interested in what they do.

It's substance over style for me.

I have never understood people applauding a politician as doing a "brilliant job" because they are good at clever witticisms.

I couldn't care less what a politician says. I am only interested in what they do.
I have never understood people applauding a politician as doing a "brilliant job" because they are good at clever witticisms.

They don't, I was highlighting that she keeps repeating soundbites, the same phrases over and over, and that "robotic rhetoric" was a great way to describe her delivery. I think I've demonstrated time and again that only substance matters to me.

4 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

May has said today that action is needed in communities and online to make sure that bigotry and hatred do not turn to violence.
This is the same shite that she has pushed for the last 7 years when she has been Home Secretary and then PM.
Push for gov intrusion into everyone's Internet footprint, including messaging and continue to blame communities despite evidence that they do report suspected terrorists.

The wording of the bbc report on her also implies that bigotry and hatred are tolerable just as long as they don't escalate into violence.

This says it all! Hypocrisy must be her middle name!

18838983_1852377695014169_6871946085359075301_n.png

6 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Heard her speech on the radio yesterday and when she said that I actually uttered profanities out loud.

Both her and Corbyn are trying to use these atrocities to push their own agendas.

Edited to say. My vote, as many know, will be for the SNP. But, for those Buds south of the border,.

It's hard not to come across as "using it" unless you don't mention it at all. Corbyn has actually said he wants the ballot box to condemn May. He has also been consistent in his condemnation BEFORE the tragedies.

Corbyn.png

Untitled.png

Edited by stlucifer

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You are absolutely right.

And what May has done is cut the living standards of millions, pay freezes, benefit cuts, austerity by the bucket load, while making our country unsafe and cosying up to one of the most backward, murderous regimes in the world, Saudia Arabia.

So yes, judge her on her actions (though the fact she has the presentation skills of a socially awkward scarecrow don't help).

Guest TPAFKATS

I think we have blurred the lines with regards to what is political campaign and political satire. Wee Ruthie Davidson introduced May at a 'rally' in a warehouse in Edinburgh this afternoon.
Leaving aside the wisdom of the campaign manager who thought it would be good to have May at a removal company 3 days before the election, Davidson was in angry barraboy mode and ranted that we should elect tory mps 'Make Britain Great Again'.
This comes a day after the woman who has spent the last 7 years as Home Secretary and PM decides that enough is enough with regards terrorism.
It's like an episode of The Thick Of It.

The Diane Abbot interview on sky last night was beyond cringeworthy.

A potential Home Secretary? I would certainly keep this lady away from being interviewed.

It really was hard to eclipse her previous interviews failings, but she managed it with a bit to spare.

Just now, whydowebother said:

The Diane Abbot interview on sky last night was beyond cringeworthy.

A potential Home Secretary? I would certainly keep this lady away from being interviewed.

It really was hard to eclipse her previous interviews failings, but she managed it with a bit to spare.

Mustabeen a tough call for Jeremy, keeping his ex sweet! :jerrry

Indeed.

She must be doing something behind the scenes to justify her role in the shadow cabinet.

More of a shadow puppet that someone forgot to attach the strings.

There are varying levels of incompetence in all walks of life, but as far as politics go, this lady is an elite.

Looking at the polling data from the BBC news website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39856354

General trend seems (?) to be Labour & JC catching up, probably not enough to win but hopefully enough to deny TM the landslide mandate she was looking for.

After their striking seat projection published last night, YouGov has a new poll this evening which has the narrowest gap between the main two parties so far during the campaign. It has the Conservatives on 42% and Labour on 39% - their highest rating in any poll since 2014.

It's not all good news for Labour though. Kantar Public also published a poll on Wednesday with a slightly increased Conservative lead compared to their previous poll. They now have the Conservatives on 43% and Labour on 33%.

Its not the only company which still shows a large gap. In fact, it's more than 10% according to ICM and ComRes.

The main reason for this disparity is the different ways that the pollsters estimate turnout.

Polling companies are sometimes accused of "herding" - manipulating their figures so they all say the same thing. Nobody could accuse them of that at this election. If anything, the differences have become more stark as we approach election day.

Not seen many Scottish polls but am hoping the Beeb are right in their analysis

There was also a rare Scottish poll published on Wednesday afternoon. The SNP, on 43%, maintained the commanding lead that they've had throughout the campaign and for a long time before that. More interesting was that Labour and the Conservatives were on level pegging at 25%. That's the first time this year that the Conservatives haven't been in a clear second place.

As with the other nations, though, it's hard to draw conclusions when there have been so few polls.

I accept that Tories would rather see anything other than another romp home for the SNP in Scotland but could any of the Labour or Lib-Dem supporters say whether they're happy with the hard "anti second referendum" line their parties have taken and spending 90% of their time & energy attacking the SNP and not the Tories in what is after all is a Westminster election.

Guest TPAFKATS

To be fair, he was probably struggling for candidates for his shadow cabinet given that most of the Parliamentary Labour Party gave him a vote of no confidence.

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I accept that Tories would rather see anything other than another romp home for the SNP in Scotland but could any of the Labour or Lib-Dem supporters say whether they're happy with the hard "anti second referendum" line their parties have taken and spending 90% of their time & energy attacking the SNP and not the Tories in what is after all is a Westminster election.

It strikes me that continually pointing out the one-trick-pony-ness of the snp ( Independence,  even at the expense of neglecting every other aspect of governing a society) would be the very obvious way of connecting with the majority of voters who are not interested in yet another indyref, surely?

The point in any election is to take votes from the other parties -but you know this. Why ask?  :unsure:

Edited by antrin

15 minutes ago, antrin said:

It strikes me that continually pointing out the one-trick-pony-ness of the snp ( Indepence,  even at the expense of neglecting every other aspect of governing a society) would be the very obvious way of connecting with the majority of voters who are not interested in yet another indyref, surely?

The point in any election is to take votes from the other parties -but you know this. Why ask?  :unsure:

Is that what we're calling the new currency??

28 minutes ago, antrin said:

It strikes me that continually pointing out the one-trick-pony-ness of the snp ( Indepence,  even at the expense of neglecting every other aspect of governing a society) would be the very obvious way of connecting with the majority of voters who are not interested in yet another indyref, surely?

I don't see the SNP neglecting the day-to-day business of governing Scotland that's just a vapid soundbite. The % of people wanting a referendum has been fairly volatile, I've seen polls where the majority has been for a second one (just after the Brexit vote) and I can't remember ever seeing those in favour being significantly below the 45% who voted YES in 2014 - it's nowhere near as clear cut as you're suggesting despite the loud (I'd say hysterical) protestations of Ruth Dugdale (sic).

28 minutes ago, antrin said:

Because north of the border the tactics of the Lib-Dems and Labour in particular don't seem to be about maximizing the votes for their parties and they seem happy to acquiesce in their supporters voting for what (if re-elected) will be the most right-wing government in Europe one that is certainly further from their economic and social beliefs than the SNP. But I'm sure you knew that! :unsure:

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS

There's many ways to debate your post, including pointing out the areas where Scotland performs better than rUK.
However, my point would be that snp have polled around 50% of the vote in recent elections. Instead of trying to get pro indy voters onside to vote for their party and it's policies (independence aside), it seems the unionist parties are happy to run campaigns focusing on snp bad and no indy ref which means they are simply taking votes from each other.

I have had literature through my door from the 4 Westminster parties. The SNP one is the only one to focus on a range of aims & policy. It also lists what my previous MP Mhairi Black has done in her two years as my MP.
I appreciate the other candidates don't have a track record to speak off, however all 3 of them focus the main point of their literature on opposing another independence referendum. The Lib Dems bizarrely then tell me that they want another vote on Brexit.

Other than that, the three of them are offering nothing to me despite apparently having separate Scottish manifestos.

BTW, if you want some light relief have a look at independent candidate Paul Mack
www.paul-mack.com
Paisley's answer to George Galloway (at least in his own head)