General Election 8th June

faraway saint

The SNPs vote as a share of the electorate in this election was 24%
The same as Thatcher won in Scotland in 1979 [emoji38]
The SNP are no more popular in Scotland than Thatcher! [emoji38]

ironically, as sinn fein wont take their seats, this puts the DUP in a very strong position
i wonder if sinn fein will change their tactics?

your crystal ball needs repairing! [emoji38]

of course, you were wrong! [emoji38]

[emoji38]

another whose prediction has been blown apart! [emoji38]

as usual, you were completely wrong [emoji38]

people were voting Tory in Scotland as a backlash against a second independence referendum
independence would have dwarfed brexit and tory austerity
you are right that May should resign
so should sturgeon

SNP share of the vote down to 37%
and this is with the backdrop of the prospect of a hard Brexit and a May led, right wing increased majority at westminster
contrary to what sturgeon is saying, the SNP have lost the election in Scotland big time
independence is dead

great night for Scotland!
calling for a second referendum has backfired badly on Sturgeon
angus robertson, alex salmond [emoji38]
at a UK level, the Tories losing their majority is another result!
its been a good night all round

#thichasfcuk

Indy ref put to bed, no bad thing. SNP still by far the biggest party in Scotland and an absolutely disastrous night for the Tories in general and May in particular. Brexit change of direction nigh on certain. All in not a bad night all round, way beyond anything I expected this time yesterday and hopefully a return to a concentration on governing by the SNP at Hollyrood.

Well, what a night that was.

SNP I see polled just around the 1m mark ( think they said just under ) whilst that looks a spectacular collapse, my opinion is that the previous election was out of the ordinary getting 56/59 so probably about right now.

Indyref2 ? There was grounds for it based on the whole of Scotland voting not to leave the EU however we can't just keep having referendums until they get the result they want - people voted to stay in UK , that should be honoured

Brexit - again no point politicians talking about another referendum as some did, people voted to leave, honour it

Last night was an odd election result & not entirely sure what the implications are as yet, but despite the huge character assassination assault on Corbyn, Labour polled well overall and 13.5m Tory votes to 12.8m Labour really was a surprise to me

Interesting few weeks ahead, anyone fancy another shot in October? :P

Forget indy ref. The UK is now in a disastrous state as the result of the stupidity of the Tory elite. Cameron should never have given in to the Brexit clique and called an EU referendum. May( a remainer) went for a hard Brexit and made a disastrous decision to hold a snap general election in the belief that she would gain an increased majority - this while the Brexit negotiation clock is running! Theresa May apparently wants to remain as PM. Given her record so far this would be a disaster. I can't see any other possible Tory PM in whom I would have any faith at all.

23 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Is that another fiver lost ?!?

You do realise you are paying for William Hills works night out ! :rolleyes:

I've jumped ship, Mr Bet365, stupid name, is now receiving my donations including €5 on Murray to win in 4 sets today. :rolleyes: Still, no lost as much as wee Nicky. :lol:

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Go and patronise someone else. I am not talking about f**king nurses or temps. I am talking about proper businesses.

Oh and I am not talking about composite companies either.

I would like to see how you intend to legally stop 3 or 4 friends starting up a company with 25% each personal shareholding, deciding to offer consultancy services as a single Limited Company entity. How the hell do you propose to stop that perfectly legitimate way of doing business?

You were talking about self-employed people moving to Ltd Companies you doughnut, go and read your own post. 

Just to help, here's what you posted........

"No it won't.

The self employed will simply start using Limited Companies and pay themselves from dividends.

When will you guys learn that you will not get anywhere trying to punish the most successful people in our country? :lol:

I almost feel embarassed for you that you don't have the faintest idea how the real world works."

Edited by WeeBud

3 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Due to EVEL, Scottish Tories and the DUP cant vote on English only matters, NHS being a massive one

Makes a workable majority almost impossible

It's a bad result for May and she should be resigning shortly.

The biggest losers are the SNP though.

-21!

Salmond and Robertson :lol:

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

It's a bad result for May and she should be resigning shortly.

The biggest losers are the SNP though.

-21!

Salmond and Robertson :lol:

It was a general election - no way were the biggest losers the SNP - deflection of Daily Mail proportions there.  The Tories had a revival (of sorts) in Scotland but Nationally it was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. You can't separate the Tory party in Scotland from the party in the rest of the UK it's one in the same.

One thing is for sure. 1st safe Tory bye election seat and Ruth will be resigining as an MSP - surely they have to reward her with a National "biggie" or do the Tories in England view her as the leader of a "branch" much like labour with kez ?

For the SNP to have 35 Westminster MP's is astonishing even allowing for their losses - a figure the Tories can only ever fantasize about. They were still comfortably the biggest party with more seats than the other 3 party's combined and they won the recent Council and Scottish elections even more comfortably. With inyref now off the agenda I can see no angle for Tory gains in Scotland - this is their peak for sure. But really celebrating a dozen or so seats - bit of a minter really !

My take on it is that a lot of the vote at the last GE was a protest vote against the "Big Two" and resulted in an SNP landslide, as with all protest votes people will largely re-align themselves with their traditional voting. Theresa May called an Election through ego and arrogance believing that she could get a larger majority than the current one due to having little competition and allowing her to ride roughshod through Brexit and anything else she pleased. She has taken the biggest shoeing possible and cost the Taxpayer millions through an unnecessary Election .............Strong and Stable, my arse!!

14 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

It was a general election - no way were the biggest losers the SNP - deflection of Daily Mail proportions there.  The Tories had a revival (of sorts) in Scotland but Nationally it was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. You can't separate the Tory party in Scotland from the party in the rest of the UK it's one in the same.

One thing is for sure. 1st safe Tory bye election seat and Ruth will be resigining as an MSP - surely they have to reward her with a National "biggie" or do the Tories in England view her as the leader of a "branch" much like labour with kez ?

For the SNP to have 35 Westminster MP's is astonishing even allowing for their losses - a figure the Tories can only ever fantasize about. They were still comfortably the biggest party with more seats than the other 3 party's combined and they won the recent Council and Scottish elections even more comfortably. With inyref now off the agenda I can see no angle for Tory gains in Scotland - this is their peak for sure. But really celebrating a dozen or so seats - bit of a minter really !

The SNP lost 21 seats.

The Tories lost 12.

The rest of the parties lost 2.

The SNP lost more seats than every other party in the UK combined. 

Ergo they are the biggest losers in this general election.

That's the facts, read em and weep! :lol:

Guest TPAFKATS

The 3 unionist parties ran on a unionist ticket. Tactical voting and pro responsible the vast majority if not all of the snp loses.
Labour vote share up in Scotland as some pro indy voters opted for Corbyn which us ironic given Slab have openly plotted against him.
Other Lib and slab votes went staunch same as cooncil election.

Former Renfrewshire cooncil leader Derek MacKay was in charge of the SNP campaign. I'm sure it's just coincidence...

20 minutes ago, TopCat said:

The SNP lost 21 seats.

The Tories lost 12.

The rest of the parties lost 2.

The SNP lost more seats than every other party in the UK combined. 

Ergo they are the biggest losers in this general election.

That's the facts, read em and weep! :lol:

The Tories lost a "majority" in the house while trying to increase that majority. SNP took a doing but the biggest doing was for The Tories, imagine going to the electorate and losing a majority when you didn't have to.........utter lunacy

21 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

The Tories lost a "majority" in the house while trying to increase that majority. SNP took a doing but the biggest doing was for The Tories, imagine going to the electorate and losing a majority when you didn't have to.........utter lunacy

But the SNP lost more seats than The Tories.  How is that a smaller doing? :lol:

It's a disastrous result for May and she should be resigning post haste.

As for Sturgeon she won't be resigning but surely she's got to get a leadership challenge from within the SNP.

Or are the SNP membership just going to accept that losing seats every single election is ok...?

Edited by TopCat

56 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Of course you can separate them.

Just as the SNP, in reality, are a one issue party, so the Scottish Tories have become.

The Tories in Scotland are now solely about anti-referendum. Many, if not the majority, of people voting for the Tories in Scotland were voting on this single issue.

Scotland voted strongly to Remain in the EU referendum.

Yet, despite this and despite the prospect of a hard Brexit Tory Gov in Westminster, along with more austerity, a number of terrible policies and a gang of loonies in charge... folk in Scotland still voted in large numbers for the Tories... basically down to the issue of no independence.

For many in Scotland, staying part of the UK is far more important than remaining in the EU and is far more important than worrying about who is in power at Westminster... even if its a right wing, hard Brexit bunch of crackpots in power.

38 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The 3 unionist parties ran on a unionist ticket. Tactical voting and pro responsible the vast majority if not all of the snp loses.

What a load of nonsense.

It was the LACK of tactical voting which has kept the SNP from losing far more seats than they did.

The lack of tactical voting saved Mhairi Black.

The SNP won 59% of the seats on the back of less than 37% share of the vote. The SNP won a much smaller share of the vote in Scotland than the Tories did in the UK.

The SNP vote as a share of the electorate was no better than Thatcher in Scotland in1979! :lol:

Edited by mcdowell76

5 minutes ago, TopCat said:

But the SNP lost more seats than The Tories.  How is that a smaller doing? :lol:

It's a disastrous result for May and she should be resigning post haste.

As for Sturgeon she won't be resigning but surely she's got to get a leadership challenge from within the SNP.

Or are the SNP membership just going to accept that losing seats every single election is ok...?

I would say "unnecessarily losing" governmental control is a lot worse in all honesty. I couldn't give a flying what the SNP do, that's down to them.