General Election 8th June

faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS
What a load of nonsense.
It was the LACK of tactical voting which has kept the SNP from losing far more seats than they did.
The lack of tactical voting saved Mhairi Black.
The SNP won 59% of the seats on the back of less than 37% share of the vote. The SNP won a much smaller share of the vote in Scotland than the Tories did in the UK.
The SNP vote as a share of the electorate was no better than Thatcher in Scotland in1979! [emoji38]

So why did the new mps thank voters for voting tactically in their acceptance speeches?

8 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Labour and LibDems both seem happy that tactical voting is costing the SNP seats even though the biggest winners appear to be the Tories. I wonder how they will feel if these Scottish Tory seats result in a win for the Tories.

Wothout those Scottish seats, the Tories could not have formed a government with anyone today.

Interesting. Maybe it will put an end to the army of arrogant Yessers and SNP supporters blaming the English for the Tories.

If I was Sturgeon, I would eiter resign or I would immediately announce the end of IndyRef2 until 2025 at least. She gambled, went too early and has seen the public reject her for it. Just like May.

Thee will quite possibly be another GE in the autumn and we now know the SNP dont have any safe seats left. If they ignore this rejection of IndyRef2 they could be wiped out just like Labour. They MUST learn this lesson now IMO. On the positive side they lose

As for online meltdowns

Edited by oaksoft

The press can spin it all they like, but I know many Independence supporters who saw the polls and thought, wrongly in my opinion, that they would vote for Corbyn. But Labours support is still only 3% up from 2015. Frankly the rise in Scots Tory support absolutely baffles me.

6 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

The press can spin it all they like, but I know many Independence supporters who saw the polls and thought, wrongly in my opinion, that they would vote for Corbyn. But Labours support is still only 3% up from 2015. Frankly the rise in Scots Tory support absolutely baffles me.

Why is it baffling? A lot of folk were scunnered hearing about Indy2 so soon after the divisive Indy1, with Brexit, terrorism, the economy, the NHS and other issues being of more importance to many voters. Ruth Davidson positioned the Tories as the party to vote for if you were sick of hearing about independence.

11 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

I do get that but this is a vile Tory government in London and yet the only part of the U.K. Where their vote goes up is Scotland!

Yes, and it went up because Sturgeon and the SNP were shoving Indy2 down our throats. Just as Teresa May fcuked up with her snap election decision, the SNP have fcuked up by not letting things cool a bit after losing Indy1 - a debate that started off engaging much of the population, and ended up being bitter and devisive.

I clearly understand that the SNPs reason for being is primarily Scottish independence, but they acted like spoiled children who hadn't gotten their own way and just wouldn't stop scweaming and scweaming about it.

Incidentally, I voted SNP yesterday. I voted SNP because I regard our SNP candidate as being a decent sort and far from being a complete knobcheese. I also voted 'yes' in Indy 1, but incessant talk of Indy2 pissed me off.

Edit: No shit, Sherlock....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-40216748

Edited by pozbaird

42 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Of course you can separate them.

Just as the SNP, in reality, are a one issue party, so the Scottish Tories have become.

The Tories in Scotland are now solely about anti-referendum. Many, if not the majority, of people voting for the Tories in Scotland were voting on this single issue.

Scotland voted strongly to Remain in the EU referendum.

Yet, despite this and despite the prospect of a hard Brexit Tory Gov in Westminster, along with more austerity, a number of terrible policies and a gang of loonies in charge... folk in Scotland still voted in large numbers for the Tories... basically down to the issue of no independence.

For many in Scotland, staying part of the UK is far more important than remaining in the EU and is far more important than worrying about who is in power at Westminster... even if its a right wing, hard Brexit bunch of crackpots in power.

So do you think if Sturgeon makes an official announcement that Independence is off the agenda and starts to get her party governing accordingly, there will be a surge back to the SNP at the next election ?

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

The SNP lost 21 seats.

The Tories lost 12.

The rest of the parties lost 2.

The SNP lost more seats than every other party in the UK combined. 

Ergo they are the biggest losers in this general election.

That's the facts, read em and weep! :lol:

Only a Tory can manipulate spin to make a POINTLESS point

Here are some FACTS

Ok- England has 54 million people, Scotland has 10% of that

May was 21 points ahead in the Polls and then somehow LOST a majority- quite an achievement

Even on the day of the Election they were predicting a 100 seat Majority- ENDED UP HUNG PARLIAMENT

SNP- Won more seats than Tories Lab and Lib put together with 60% of the seats ON OFFER, so how can having 22% of the seats being a victory?

Facts tells us in England, Wales and Scotland the Tories either lost ground or Lost      

So if we play Morton and they score more goals than us say 3-1 , you don't rejoice the fact you have scored one

Or maybe that's exactly what Tories do...... that's how pathetic they are, that they use tactical and racial  and bigoted tactics, that still only got them 13 poxy wee seats, in rural areas bar East Ren ( who change their minds every 2 years)

At least you have to pay for your own care and its not my problem

Cmon the Tories hmmmmmmmmm bombed!!! Shame the UK didn't listen

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

So do you think if Sturgeon makes an official announcement that Independence is off the agenda and starts to get her party governing accordingly, there will be a surge back to the SNP at the next election ?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but just posting my view. My view is that yes, if the SNP zip it at this juncture, and get on with doing their job in Holyrood, they might not see a 'surge' at the next election, but by goodness, they will at least arrest a slide that saw them lose 21 MPs.

If the Tories and their Irish sidekicks fcuk up Brexit and government in general, the SNP could be well placed to become stronger again - if they don't make everything Indy2, Indy2, Indy2... and if we don't win that, then we'll have Indy3, Indy3, Indy3...

31 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Why is it baffling? A lot of folk were scunnered hearing about Indy2 so soon after the divisive Indy1, with Brexit, terrorism, the economy, the NHS and other issues being of more importance to many voters. Ruth Davidson positioned the Tories as the party to vote for if you were sick of hearing about independence.

That , would certainly seem the case . Sturgeon totally miscalled it pushing for Indy Referendum 2 and it has came back to bite her on the arse . She is quick to mention May's problems but wee Nicky really needs to get her own house in order as a priority because in this whole episode she has misjudged her ain folk . .

I see this as if the SNP were playing the Tories at football in the last GE and won 10- 0.  Played again yesterday, and the SNP won 4-0 which tells me the Tories played better than the last time and the SNP played worst, but still won easy :rolleyes:  Oh and May scored an own goal :lol:

Guest TPAFKATS
I know this wasn't directed at me, but just posting my view. My view is that yes, if the SNP zip it at this juncture, and get on with doing their job in Holyrood, they might not see a 'surge' at the next election, but by goodness, they will at least arrest a slide that saw them lose 21 MPs.
If the Tories and their Irish sidekicks fcuk up Brexit and government in general, the SNP could be well placed to become stronger again - if they don't make everything Indy2, Indy2, Indy2... and if we don't win that, then we'll have Indy3, Indy3, Indy3...

The only people I heard constantly drumming away about Indy2 during the election campaign were ruth, kez and wullie.

7 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The only people I heard constantly drumming away about Indy2 during the election campaign were ruth, kez and wullie.

Aye, and that was because - too late - the SNP realised they should have buttoned it earlier and not pissed people off...

....just as poz pointed out a few posts above.

Of course, the other parties exploited that error...

3 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

In other words, what you are saying is that the SNP were keeping quiet about a referendum that they called for?

I wonder why... :lol:

The facts are that if the SNP hadn't called for second referendum then they wouldn't have lost all the seats that they did. If they hadn't called for a second referendum then the Tories wouldn't be able to form a government with DUP help.

The SNP have lost almost twice the seats that the Tories did in the UK. The SNP share of the vote is down to less than 37% whilst the UK Tory share of the vote actually went up.

Sturgeon's decision to call for a second referendum has been an unmitigated disaster for the SNP. If this had been a Holyrood election then she would have had to resign.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

So why did the new mps thank voters for voting tactically in their acceptance speeches?

^^^^ deary me, TPAFKATS thinks that the SNP should have won 95% of the seats on the back of less than 37% share of the vote. :blink:

If voters had truly been voting tactically then the SNP would be left with 2 or 3 seats this morning.

:1eye

Edited by mcdowell76

14 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I wasn't talking about the duration of the snap campaign. I'm talking generally. Since Brexit especially. Two big votes - Indy1 and Brexit. The SNP treated the fact Scotland voted against leaving the EU as a signal to give it big licks about the need for Indy2. Seemingly forgetting Indy1 was rejected, thereby keeping Scotland part of the UK and tied to whatever the UK Brexit result threw up. 

I understand the loss of 21 SNP MPs weakening the chances of Indy2 even happening, much less being won, must be hard for many avid SNP and/or independence supporters to stomach, but stomach it they must. I don't expect them to shut the fcuk up about it though. As I say, scweam and scweam and keep scweaming.

33 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Here are some FACTS

May was 21 points ahead in the Polls and then somehow LOST a majority- quite an achievement

Even on the day of the Election they were predicting a 100 seat Majority- ENDED UP HUNG PARLIAMENT

SNP- Won more seats than Tories Lab and Lib put together with 60% of the seats ON OFFER, so how can having 22% of the seats being a victory?

Facts tells us in England, Wales and Scotland the Tories either lost ground or Lost      

So if we play Morton and they score more goals than us say 3-1 , you don't rejoice the fact you have scored one

Or maybe that's exactly what Tories do...... that's how pathetic they are, that they use tactical and racial  and bigoted tactics, that still only got them 13 poxy wee seats, in rural areas bar East Ren ( who change their minds every 2 years)

Its not really about the Tories though.

The overriding issue is independence. Most people weren't voting Tory in Scotland because of any other policy other than being anti-independence. Those voters couldn't care less how the Tories have done at a UK level. Their overriding concern is to stop independence.

Its similar to UKIP (albeit, in terms of objectives, the SNP are the Scottish equivalent of UKIP). The UKIP vote at the last general election was a protest vote based on a single issue. They didn't really care about any other policies. Similar to Tory voters in Scotland.

The SNP won less than 37% of the vote. They have fcuked up big time.

55 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Here are some FACTS

So hold on, whats spin about saying the SNP lost more seats than The Tories?  That's simple numbers.  21 is a bigger number than 12.

Seething deluded nat klaxon :lol:

One thing this election does do is kill indyref2 for the foreseeable.

Which is bad news in my opinion.  A second indy ref would have lead to an even bigger win for the no side than we got in 2014.

Cos Scotland loves this union  More votes for the Unionist parties than the independence parties yesterday, glorious :)

Guest TPAFKATS
^^^^ deary me, TPAFKATS thinks that the SNP should have won 95% of the seats on the back of less than 37% share of the vote. :blink:
If voters had truly been voting tactically then the SNP would be left with 2 or 3 seats this morning.
:1eye

Of course I didn't say that and I also gave other reasons that I thought were relevant but don't let any of that worry you.

Guest TPAFKATS
In other words, what you are saying is that the SNP were keeping quiet about a referendum that they called for?
I wonder why... [emoji38]
The facts are that if the SNP hadn't called for second referendum then they wouldn't have lost all the seats that they did. If they hadn't called for a second referendum then the Tories wouldn't be able to form a government with DUP help.
The SNP have lost almost twice the seats that the Tories did in the UK. The SNP share of the vote is down to less than 37% whilst the UK Tory share of the vote actually went up.
Sturgeon's decision to call for a second referendum has been an unmitigated disaster for the SNP. If this had been a Holyrood election then she would have had to resign.

So you are saying the current hung parliament and homophobic sectarian bigots keeping may in power is all the snp fault.
Aye ok - no wonder they quote you with that hashtag.

Guest TPAFKATS
I wasn't talking about the duration of the snap campaign. I'm talking generally. Since Brexit especially. Two big votes - Indy1 and Brexit. The SNP treated the fact Scotland voted against leaving the EU as a signal to give it big licks about the need for Indy2. Seemingly forgetting Indy1 was rejected, thereby keeping Scotland part of the UK and tied to whatever the UK Brexit result threw up. 
I understand the loss of 21 SNP MPs weakening the chances of Indy2 even happening, much less being won, must be hard for many avid SNP and/or independence supporters to stomach, but stomach it they must. I don't expect them to shut the fcuk up about it though. As I say, scweam and scweam and keep scweaming.

The scweaming appears to be the voices in your head today.

11 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Its not really about the Tories though.

The overriding issue is independence. Most people weren't voting Tory in Scotland because of any other policy other than being anti-independence. Those voters couldn't care less how the Tories have done at a UK level. Their overriding concern is to stop independence.

Its similar to UKIP (albeit, in terms of objectives, the SNP are the Scottish equivalent of UKIP). The UKIP vote at the last general election was a protest vote based on a single issue. They didn't really care about any other policies. Similar to Tory voters in Scotland.

The SNP won less than 37% of the vote. They have fcuked up big time.

Hilarious Post!!!:lol:

You mean the GE that the Tory Govt called was not about the Tories- ha ha

And SNP- UKIP ............  similarity- Sure like Hitler and Gandi were both men.....

I think right now if you were in your precious party headquarters you May not find the terms the SNPs fcuked it up

Carry on being deluded and enjoy the DUPs they are certainly a perfect fit