General Election 8th June

faraway saint

After a wee bit of reflection and watching the lunchtime news it seems clear to me that May's reason for calling the election is to bolster her hard-Brexit stance at Westminster. My own feeling is that the English Conservatives are looking to mop up the UKIP vote in England and will attempt to square the circle with Scotland afterwards. My own feeling is that the English Conservatives will by a substantial majority South of the border and take the same sorta view that Farage took the morning after the first IndyRef that we should toe the line or leave. I see a second Indy Ref as inevitable now and don't see the Unionist parties being able to put up the same united front they did in 2014.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

After a wee bit of reflection and watching the lunchtime news it seems clear to me that May reason for calling the election is to bolster her hard-Brexit stance at Westminster. My own feeling is that the English Conservatives are looking to mop up the UKIP and will attempt to square the circle with Scotland afterwards, My own feeling is that the English Conservatives will by a substantial majority South of the border and take the same sorta view that Farage took the morning after the first IndyRef that we should toe the line or leave. I don't see the Unionist parties being able to put up the same united front they did in 2014.

Yep that is my take as well.

She cannot lose.

It will almost certainly see the end of UKIP with most votes going Tory and it will wipe out Labour because Cprbyn is not PM material.

I reckon they will also take seats in Scotland.

The alternative is that she continues to see Tory Rebels cause havoc with her small majority for the forseeable future. This election will end that too.

It also strengthens her hand in the EU debate.

And we are looking at a minimum of another 5 years of Tory rule.

Labour are many years away from being electable.

When Brown deposed Blair, it was a downward spiral for the party as far back as then.

Milliband was never PM material & Corbyn is no different.Labour if they want to be electable again, need to go back to the drawing board.

The Tories will rule for some years to come & there will be a huge landslide victory in June for them.

Independence is inevitable because for a lot of Independence supporters they couldn't care less the state of the country is in, as long as Scotland is independent.

The only way to get rid of the under performing joke of an SNP government in Scotland might be to be independent and get shot of them that way.

7 minutes ago, El Gingero said:

Independence is inevitable because for a lot of Independence supporters they couldn't care less the state of the country is in, as long as Scotland is independent.

I'd disagree, the reason I want an independent Scotland is because I feel the country will never be successful while we are an offshoot of England, more specifically LondonLand.

25 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'd disagree, the reason I want an independent Scotland is because I feel the country will never be successful while we are an offshoot of England, more specifically LondonLand.

Successful?

Aren't we already successful?

How successful could we be on our own and how would this happen?

31 minutes ago, El Gingero said:

The only way to get rid of the under performing joke of an SNP government in Scotland might be to be independent and get shot of them that way.

First time I've posted in one of these mad politics threads. Been having a think about this today and its coming down to ticking off who I absolutely won't vote for, then seeing who's left. 

Tories - will hoover up anyone who is pro-brexit, pro-union and many of those who see Corbyn as a pure joke, really strong position. They're an absolute cancer for the poor, but they don't pretend otherwise so got to give them that. However, what they're doing to disabled people is absolutely unforgiveable. No chance.

Labour - don't seem to have an actual stance on anything, they've really messed up in Scotland so can't vote for them either. They abstained from voting against austerity, but still claim to be against it. Corbyn seems awright as a guy, but has no control over his party. Where's Andy Burnham now? Always liked that guy, did some fine work on Hillsborough. Probably wouldn't vote for them as it stands.

Lib dems - actually in a decent position to hoover up some English votes, but they broke that pledge on student fees. Canny vote for a party that I don't trust to keep their word. Wish there was a decent liberal option. 

UKIP - their agenda is now pointless as a concept. Lost some of their main voices. All but finished, would never vote for them anyway, horrible party.

SNP - reckon they were quite happy sitting with their huge majority of Scottish MP's, blaming the Tories for everything bad that happens. In reality, are they doing that well with the tools available? Need a wake up call, not untouchable

Greens - maybe. Bit of a wasted vote, will vote for them if I can't see any alternative. Sometimes agree with Patrick Harvie, do believe that renewable energy is the way to go. Got all the natural resources in Scotland, need to use them as best we can without f**king up our planet

We've never had it so good folks! The foodbanks are great aren't they? We have dismantling of the NHS to look forward to as well - but most of us are alright today, aren't we?

I think we all love having nuclear weapons in our country, and the money we spend on them is far better spent there than helping those in need.

We could tax big businesses more, but why do that when we can squeeze every last penny out of the disabled, the elderly and the infirm, while making those on lower earnings forego a few more of life's little luxuries?

Yeah, the country is in good shape for most. f**k those who are struggling, hopefully they'll die and we won't have to worry about them any longer.

This is our caring society today. Bravo.

Edited by Soctty

2 minutes ago, Doakes said:

First time I've posted in one of these mad politics threads. Been having a think about this today and its coming down to ticking off who I absolutely won't vote for, then seeing who's left. 

Tories - will hoover up anyone who is pro-brexit, pro-union and many of those who see Corbyn as a pure joke, really strong position. They're an absolute cancer for the poor, but they don't pretend otherwise so got to give them that. However, what they're doing to disabled people is absolutely unforgiveable. No chance.

Labour - don't seem to have an actual stance on anything, they've really messed up in Scotland so can't vote for them either. They abstained from voting against austerity, but still claim to be against it. Corbyn seems awright as a guy, but has no control over his party. Where's Andy Burnham now? Always liked that guy, did some fine work on Hillsborough. Probably wouldn't vote for them as it stands.

Lib dems - actually in a decent position to hoover up some English votes, but they broke that pledge on student fees. Canny vote for a party that I don't trust to keep their word. Wish there was a decent liberal option. 

UKIP - their agenda is now pointless as a concept. Lost some of their main voices. All but finished, would never vote for them anyway, horrible party.

SNP - reckon they were quite happy sitting with their huge majority of Scottish MP's, blaming the Tories for everything bad that happens. In reality, are they doing that well with the tools available? Need a wake up call, not untouchable

Greens - maybe. Bit of a wasted vote, will vote for them if I can't see any alternative. Sometimes agree with Patrick Harvie, do believe that renewable energy is the way to go. Got all the natural resources in Scotland, need to use them as best we can without f**king up our planet

Doakes I agree with all your above logic and I think " None of the above" should be an option....

However my friend, if every person who had thought about voting Green instead of saying its a wasted vote, they would be our 3rd party....

The state the planet is in we need some dramatic change and I am not just talking about Cappielow 

4 minutes ago, Doakes said:

A fair summary. I'm scunnered with the lot of them. I will vote, and will vote using the method I've employed since I needed the services of my MP to sort out an issue I had with Renfrewshire Council and Scotrail... I vote for the individual standing in my area who doesn't appear to be a complete walloper. The colour of their rosette no longer concerns me. Whoever isn't a total knobcheese will get my vote.

29 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Successful?

Aren't we already successful?

How successful could we be on our own and how would this happen?

Successful - not IMO.

Look at the population of the 4 countries that make up the UK - England makes up 83.9% of the population of the UK, my view (which I think is broad Nationalist view) is that it's no longer a union of equals and that Scotland's need would be better suited by being independent.

United Kingdom  63,181,775  
England            53,012,456 ( 83.9%)

Scotland   5,295,000 (8.4%)

Wales   3,063,456 (4.8%)

Northern Ireland   1,810,863 (2.9%)

I'm not claiming the process will be problem free but having lived & worked in England my experience was that that the further south you go the less empathy they have for Scotland and Scots. In Surrey (Redhill) & to a lesser extent in Newmarket they were pretty much of the opinion that if it wasn't for oil we could fuck off. People in Newcastle were less hostile and strangely enough :huh: many of them half accepted my argument that they would do better as the South of an independent Scotland than being the northernmost part of England.

My belief (although I don't claim this is the fishul party line) is that after gaining independence we should seek to re-establish the border at Hadrian's Wall. Why not - it came as a surprise to just about every English person I met that it's different from the current border! :red

Edited by Bud the Baker

Other consideration here is not the fact of Brexit but the fact that the EU is itself under threat. France on two fronts talking up leaving, and if that happens then everything changes and EU will just become what it was meant to be, a single market....

I cant stand what the Tories stand for, they have no morals, and whether its an Eton git or a vicars daughter, they clearly do treat the above 83.9% with distain....

So as we will soon have a total Tory mandate to cut and burn whatever they like, as long as its not the Superrich, we might as well prepare for some real austerity ...

What deplores me is what our kids/grandkids will inherit, there is no thought here for our future, our kids or our planet.....

We have the Middle East and Asia totally at it, we have no defence in our waters, we are totally exposed and with tossers like Johnston representing us the future is very bleak......

Faraway can u check the odds on the Liberals / Labour to win and Leicester to wins CL as a double?

The result of the election is without doubt. In England, it will be pretty much wall-to-wall Tory blue. In Scotland, it will be pretty much wall-to-wall SNP yellow.... however, my gut tells me Sturgeon and the SNP are hacking off a percentage of those who voted 'yes' the last time, who want the SNP to crack on with governing the country, and to shut the fcuk up about independence at this juncture. This juncture being uncertainty over Brexit, over what that cnut Trump might do, and where the EU as an entity is heading. 

The only really interesting thing will be to see if the SNP pissing-off 'casual' pro-independence voters during Indy1 translates into the SNP losing votes to the other parties up here.

Either way, in my area, if the Tories put up Timothy Piggot-Chinless - who needs Sat Nav to find out where Cumbernauld is, then they can fcuk off. If the SNP put up Mhari Black's 15 year old wee sister who runs around shouting for Indy2, 3, and 4 (until they fcuking win one), then they can fcuk off. If Labour put up a beer-bellied, red-nosed alcoholic with Arthur Scargill hair, then they can fcuk off. If the Lib Dems put up an ex-vicar who wants to suck Teresa May's boaby (she surely has one), then they can fcuk off. If the Greens put up a vegetarian weirdo like Drew, then they can fcuk off.

Going to be a tough fight for my vote. I want them all to basically just fcuk off.

Help me out folks it's all very confusing but my understanding is

SNP said Scotland being independent in a British Isles that was part of Europe seemed like a good idea. Most of Scotland however said no and that seemed to be that but it wasn’t.

Everyone continued to moan about the silly trade rules Europe imposed and blamed immigration and free movement for all Britain’s Problems.

The moans were so loud we got Brexit.

Because most of Scotland wanted to be part of Europe Wee Nicky Sturgeon then announces she has a mandate for independence which Scotland had already rejected.

Everyone one then complains they didn’t mind Europe dictating how bent our bananas should be and they wanted back into the single market. Suddenly the immigrants who had been portrayed as wandering across our unprotected borders, stealing our Jobs and claiming our benefits were no longer a problem.

The Lib Dems start sabotaging Brexit using their unelected majority in the house of Lords demanding rights for immigrants from the EU whilst ignoring the plight of Ex-pats in the EU.

Teresa May said she would get out of the Silly Trade deals and sort out the immigrants that the majority had complained about

The SNP and Labour claimed they would vote down any agreed Brexit Deal. The liberal Democrats who had next to no MP’s threatened to mobilise all their unelected Lords to help them.

Wee Nicky accuses Teresa of not being elected.

Teresa says Feck You. Bring it on.

Is that a fair representation of the situation so far?

:withstupid

Power to the people

Edited by East Lothian Saint
democratic change

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The result of the election is without doubt. In England, it will be pretty much wall-to-wall Tory blue. In Scotland, it will be pretty much wall-to-wall SNP yellow.... however, my gut tells me Sturgeon and the SNP are hacking off a percentage of those who voted 'yes' the last time, who want the SNP to crack on with governing the country, and to shut the fcuk up about independence at this juncture. This juncture being uncertainty over Brexit, over what that cnut Trump might do, and where the EU as an entity is heading. 

The only really interesting thing will be to see if the SNP pissing-off 'casual' pro-independence voters during Indy1 translates into the SNP losing votes to the other parties up here.

Either way, in my area, if the Tories put up Timothy Piggot-Chinless - who needs Sat Nav to find out where Cumbernauld is, then they can fcuk off. If the SNP put up Mhari Black's 15 year old wee sister who runs around shouting for Indy2, 3, and 4 (until they fcuking win one), then they can fcuk off. If Labour put up a beer-bellied, red-nosed alcoholic with Arthur Scargill hair, then they can fcuk off. If the Lib Dems put up an ex-vicar who wants to suck Teresa May's boaby (she surely has one), then they can fcuk off. If the Greens put up a vegetarian weirdo like Drew, then they can fcuk off.

Going to be a tough fight for my vote. I want them all to basically just fcuk off.

Mate after the above rant I am voting for you....

2 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Help me out folks it's all very confusing but my understanding is

SNP said Scotland being independent in a British Isles that was part of Europe seemed like a good idea. Most of Scotland however said no and that was seemed to be that but it wasn’t.

Everyone continued to moan about the silly trade rules Europe imposed and blamed immigration and free movement for all Britain’s Problems.

The moans were so loud we got Brexit.

Because most of Scotland wanted to be part of Europe Wee Nicky Sturgeon then announces she has a mandate for independence which Scotland had already rejected.

Everyone one then complains they didn’t mind Europe dictating how bent our bananas should be and they wanted back into the single market. Suddenly the immigrants who had been portrayed as wandering across our unprotected borders, stealing our Jobs and claiming our benefits were no longer a problem.

The Lib Dems start sabotaging Brexit using their unelected majority in the house of Lords demanding rights for immigrants from the EU whilst ignoring the plight of Ex-pats in the EU.

Teresa May said she would get out of the Silly Trade deals and sort out the immigrants that the majority had complained about

The SNP and Labour claimed they would vote down any agreed Brexit Deal. The liberal Democrats who had next to no MP’s threatened to mobilise all their unelected Lords to help them.

Wee Nicky accuses Teresa of not being elected.

Teresa says Feck You. Bring it on.

Is that a fair representation of the situation so far?

:withstupid

Power to the people

Aye pretty much-

U did however miss out- that Labour who under Corbyn, who very few Lab MPs back, but lots of party members do, also are the reason we had Brexit as the vast majority of key Labour areas sided with UKIP, and that London who we ridicule in Scotland actually backed Scotlands stance....... In fact 3 times as many Londoners voted to stay in the EU than Scots

I can see Richard Curtis and Ben Elton already planning Blackadder 5 on this