Hibernian v St Mirren Championship 6/5/17

shull

ONLY WAY IS UP

Stephen McGinn says St Mirren are finally showing they are good enough to WIN the Championship

The Buddies have not yet guaranteed their safety in the division but the skipper reckons they are now proving they can win it next year

By Roger Hannah
30th April 2017, 10:30 pm

ST MIRREN are not yet guaranteed their place in next season’s Championship.

But skipper Stephen McGinn reckons they’re finally showing the form which proves they can WIN it.

Stephen McGinn reckons St Mirren are showing they can win Championship next season
News Group Newspapers Ltd
Stephen McGinn reckons St Mirren are showing they can win Championship next season

Buddies need just a point at the Hibs title party on Saturday to complete the great escape.

The 5-0 demolition of Raith was their seventh league win since McGinn returned to the club in January.

And the midfielder insists they’re brimming with confidence for the trip to Easter Road — and the challenge of succeeding Hibs as title winners.

He said: “When we’re at it like that, we are a match for any team in this league.

“With the series of results we’ve had and the run we’ve been on, there is no reason why we can’t go to Easter Road and win.

“When Hibs came here, it was a must-win for us and we were really good on the night. They’ll know what to expect from us again.

“There are not many teams in the country we’d think we couldn’t have a go at. That’s the way we feel.

nintchdbpict000320312372-e1493489575488.

Five star show

St Mirren 5 Raith 0 - Mallan fires Saints on brink of great escape - then pleaded to be given hat-trick

“I didn’t think it would be 5-0 on Saturday but I knew we had that kind of performance in us. I loved it.

“If we are to have a shot at winning the league next year, we’re going to have to put in performances like that in must-win games.”

Jack Ross gambled in January by bringing back McGinn and sparking a mass overhaul of the playing squad.

It’s paid huge dividends with Saints now certain not to finish bottom of the pile.

And McGinn, who faces brother John in Leith on Saturday, says they are sure they’ll also dodge the relegation play-off place.

He added: “When I first came in, we were so far cut adrift that the only aim was the play-offs.

“The club probably hit rock bottom before Christmas.

“I think you can see with the reaction round the place that it’s well and truly on its way back.

“Even in games we’ve lost recently, the players from the other team have passed comment on how good a team we are.

“The pace we play at makes it hard for teams to stay with us.

“This wasn’t any different from the way we’ve played recently, The only difference was the scoreline.

“It’s so enjoyable to be around the place. Every game has been must-win.

“We always knew it would be tough going to Hibs on the last day of the season and that’s what made it so important to win against Raith.

“This was a real pressure game.

“If we hadn’t won, it would have more or less put Raith safe and meant we had to go to Easter Road and win.

Stevie Mallan celebrates with team-mates after scoring against Raith Rovers
News Group Newspapers Ltd
Stevie Mallan celebrates with team-mates after scoring against Raith Rovers

“We want to finish it on Saturday. We don’t want to go into the play-offs.

“We would fancy ourselves in the play-offs with the way we’re playing but it’s a bit of a lottery.

“We want to take care of business next week and make sure we’re not in them.

“We are a good enough team to go there and do it for ourselves.”

Stevie Mallan was the Buddies’ hero with a hat-trick, including a swerving 35-yard screamer into the top corner.

Gary Mackenzie claimed the third goal with a header from Mallan’s corner — albeit it was deflected over the line.

Flying winger Lewis Morgan wrapped up the biggest-ever win at the Paisley 2021 Stadium near the end.

And McGinn, 28, says he’s thrilled to be playing alongside young talents like Mallan, Morgan and Kyle Magennis.

He said: “It’s probably one of the best midfields I’ve ever played in, in terms of the energy they’ve got and the way they move the ball.

“It’s really exciting, easily the most exciting midfield I’ve ever played in.

“We can knock it about and get at teams. It makes it easy for me — all I have to do is talk to them and get them in line.

“If we keep the majority of the players, we’re a really good team.

“Fans aren’t daft. They go every week, see how good we are and see how good we can be.

“Kyle is only 18 and has been played in ten or 15 must-win games since January. That’ll be great for his career.

“Fans will tell you that’s how they want to see the game played — attack every time you get the ball. It’s so enjoyable.”

34 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Another good piece from the players . In the top pic with McGinn on the ball , you can see Skacel in the background . Skacel was anonymous in that game , how times have changed for us. .

To be fair to Skacel, he's 38 in July. Don't think we'll see any more of him after this summer.

15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah and they posted this online sometime between 1 & 2 a bit too late for today seeing as ticket office closes at 2 every day.

Phoned the reception and surprise, surprise they don't have the tickets to sell when ticket office is closed.

The ticket office opening hours are one of the things would like the club to sort out asap.

So went down today to get my bus ticket for Saturday sat in car for 30 minutes then queued for another 20 minutes got to front of queue and sorry ticket office isn't selling bus tickets reception is.

You couldn't make it up.

Oh well on to Saturday.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

So went down today to get my bus ticket for Saturday sat in car for 30 minutes then queued for another 20 minutes got to front of queue and sorry ticket office isn't selling bus tickets reception is.

You couldn't make it up.

Oh well on to Saturday.

The news update on the club website still says they are being sold at the ticket office.

2 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

Anyone know where's best to park near easter road and best for getting a quick getaway rather than being stuck in traffic afterwards? 

Park near PGS, train to Glasgow, train to Waverly, then walk down.

^_^

3 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

Anyone know where's best to park near easter road and best for getting a quick getaway rather than being stuck in traffic afterwards? 

If you can't be arsed with the intricacies of driving/parking in the Easter Road area, Park and Ride on the tram is also an option.Think it's £1.60 each way, which may or may not be cost effective depending on party size. Certainly takes the hassle out of it. Tram goes to York Place, which is a kick on the hole from Leith Walk.

Not really a quick getaway but you avoid traffic a wee bit in peirshall square east or west but it is a wee bit away from the ground and you can avoid driving threw the city

Will probably be catching the 12.15pm bus from Buchanan Street Bus Station to the Edinburgh Bus Station.

Buses every 15 minutes.

1 hour 19 minutes journey.

Edinburgh bus station to Easter Road is 1.1 miles.

Coming back every 15 minutes until 8.30pm then every 30 minutes until last bus at 11.59pm.

The buses in the evening take about 1 hour 10 minutes.

£11.60p adult open return.

An Apex Adult return is £7.60p  Buy 2 days in advance and you have to book your bus times.

£7.50 child open return.

An Apex Child is £5.50p. Buy 2 days in advance and you have to book your bus times.

http://www.citylink.co.uk/index.php

Over 60s FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

This one is almost like a home game for me. Normally end up in Middleton's on Easter Road for a couple of pints before the game. It's a Hib's pub on Easter Road with reasonably priced beers and close to the away end but it will no doubt be mobbed this saturday. What watering holes will thirsty Saints fans be frequenting?

Edited by East Lothian Saint
?

11 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Omni centre and cask and barrel before the game , Conan Doyle , cafe royal and Guildford arms after the game

Cask and Barrel looks like not a bad Shout. Not one I'd normally pass on my way to ER. Meeting a Band of Buds at Waverley around midday.Cafe Royal and Guildford Normally first port of call. Hostelries closer to the ground will no doubt be busy. Should be a great day out. Wallet usually takes a hammering at Hibs games even though my travelling expenses are considerably less. Can't think why.

COYS

3-0 Mallan, Mckenzie, Stelios. O'Brian Saves a penalty.  Ayr win 6-0, Dumbarton Lose and Shull gets a hire to the game. I get bragging rights over ma Hibbie neighbours. Perfect day out (Skip Shull's hire if I'm asking too much)

20 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Get HIbs TV, settle down with a few beers and relax...................:P

I had a look yesterday, unless I'm missing something it only seems to be audio during the game and highlights after?

St. Mirren radio are covering it though.