Glasgow Airport - New Pick Up and Drop Off Charges

shull

1 hour ago, FS said:

Edinburgh has to do it because it's basically charging airlines next to feck all to win the business.

I'm well aware of that , my point is that Glasgow , with the increased income , should now be starting to do the same.

12 hours ago, billyg said:

I'm well aware of that , my point is that Glasgow , with the increased income , should now be starting to do the same.

Edinburgh has the greater number of passenger by almost 3 million , since it gets 3.69 million a year as staying visitors every year . Glasgow will have more commercial travellers I suspect . .

Just realised that Abbotsinch was 50 last year. .:P

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

HolidayExtrascom-Billy-Connolly-Airport-

Glaswegians call for Glasgow Airport to be renamed in Billy Connolly's honour

The Big Yin has been named as the celebrity that most residents would pick to raise the profile of Glasgow International Airport.

Why the hell did Glaswegians even get asked ?  Its no even their Airport ! 

Guest TPAFKATS
Edinburgh has the greater number of passenger by almost 3 million , since it gets 3.69 million a year as staying visitors every year . Glasgow will have more commercial travellers I suspect . .

Just realised that Abbotsinch was 50 last year. .[emoji14]

Not sure how they work out what a staying passenger is?

Guest TPAFKATS
Don't know Bud' but Edinburgh is now a city full of holiday flats. .

Aye, mostly air bnb
Doesn't necessarily mean folk fly into use them tho. I'm sure a lot of folk using Gerry Rafferty airport also 'stay'.

Edinburgh used to be the second busiest airport in Scotland behind Glasgow, until they cut a deal with Ryanair and opened up several low cost routes that helped to 'pack them in'. Later on, after being sold by BAA to GIP ( the company that also bought Gatwick) they brokered an exclusivity deal with Easyjet, that saw 'rival' airport, "Glasgow" limited to just four Easyjet routes. That and an aggressive 'loss leader' campaign on landing fees and airport charges, by Edinburgh CEO Gordon Dewar (ex Glasgow) has seen Edinburgh stride ahead in the bums on seats campaign. To the extent that Edinburgh which has always been a much smaller facility than Glasgow is now bursting at the seams, especially during peak times of the day when they have increased airport charges to deter business, although so far this has only affected Loganair who cannot now afford to use Edinburgh at morning peak times. I believe Glasgow's current works are part of the attempt to counteract Edinburgh's expansion and that something big may be landing soon. Far away will no doubt be along soon to cast aspersions upon my knowledge of and connections to the local aviation sector, but I am as ever ready and waiting to flick a viccie and defend myself with a custard pie... ;-)

8 hours ago, FS said:

Edinburgh used to be the second busiest airport in Scotland behind Glasgow, until they cut a deal with Ryanair and opened up several low cost routes that helped to 'pack them in'. Later on, after being sold by BAA to GIP ( the company that also bought Gatwick) they brokered an exclusivity deal with Easyjet, that saw 'rival' airport, "Glasgow" limited to just four Easyjet routes. That and an aggressive 'loss leader' campaign on landing fees and airport charges, by Edinburgh CEO Gordon Dewar (ex Glasgow) has seen Edinburgh stride ahead in the bums on seats campaign. To the extent that Edinburgh which has always been a much smaller facility than Glasgow is now bursting at the seams, especially during peak times of the day when they have increased airport charges to deter business, although so far this has only affected Loganair who cannot now afford to use Edinburgh at morning peak times. I believe Glasgow's current works are part of the attempt to counteract Edinburgh's expansion and that something big may be landing soon. Far away will no doubt be along soon to cast aspersions upon my knowledge of and connections to the local aviation sector, but I am as ever ready and waiting to flick a viccie and defend myself with a custard pie... ;-)

:wub:

Makes you wonder the sense in having such a battle between two big airports about fifty miles apart. Should have nuked parts of Lanarkshire in the 1970s (the bits where people paint kerbs and lamposts green / white / yellow or red / white / blue... and built one big super-dooper Scottish airport. Just think of the benefits to Scottish society. 

20 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Makes you wonder the sense in having such a battle between two big airports about fifty miles apart. Should have nuked parts of Lanarkshire in the 1970s (the bits where people paint kerbs and lamposts green / white / yellow or red / white / blue... and built one big super-dooper Scottish airport. Just think of the benefits to Scottish society. 

Think there was some talk of a site near Larbert or Skinflats back in the 70's but it was deemed to be too fog prone.

Guest TPAFKATS
Think there was some talk of a site near Larbert or Skinflats back in the 70's but it was deemed to be too fog prone.

Aye, a fog free airport would be a definite success..

23 hours ago, pozbaird said:

f**k that!

I've got an international airport a short taxi jaunt away from my house.

Although the jaunt will now be £2 dearer.