Sporting integrity my arse

A manager can put out whichever team he likes - why should he base his team selection on what other teams want? He wouldn't put out a team he didn't think was capable of winning the game. If you get to the point where you need other teams to do you favours, you're already in big trouble.

As it was, we would still have had our survival in our own hands, even if Raith had beaten Hibs last night. Now we can do it without the need for playoffs if we win our last two.

Those accusing anyone of 'whining' - would be interesting to see their reaction had Raith won. My own position on this is consistent - managers have the right to do as they see fit in their own team selections. I accept that. I also happen to believe that a club, any club, who publicly give an entire first team the 'week off', when they still have three games to play that are all intrinsically vital to fair play and the integrity of the league, have gone about things in a disrespectful manner. Lennon has went down the ten changes route against Raith. They won. If he now sticks with last night's starting line-up against both Ayr and St Mirren - then that goes a long way to having a level playing field in which Hibs have played a big part in finally deciding the fate of rival clubs. If he now brings back the likes of McGinn, Cummings, Gray, McGregor & Co, then he's going farther than merely 'freshening things up' or giving some fringe players a shot - he's taking the piss.

Edited by pozbaird

17 hours ago, Kendo said:

Count me as a living in hope person. They were playing Hibs second string and lost 3-2. 

Imagine the meltdown on here if we had done that.

I'm with you. We should beat them comfortably at home. The one thing that may affect that is pressure, but I think we're strong enough to cope with that, with a big support behind us.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Those accusing anyone of 'whining' - would be interesting to see their reaction had Raith won. My own position on this is consistent - managers have the right to do as they see fit in their own team selections. I accept that. I also happen to believe that a club, any club, who publicly give an entire first team the 'week off', when they still have three games to play that are all intrisically vital to fair play and the integrity of the league, have gone about things in a disrespectful manner. Lennon has went down the ten changes route against Raith. They won. If he now sticks with last night's starting line-up against both Ayr and St Mirren - then that goes a long way to having a level playing field in which Hibs have played a big part in finally deciding the fate of rival clubs. If he now brings back the likes of McGinn, Cummings, Gray, McGregor & Co, then he's going farther than merely 'freshening things up' or giving some fringe players a shot - he's taking the piss.

Could have been the meltdown of all meltdowns...............and that was just Drew. :lol:

Say Chelsea secure the title and are due to play the likes of Swansea or Middlesborough in a vital game for the EPL as a league. Imagine Antonio Conte holding a press conference where he announces he's giving Diego Costa, Hazard, David Luiz, Gary Cahill and six others the week off. I simply don't think it's a classy way to go about your business. I guess folk will either agree or disagree on that, fair enough.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Could have been the meltdown of all meltdowns...............and that was just Drew. :lol:

Drew was last spotted in TK Maxx - stocking up on cheap new underpants to get through Saturday's Raith game....

I know, cos' I was behind him buying some too.

1 minute ago, Yflab said:

The rules in England were changed a few years ago to let managers field anyone from their squad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14166038

And quite right to.....................

After all these are squad players and managers if they can have every right to play them, 11 changes if they desire

We have made 9 changes since window- Thank Feck.................. 

18 minutes ago, Yflab said:

The rules in England were changed a few years ago to let managers field anyone from their squad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14166038

... and there's clearly stated rules in the SPFL website to say clubs must field their strongest team in all league and cup matches.. so, football and rules!? What to make of those?

Bottom line, I have an opinion on it, I respect the opposite view. I just cannot imagine the likes of Antonio Conte coming on TV to announce he's giving his entire (almost) first team four days off and they will be back on Thursday - when he knows they play a relegation threatened team on the Wednesday. I'm happy to agree to disagree with anyone on how Neil Lennon does things as opposed to how others might.

Edited by pozbaird

29 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Say Chelsea secure the title and are due to play the likes of Swansea or Middlesborough in a vital game for the EPL as a league. Imagine Antonio Conte holding a press conference where he announces he's giving Diego Costa, Hazard, David Luiz, Gary Cahill and six others the week off. I simply don't think it's a classy way to go about your business. I guess folk will either agree or disagree on that, fair enough.

I remember when Rafa was in charge at Liverpool he rested a load of players against Fulham. Neil Warnock was Sheffield Utd boss at the time, and Liverpool had a Champions League Final against Milan coming up. Fulham beat their understrength team and Warnock's Blades went down, on goal difference behind Reading and a point behind Fulham...

That gave me a chuckle, but even if it wasn't Warnock, a team has every right to play whichever team they please up to a point. That Liverpool starting 11 had Reina, Hyypia, Alonso, Sissoko,Pennant, Fowler and Bellamy.

Colin Wanker was not amused...

Edited by Soctty

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I remember when Rafa was in charge at Liverpool he rested a load of players against Fulham. Neil Warnock was Sheffield Utd boss at the time, and Liverpool had a Champions League Final against Milan coming up. Fulham beat their understrength team and Warnock's Blades went down, on goal difference behind Reading and a point behind Fulham...

That gave me a chuckle, but even if it wasn't Warnock, a team has every right to play whichever team they please up to a point. That Liverpool starting 11 had Reina, Hyypia, Alonso, Sissoko,Pennant, Fowler and Bellamy.

Colin Wanker was not amused...

Maybe my judgement is clouded by the fact I think Neil Lennon is a prick. :P

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I'm definitely not in favour of a nanny state league dictating what players a football club can and can't play.  Where does that end?

Probably just better letting the managers pick whatever team he sees fit.

What if Morton were involved in a final weekend game that could see St Mirren relegated, and, having already secured a playoff spot, Jim Duffy gave ten first teamers the week off and played kids with himself and Andy Ritchie as a front two?

There are more What ifs on this site this week than the Sun Horoscope page..........................

Raith Lost, to a last minute gut  wrenching goal and they are down in the dumps, we play the first 20 as we did against Ayr game over......

Jack Ross is the manager that influences our points, and I am convinced any decent manager with no pressure wants to see what he has got in a competitive situation...

Ayr and Sons both have drawn recently at Easer Road against their so called first team.....

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

What if Morton were involved in a final weekend game that could see St Mirren relegated, and, having already secured a playoff spot, Jim Duffy gave ten first teamers the week off and played kids with himself and Andy Ritchie as a front two?

Well they aren't registered players so that couldn't happen.

Each club should name a first team squad of 25 at the start of the season and should be free to play any combination of players in that squad that they like.

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well they aren't registered players so that couldn't happen.

Each club should name a first team squad of 25 at the start of the season and should be free to play any combination of players in that squad that they like.

Jim Duffy and Andy Ritchie couldn't start up front for Morton? Nah... really?

6 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

If Falkirk secure 2nd on Saturday which seems likely, you will find them most probably resting a whole load of 1st team players v Dumbarton final game with the play-offs in mind.

If Falkirk are going to secure 2nd place on Saturday they will need Dumbarton to take something at Tannadice.

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Those accusing anyone of 'whining' - would be interesting to see their reaction had Raith won. My own position on this is consistent - managers have the right to do as they see fit in their own team selections. I accept that. I also happen to believe that a club, any club, who publicly give an entire first team the 'week off', when they still have three games to play that are all intrinsically vital to fair play and the integrity of the league, have gone about things in a disrespectful manner. Lennon has went down the ten changes route against Raith. They won. If he now sticks with last night's starting line-up against both Ayr and St Mirren - then that goes a long way to having a level playing field in which Hibs have played a big part in finally deciding the fate of rival clubs. If he now brings back the likes of McGinn, Cummings, Gray, McGregor & Co, then he's going farther than merely 'freshening things up' or giving some fringe players a shot - he's taking the piss.

I would have had exactly the same view.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I would have had exactly the same view.

I have the same view too. Even with Hibs delivering a result that pleases me, while fielding their reserves, I don't think it's right for a football manager to give almost an entire first XI time off and play an important league game with fringe players.