That Goal!

I appreciate the mentions of Carey v Hearts, and also think Dargo v Hearts and a Higdon screamer from 40 yards (v Accies?) is worth a mention.

To be honest, though, having witnessed them all, most were a wee bit speculative. Mallan had his shot totally nailed. It wasn't a hit and hope. The technique was breathtaking.

Two things I loved about that goal today. The way you just knew it was going in the minute it left his boot and the sheer feckin arrogance of it. That was a goal scored by a team with a swagger and an exceptionally talented midfielder. Absolutely brilliant.

I had no idea how to celebrate that goal today... I was between we've scored and just taking in the beauty of the strike.

The Raith players littering the ground, O'Brien celebrating and the realisation it had dipped in, made it even sweeter.

10 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

I had no idea how to celebrate that goal today... I was between we've scored and just taking in the beauty of the strike.

The Raith players littering the ground, O'Brien celebrating and the realisation it had dipped in, made it even sweeter.

Just look upon it as a "cathartic" moment! :lol:

he`s came in for a fair amount of flak from some earlier in the season, maybe because he has immense talent but doesn`t always produce. Games like yesterday though should be a reminder to appreciate that talent whilst it`s there, it wont last forever. He will have well deserved his move when it comes, and for those there yesterday he left us with a lifetime memory of one of the best goals [if not THE best] we've ever scored at home ....................even better than wee billy davies strike at castle greyskull.

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

Two things I loved about that goal today. The way you just knew it was going in the minute it left his boot and the sheer feckin arrogance of it. That was a goal scored by a team with a swagger and an exceptionally talented midfielder. Absolutely brilliant.

That's the thing that I love most about it, I didn't think it was going in! From my PoV on the halfway line it looked like it was sailing well over at pace by the time it was parallel to the big JD sign. 

For a ball at that pace to drop so much with so little distance to travel is absolutely phenomenal. The fact he went mental himself shows he knows just how good it was. 

I can't remember the last time I didn't immediately celebrate a St Mirren goal... I couldn't because I was in total awe and my first reaction, like many around me was to just stand there with my hand over my mouth and shaking my head in disbelief. It was that good. 

I sincerely hope Stevie is one of those players who Jack Ross mentioned last week that want to stay here as they see what's building. If that's not the case, so be it but whatever Barnsley were offering in January, we should be looking for treble at a minimum. In fact, I'd even keep him next season and run the risk of a development fee at the end of his contract like John McGinn. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Really pleased for Stevie. I thought he was getting unfairly singled out in our horrendous first half of the season. Even when he was struggling badly and the entire team we were playing terrible, his effort was always there and he would never hide like some of Rae's charlatans. He's had a lot of responsibility placed on his shoulders for such a young player, but McGinn and Jack have definitely supported him and let him flourish.

His goal yesterday was absolutely amazing (on a par with Carey's and just behind his Dundee goal IMO), as was his contribution to the game as a whole. Like Carey's goal, it took me a moment to register what had just happened.

Would love him to sign a contract extension and stay for a promotion push next season, but performances like that don't go unnoticed and he'll only get better. What a performance and what a goal. Let's hope his hat trick against Hibs next week is even better. Wee Stevie Mallan is a class act.

Hard to say anything that hasn't been said already on this thread. Incredible goal. Couple of one-twos, then the hit - looping, serving, then inexplicably dipping at the last minute. A goal that I'll never forget from one of the best players I've seen play for us, who just gets better and better.

I've said it before, but if we haven't offered him a bumper new contract then it's utter negligence. I'd have no hard feelings if he has a deal lined up to go south, and he would go with the best of wishes from all Saints fans but the club must make the effort and show the ambition to try to keep him.

A class act who can go all the way to the top.

This goal replace the goal he scored against Dundee U as my choice of goal of the season. That must have added £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££  to his value. How lucky for us his move in January fell through :)

19 minutes ago, Buffs said:

Haven't seen it yet. Can't wait for the highlights being available.

I'm anticipating a quality hard on like everyone else who has seen this goal. emoji4.png

Best to watch it soon. Wait any longer and the legend will be he hit it from near the halfway line, faster than a bullet train, and in the stands, Archie MacPherson crooned 'Ooohhh that's a honey of a goal!' while Santaponsa Saint belted down the gangway in front of the TV cameras... bring on the dancing girls!

Anyone who hasn't watched the online footage of old-school 4-1 at Arabs and 6-2 v Hearts... I'm not mad. No, really. :P

Edited by pozbaird

Having been watching football for 50+yrs my initial reaction at the time watching in line from the main stand from where young stevie hit that shot was one of WOW :shockaroony the best strike I have ever seen at a any live game never mind new ST Mirren park,  a goal fitting for a World Cup if ever there was, thoughts of Holland 74` 78` immediately sprung to mind :notworthy stunning