Players loaned back

2 hours ago, renfrew said:

Say the guy that expect a bonus (tip) for doing his job emoji595.png

I have never once expected a Tip in my many years of driving a Private Hire Cab. 

Fare or discounted fare only. 

11 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Even better is the fact, IF JR proves to be the next generation Fergie, we have a board unlikely to kybosh his ambitions.

Here's hoping JR doesn't pump any of the BOD's Wifes/Partners (allegedly)

If we don't get them back on loan, it's simple.We don't NEED to sell, unless silly money is offered (and by that I mean 7 figures).  Sell the idea of a medal and convince the said players that with longer Contracts they'll be queuing up to sign them next year when we win the League, giving the Club, Players and their Agents a nicer bundle.

C'mon guys!  You know it makes sense :thumbs2

23 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Would be fine with a lot of that money going on bonus. I still think financially we'll be in a very positive position next year and would be happy with the bonuses being replicate with an 'achieve promotion' bonus. As said above McLean and McGinn likely to move on as well will be more funds and higher and anticipated crowds.

As for the players being loaned back, it's difficult to know at this stage but I think the only potential would be if Magennis went and he's still got 2 years to run anyway. Can't wait to secure Championship status and see what contract talks are opened up. I think the priority is tying Irvine, McKenzie Eck down and seeing about realism in Smith, Loy coming back. O'Brien I would sign but we also need to bring in an experienced goalkeeper to challenge him. Stelios I believe has a year option which will be triggered if we stay up.

All of the below based upon remaining in Championship next season:

Irvine has a one year extension triggered.

Mackenzie i would hope doesn't have a similar outcome to Keith Watson. He has shown great qualities and imo is the best centre half along with Harry Davis we have had in many of year. I spoke to him on Saturday and he is happy at the club. Fingers crossed hes offered an extension.

Eckerseley i would imagine wouldn't be too difficult to deal with on similar terms.

Smith for me has been one of the best loan signings we have made in the last few years impact wise. He has added a different dimension up top and is versatile. Would hope that his wages and ambitions to play at a higher level would affect him signing for us. I however think we would be favourites to sign him if he chooses to remain at this level.

Loy got off to a slow start, though has showed his worth and would really like to hold on to him. Unless he is released by Dundee and his wages drop (imagine they would be outwith our highest earners) he may be tough to get back.

O'Brien is still very young. He has shown some signs of brilliance and in other occasions maybe shipped a few goals to lightly, though this is common in goalkeepers. He wants to stay and i would have him back. A good pre-season under his belt.

Stelios I am sure would be more than happy to stay and as you mentioned, the club have the 1 year option.

Fjelde hasn't had many opportunities and he can't complain really with the form of the starting 11. I would imagine he will move on to get some first team football elsewhere, unless he has showed enough and he is willing to stay to fight for a place. I personally haven't seen enough of him to judge.

At the end of the day the model the club is built on after we moved from Love Street is to nurture and develop our own players and then sell them on.

The work that David Longwell did and the investment the old board put into Ralston has now started to bear fruit.

McGinn, McLean and McAllister have already gone and whilst there was much derision at the time on the fees we got for all three, they all have sell on clauses which will hopefully help us to realise a more reasonable value for them if/when they move on to their next club. There's no doubt in my mind that all three of those WILL go on to attract seven figure fees in future.

Whilst we want to see these young players stay for as long as possible it's also important not to stand in their way. Mallan has a year to go and deserves a big move. He's not on big money at Saints and if rumours are to be believed the offer on table from Barnsley in January would have seen him earn 5x his salary right from the word go.

Footballers are humans the same as the rest of us and this is their career. You can't blame anyone for wanting to get on and better themselves like that, particularly when their career will be over in their mid 30s and where they are potentially only ever one bad tackle away from being out of the game for good.

If we can get a decent transfer fee for him then he should go with our best wishes.

Magennis and Morgan are slightly different as they have longer to go on their contracts but again if a big club came in for them then we have to be realistic.

On the loan back thing, it's not always as easy as it sounds. Saints tried very hard to get Derby to agree a loan back on Kyle but they weren't having any of it. They have made a decent investment in the boy and want to continue to develop him themselves, playing the Derby way and integrating with his new team-mates.

1 hour ago, div said:

At the end of the day the model the club is built on after we moved from Love Street is to nurture and develop our own players and then sell them on.

The work that David Longwell did and the investment the old board put into Ralston has now started to bear fruit.

McGinn, McLean and McAllister have already gone and whilst there was much derision at the time on the fees we got for all three, they all have sell on clauses which will hopefully help us to realise a more reasonable value for them if/when they move on to their next club. There's no doubt in my mind that all three of those WILL go on to attract seven figure fees in future.

Whilst we want to see these young players stay for as long as possible it's also important not to stand in their way. Mallan has a year to go and deserves a big move. He's not on big money at Saints and if rumours are to be believed the offer on table from Barnsley in January would have seen him earn 5x his salary right from the word go.

Footballers are humans the same as the rest of us and this is their career. You can't blame anyone for wanting to get on and better themselves like that, particularly when their career will be over in their mid 30s and where they are potentially only ever one bad tackle away from being out of the game for good.

If we can get a decent transfer fee for him then he should go with our best wishes.

Magennis and Morgan are slightly different as they have longer to go on their contracts but again if a big club came in for them then we have to be realistic.

On the loan back thing, it's not always as easy as it sounds. Saints tried very hard to get Derby to agree a loan back on Kyle but they weren't having any of it. They have made a decent investment in the boy and want to continue to develop him themselves, playing the Derby way and integrating with his new team-mates.

We don't need to sell, so we should only sell at our valuation or more.  Do you agree Div?  What is your valuation of Stevie Mallan?  Mine is 7 figures.

We don't need to sell, so we should only sell at our valuation or more.  Do you agree Div?  What is your valuation of Stevie Mallan?  Mine is 7 figures.

Dam tooting we should be looking for A 7 figure sum. If that mob at I***x want £500k for a 15 year old then we should defo be getting double that for Mallan. Will we? I doubt it as this is Scotland and we always sell cheap.

No chance McGinn will leave. His situation is the same as Thommo's was, he's here because he wants to be here.

MacKenzie has an injury issue that has plagued his whole career, this will potentially put off any suitors.

Well we don't NEED to sell but if we don't persuade him to sign a new deal, then he can walk away for a development fee next summer and we are right back in the same situation as John McGinn.

As for the fee it all depends on who comes in for him. Ideal situation is a few English clubs start fighting it out for him. If he went to the Championship or EPL then I don't see any reason why we couldn't command a record club fee.

9 minutes ago, div said:

No chance McGinn will leave. His situation is the same as Thommo's was, he's here because he wants to be here.

MacKenzie has an injury issue that has plagued his whole career, this will potentially put off any suitors.

If a premier league club come calling they would be crazy to turn it down. I could see a Ross County or St Johnstone coming back again to plunder our ranks. Admittedly McKenzie has had his injury problems, but having got a seson under his belt, and going into the post/preseason recovery period fit he may well tempt someone with his performances and goals.

McGinn will be on several clubs radar, there arent many quality midfielders like him around.

McGinn will be on several clubs radar, there arent many quality midfielders like him around.

He is the team Captain.
Adored by the fans.
POTY for many.
Respected by the players.
Trusted by the manager.
Playing some sublime football.
Enjoying his football.

You cannot put a price on all that.

As long as we are in the Championship next season I am confident Stephen will relish the challenge of leading us back to the SPL.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

If a premier league club come calling they would be crazy to turn it down. I could see a Ross County or St Johnstone coming back again to plunder our ranks. Admittedly McKenzie has had his injury problems, but having got a seson under his belt, and going into the post/preseason recovery period fit he may well tempt someone with his performances and goals.

McGinn is under contract until next summer as far as I'm aware, so unless teams want to pay for him, they can keep him on their radar and not much else...

If someone taps him up with much better wages as we know from experience his agent will if the player wants get him the move. As soon as a player says they want to go these days thats really it. Hopefully that doesnt happen, but his performances will have alerted a few, and there arent too many like him playing for a club and at a level where a half decent offer would clinch it.

everyone has a price, and McGinn still has a good few years in him to take advantage of better wages he could command. Like i said though hopefully not, it will be difficult enough to replace the likes of Mallan, Morgan and possibly Magennis if the offers come in as expected, without losing one or more of the experienced players who have shone this season.

if he fancies it might be lucky with Davis as his injury will reduce his options, dont know if his relationship with the parent club has improved?

12 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

If someone taps him up with much better wages as we know from experience his agent will if the player wants get him the move. As soon as a player says they want to go these days thats really it. Hopefully that doesnt happen, but his performances will have alerted a few, and there arent too many like him playing for a club and at a level where a half decent offer would clinch it.

everyone has a price, and McGinn still has a good few years in him to take advantage of better wages he could command. Like i said though hopefully not, it will be difficult enough to replace the likes of Mallan, Morgan and possibly Magennis if the offers come in as expected, without losing one or more of the experienced players who have shone this season.

if he fancies it might be lucky with Davis as his injury will reduce his options, dont know if his relationship with the parent club has improved?

Think McGinn had already said that money wouldn't be a issue with him staying here. Davis is out of contact and I doubt he would move his family up here for the kind of wages we would pay. Would love to be wrong mind you.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, Dave The Buddie said:

I honestly only see Mallan and Morgan go this summer and they deserve it.

It's a little early I feel for Magennis. Magennis could do with at least two more season with us before making a move. I always say get 100 games playing regularly then move.

Even though we couldn't knock back the money from Derby I hope young McAllister was not ill advised taking his move too soon. I hope I am wrong but I can see young McAllister rot away in the Derby development squad then get loaned out to a League 2 side down south some point next season they drift around the lower league down south then 3 years later coming back up the road looking to rebuild his career.

McGinn & McLean did it the right way

Well the difference between McLean, McGinn and McAllister was that neither of the former two had a bid accepted from another club during their time here.  Had they done they would have likely been off.  Indeed in summer 2014 McLean was hawking himself around down south for a good while for compensation, no one was interested and he ended up coming back to us on the condition that we let him go if anyone paid the equivalent of the compensation.  Aberdeen did and he was off.

There's also plenty of examples of Scottish players going down south young and then breaking through in time.  Ryan Fraser at Bournemouth being one recent example, Aberdeen fans were giving him pelters for going down south 'too young' in 2013.  Fast forward 4 years and he's starting regularly in the EPL.

I'm of the view that any promising youngster in Scotland should get themselves down south as soon as possible.  Hanging around in Scotland ain't going to do them any good.  If any one of Magennis, Morgan and Mallan went down there this summer I certainly wouldn't hold it against them.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

McGinn had a fairly uninspiring loan spell with Dundee in the top flight a couple of years ago, and he wasn't getting a game for Wycombe earlier this season.  He's in his late 20's.  The chance of any club paying any fee for him is slim to none.  Although he will certainly be off if we get relegated.