If we were to get a 7 figure sum of money from selling players

What do you think the club should do with it ? As we run with a break even every year should we change that and throw money at players who are here today and gone tomorrow ? Personally I would like to see any extra large sum of money be invested into buying property to rent out. A flat worth around 125K gets about 8K a year in rent so 8 flats would be worth around 64K a year before tax and cost. By doing that the club still have the asset as well as bringing in new income every month. I think the Fakes went down this route years ago when they moved ground and it was a success for them.

2 minutes ago, renfrew said:

What do you think the club should do with it ? As we run with a break even every year should we change that and throw money at players who are here today and gone tomorrow ? Personally I would like to see any extra large sum of money be invested into buying property to rent out. A flat worth around 125K gets about 8K a year in rent so 8 flats would be worth around 64K a year before tax and cost. By doing that the club still have the asset as well as bringing in new income every month. I think the Fakes went down this route years ago when they moved ground and it was a success for them.

Buy to let causes massive social problems with an entire generation of young people locked out of home ownwership and forced into renting thus causing artificial shortages of housing in both sectors leading to huge price bubbles so I would not like to see the club involved in such an unethical business practice.

I would like the club to build up a rainy day fund with that money.

Perhaps we can use it to get ticket prices for all under 18s to as close to zero as possible.

This would be an investment in our future fan base.

Edited by oaksoft

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I would like the club to build up a rainy day fund with that money.

Perhaps we can use it to get ticket prices for all under 18s to as close to zero as possible.

This would be an investment in our future fan base.

Would a 16 or 17 year old paying nothing suddenly pay £20 plus when he turn 18 ?  As for your answer to buying to let, I think the huge price bubbles is more a London problem rather than this area. The block of flats where I lived was new 12 years ago, but prices are only around 10% more now. I do agree with the rainy day fund but would want a good return from any extra cash.

40 minutes ago, renfrew said:

A rather big IF

Better chance of winning the lottery.

Don't want to see one player sold. If our club genuinely want back into the top league we need to hold onto most of our current squad with a few players added. Jack Ross has got something special in this squad to dismantle it would simply be nuts and show we don't have ambition. We have to build on what we have. 

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Don't want to see one player sold. If our club genuinely want back into the top league we need to hold onto most of our current squad with a few players added. Jack Ross has got something special in this squad to dismantle it would simply be nuts and show we don't have ambition. We have to build on what we have. 

Nice sentiment, but it isn't going to happen. McGinn to Hibs, McLean to Aberdeen and Mallan to ???

Today's Sun back page was 'Seagulls run rule over Celtic star' - as Brighton prepare for EPL life... Wanyama to Southampton, Van Dijk to Southampton, Forster to Southampton.

Celtic are a selling club. We are ALL selling clubs. Jack Ross may WANT to hold onto Player X, Y or Z...but he can pretty much do the square root of fcuk-all to stop them moving on.

Best to accept it and simply hope we get decent money for those leaving St Mirren.

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Nice sentiment, but it isn't going to happen. McGinn to Hibs, McLean to Aberdeen and Mallan to ???

Today's Sun back page was 'Seagulls run rule over Celtic star' - as Brighton prepare for EPL life... Wanyama to Southampton, Van Dijk to Southampton, Forster to Southampton.

Celtic are a selling club. We are ALL selling clubs. Jack Ross may WANT to hold onto Player X, Y or Z...but he can pretty much do the square root of fcuk-all to stop them moving on.

Best to accept it and simply hope we get decent money for those leaving St Mirren.

My dummy is spat out. We sell someone for £250,000 not win the league. We would earn more than that in the top league. I get players want to make more money. However I'm sure deals can be done especially with payments for fee's.  You get more for a player in the top league than you do in the championship.  

8 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

My dummy is spat out. We sell someone for £250,000 not win the league. We would earn more than that in the top league. I get players want to make more money. However I'm sure deals can be done especially with payments for fee's.  You get more for a player in the top league than you do in the championship.  

Yeah, in an ideal world we develop an entire squad of Stevie Mallans, Kenny McLeans, John McGinns, Lewis Morgans and we keep them for ten years as we romp to become challengers to Aberdeen and Rangers, while Celtic remain a class apart. Players kiss the badge and want to remain with us for life. If we do sell anyone, it's for ten million to a top English side...

Meanwhile, back in the real world of Scottish lower league football post-Bosman with players and agents holding all the aces...

Better get yourself a new dummy.

16 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Yeah, in an ideal world we develop an entire squad of Stevie Mallans, Kenny McLeans, John McGinns, Lewis Morgans and we keep them for ten years as we romp to become challengers to Aberdeen and Rangers, while Celtic remain a class apart. Players kiss the badge and want to remain with us for life. If we do sell anyone, it's for ten million to a top English side...

Meanwhile, back in the real world of Scottish lower league football post-Bosman with players and agents holding all the aces...

I hear Fitzy's been brushing up on his hypnotism - look into my eyes young sirs and sign the contracts! :wacko:

7 hours ago, renfrew said:

Would a 16 or 17 year old paying nothing suddenly pay £20 plus when he turn 18 ?  As for your answer to buying to let, I think the huge price bubbles is more a London problem rather than this area. The block of flats where I lived was new 12 years ago, but prices are only around 10% more now. I do agree with the rainy day fund but would want a good return from any extra cash.

You need to look at the bigger picture.

The average house price in Scotland is about £145k.

The average wage is about £25k.

Ideally average house prices should be about 3 or 4 times the average salary.

We clearly have a very serious house price problem because we are running at a multiple of about 6 times.

It isnt just London.

59 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I'm not a kid Pozbaird I live in the real world. Play clever believe in what you want to achieve.  Promotion is it achievable with most of the current squad. In my opinion yes. How much is a player worth in the championship? How much is a player worth in the top league? More I think so , if true offer a percentage of a deal. Can that happen ? I don't know however if I was on the board would look at every angle possible let's think out the box for once. 

Players get to move because by and large the club has not taken the gamble to tie them up on long contract. I know that players agents don't like long contracts which simply means that they are more expensive to set up. And rightly so. But if the money is right they will sign. 

You say Celtic are selling club, but they recently knocked back Chelsea when they came in for Gordon. 

There is no point in signing up Mallan for another year, to be any use it should be a two year extension min. 

4 hours ago, insaintee said:

Players get to move because by and large the club has not taken the gamble to tie them up on long contract. I know that players agents don't like long contracts which simply means that they are more expensive to set up. And rightly so. But if the money is right they will sign. 

You say Celtic are selling club, but they recently knocked back Chelsea when they came in for Gordon. 

There is no point in signing up Mallan for another year, to be any use it should be a two year extension min. 

I would love to hold on to all the kids till January at least but i reckon we will lose at least one.Stevie Mallan is now 21 and deserves his chance to move and make some serious cash out the game.He,s done enough to go straight into a championship team and not be lost to an under 23,s team playing in front of 500 on a Tuesday night.His value must be double what it was in January and i,m sure there will be a few more clubs interested now that he is an under 21 internationalist.If he was a little disappointed by not getting a move in January he must be delighted now.His stock has risen tremendously which will benefit both him and the club.Thank god a previous manager didnt hang around and destroy him altogether.Oh wee Stevie Mallan.

Stevie Mallan will and deserves a move down south, whether its this summer or next. He is at an age where he can no longer be considered as just a future prospect sitting in the reserves of a club. He is a goalscoring midfielder who is a deadball wizard, something that carries value.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barnsley come back in for him and are told his value has upped since their last offer. Off the back of his 2nd half to the season , he will no doubt have more than one club willing to offer for his services. We would need to weigh up our value of what he is worth compared to a development fee next summer. Would at least 500k be asking too much?

Celtic were mentioned as a selling club. Every club are a selling club as long as the price is right and value is matched, that is the reality of football. 

2 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Stevie Mallan will and deserves a move down south, whether its this summer or next. He is at an age where he can no longer be considered as just a future prospect sitting in the reserves of a club. He is a goalscoring midfielder who is a deadball wizard, something that carries value.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barnsley come back in for him and are told his value has upped since their last offer. Off the back of his 2nd half to the season , he will no doubt have more than one club willing to offer for his services. We would need to weigh up our value of what he is worth compared to a development fee next summer. Would at least 500k be asking too much?

Celtic were mentioned as a selling club. Every club are a selling club as long as the price is right and value is matched, that is the reality of football. 

Aye, but clubs like Man Utd, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc buy and sell in a different manner. They rarely lose a player they covet or don't want to lose - In regard to Celtic, I meant that they are pretty much in the same boat as St Mirren. We don't want to lose a Mallan, McGinn or McLean, but are powerless to fend off moves to Hibs, Aberdeen or whoever. Celtic won't want to lose a Van Djyk or, I would suggest, a gem like Kieran Tierney - but like us, are powerless to fend off moves from EPL predators.

They are a big club - but in a wee league. 

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You need to look at the bigger picture.

The average house price in Scotland is about £145k.

The average wage is about £25k.

Ideally average house prices should be about 3 or 4 times the average salary.

We clearly have a very serious house price problem because we are running at a multiple of about 6 times.

It isnt just London.

Well since we would agree on the housing side of it, what would you like to see happen IF the club had a 7 figure sum of money ?

18 hours ago, renfrew said:

18 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Invest in business ventures at the ground and in town. Cafe, bar etc... make the money work and sweat the asset.

The club in my mind should save a third for a rainy day, spend a third, invest a third. I'm not sold on the idea of buying housing to rent, however I think that there is merit in looking at buying 1 or 2 houses which could be used to put up loan signings in rather than rent them an apartment. I do agree that the club could and probably should look at what opportunities exist to broaden revenue streams beyond football income. My initial preference would be to build something more solid and substantial to replace the dome, something with seating that could be used for multiple sports, and with other facilities that could be used on non match days to bring people to the ground.