If we were to get a 7 figure sum of money from selling players

19 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Buy to let causes massive social problems with an entire generation of young people locked out of home ownwership and forced into renting thus causing artificial shortages of housing in both sectors leading to huge price bubbles so I would not like to see the club involved in such an unethical business practice.

Well I would.  Buy to let is actually now integral to our UK housing program.  Through the Westminster governments complete failure to replenish council house stock after "the big sell off" local councils are now sitting with an obligation to house people but have no houses to do so.  As such the much maligned "buy to let" landlords are actually integral to our housing program yet dullard politicians blame them when the failure is that of the UK government.

Also you assume that "buy to let" is for private housing.  That is a narrow minded view.  Buying up land near to motorways (as an example) and putting a big warehouse on it provides an excellent opportunity to lease industrial units.  Tritax big box are a company who's highly successful business model was just that.  The club could also consider investing said monies in property through a reit (real estate investment trust.), thus giving the club share in the profits of such a venture.  Examples of available reits are Tritax big box, British land (own the forge), Intu (yes the Braehead people) and so on and so forth.  Of course with Alan Wardrop on the board this knowledge is already well...known and I am sure "ropey" (as I have just Christened him) will have many more ideas far better than I could provide.

In short I agree with the OP, any big unexpected windfall should be invested.  That advice is as true for the club as it is for every one of it's fans.  Reits and other investment opportunities are available to us all. 

1 hour ago, Paisley brazilians said:

Best inventing the money in the team by putting up wages to fend off potential buyers.I think like many if we hold in to key players and bring in a few more then we stand a good chance of promotion next season 

Double their wages and you possibly still wouldn't fend off potential buyers of certain players.

2 hours ago, TediousTom said:

Well I would.  Buy to let is actually now integral to our UK housing program.  Through the Westminster governments complete failure to replenish council house stock after "the big sell off" local councils are now sitting with an obligation to house people but have no houses to do so.  As such the much maligned "buy to let" landlords are actually integral to our housing program yet dullard politicians blame them when the failure is that of the UK government.

Also you assume that "buy to let" is for private housing.  That is a narrow minded view.  Buying up land near to motorways (as an example) and putting a big warehouse on it provides an excellent opportunity to lease industrial units.  Tritax big box are a company who's highly successful business model was just that.  The club could also consider investing said monies in property through a reit (real estate investment trust.), thus giving the club share in the profits of such a venture.  Examples of available reits are Tritax big box, British land (own the forge), Intu (yes the Braehead people) and so on and so forth.  Of course with Alan Wardrop on the board this knowledge is already well...known and I am sure "ropey" (as I have just Christened him) will have many more ideas far better than I could provide.

In short I agree with the OP, any big unexpected windfall should be invested.  That advice is as true for the club as it is for every one of it's fans.  Reits and other investment opportunities are available to us all. 

Sorry Tom but the housing shortage and price bubble is certainly because of BTL. It is the only thing which explains the spike in both house prices and rent prices.

Maybe not 'buy-to-rent' but I like the idea of having either a small hotel or apartments to let out. We then pay ourselves for accommodation for loan players/trialists or fans staying over for games due to distance or hospitality or for the novelty factor. And being close to the airport I am sure we could get regular bookings especially if we tie in with the car parking. Just do not employ Basil Fawlty as the manager :)