Championship Teams for Next Season

Now that we're safe - who would we like to see getting beat by us next season in the Championship?

Like many I'd like Goody's Alloa to make it up through the play-offs

Coming down from the premiership I'd (selfishly) like Hamilton and Motherwell as they are easy away days for me.

It looks like we will get ICT - a good weekend away for those that can do it.

I don't see any reason why Falkirk can't go up.  I wouldn't have them as favourites against Motherwell or Hamilton, but they certainly would have a chance.

I always prefer to the strongest and biggest teams possible to be in our league, and teams that would bring a good support to Paisley.  Sadly we are losing Ayr and Hibs and replacing them with Inverness and Livingston.  Is there anything worse in football than a team like Livingston?

I don't think any of the teams in danger of relegation would be able to go straight back up.  Falkirk, Dunfermline or St Mirren will win the league next season.

Livingston and ICT will be in the league for sure, if we are to choose two of the other likely candidates I'd take Alloa and Motherwell, with Falkirk going up.

From the Premiership/Championship I'd like to see Dundee Utd. promoted & ICT(automatic) & Hamilton (via the play-offs) relegated as I believe they would be weaker challengers to us next season. Falkirk & Dunfermline will be in the mix next season but maybe not Morton as I feel they'll struggle to replicate this season's form.

From the Championship/Division 1 I'm not particularly bothered as I don't expect Saints to be at the bottom end of the division again so for sentimental reasons I'll keep my fingers crossed for Jim Goodwin's Alloa.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Can't say I'm too bothered about facing any of the possibilities from a footballing opponent perspective. We have proven ourselves to be able to go toe-to-toe with any of the current opponents. ICT are a club in decline. The Arabs would be in trouble should they fail to go up. Livingston will be a good away day as we will outnumber and out-sing them, plus our drummer isn't a cnut.

Falkirk are a good club with a support like ours, a solid core supporting their local team and the ability to muster bigger gates if they get on a roll. Another great away day for us behind that goal, and Falkirk's surface is one of the better ones of that nature.

Motherwell would be good. Put simply, I would just love to see those cnuts get relegated.

I don't want Hamilton to come down. Shite town, shite stadium, shite playing surface and shite coffee.

Bring em' all on. Joma Jack's B&W Army.

If Dundee United don't go up their budget will be decimated and existence in doubt! One can only hope we face them again next season!

ICT will come down.

I hope Alloa come up to replace Raith Rovers.

If Falkirk go up they deserve it after successive second place finishes.

Selfishly I hope they don't as I love matches there... but it would be churlish to grudge them success.

If they DO go up I reckon it will be at the expense of Accies. Not a nice thought.

Although 5 minutes from me, expensive soulless ground with the water for bovril directly drawn from a sewage tank!

Just now, BuddieinEK said:

If Dundee United don't go up their budget will be decimated and existence on doubt! One can only hope we face them again next season!

ICT will come down.
I hope Alloa come up to replace Raith Rovers.

If Falkirk go up they deserve it after successive second place finishes.
Selfishly I hope they don't as I love matches there... but it would be churlish to grudge them success.

If they DO go up I reckon it will be at the expense of Accies. Not a nice thought.

Although 5 minutes from me, expensive soulless ground with the water for bovril directly drawn from a sewage tank!

^^^^ This. B)

1 hour ago, southsidebud said:

Now that we're safe - who would we like to see getting beat by us next season in the Championship?

Coming down from the premiership I'd (selfishly) like Hamilton and Motherwell as they are easy away days for me.

Alloa up would suit me just fine as would Falkirk remaining in the Championship. Both from a travel perspective as I live near Stirling. 

Motherwell might bring a fair few fans so I would go for them and also nearer than Paisley for me.

That would leave ICT. As South Side says ... a good weekend away for those who can make it.

With Hibs out of the League and if Dundee United go back up then the biggest crowds will be at one of three grounds:

Greenhill Road, East End Park or Falkirk Stadium.

Edited by St.Ricky

4 hours ago, southsidebud said:

:huh: Everyone of them

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Would love if ICT and Hamilton came down. They'd both be pretty weak teams I think. Ideally with United going up. Would be us and Falkirk as favourites if that happened.

If Utd go up, I can see the top 3 next season being between ourselves, Falkirk and Dunfermline.

99/00 all over again! Manager comes in halfway through an abysmal previous season, whittles out the shite but takes a shoeing off Morton and then turns everything on a sixpence, ending in glory the following season.

A once in a lifetime season twice in a lifetime? Bring it on! :D

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If Utd go up, I can see the top 3 next season being between ourselves, Falkirk and Dunfermline.

99/00 all over again! Manager comes in halfway through an abysmal previous season, whittles out the shite but takes a shoeing off Morton and then turns everything on a sixpence, ending in glory the following season.

A once in a lifetime season twice in a lifetime? Bring it on! :D

If Dundee United go up, that means two current top flight teams dropping down. If that happens, I would guess one, if not both, would still be capable of being in the mix as challengers alongside the likes of St Mirren, Falkirk, Morton... 

I really don't think it matters who will be in the Championship, it'll be tough anyway, but I still feel the arse could fall out of Dundee United's world should they fail ro go up. ICT will be on a downward spiral but still strong enough especially at home to be challenging.

I'm just glad we'll be in the Championship. Got way too close for comfort. Just one Hibs goal in those final three minutes and...

Edited by pozbaird

Just now, pozbaird said:

If Dundee United go up, that means two current top flight teams dropping down. If that happens, I would guess one, if not both, would still be capable of being in the mix as challengers alongside the likes of St Mirren, Falkirk, Morton... 

I really don't think ir matters who will be in the Championship, it'll be tough anyway, but I still feel the arse could fall out of Dundee United's world should they fail ro go up. ICT will be on a downward spiral but still strong enough especially at home to be challenging.

I'm just glad we'll be in the Championship. Got way too close for comfort. Just one Hibs goal in those final three minutes and...

To be fair to Hibs, they looked completely uninterested in pushing for a winner after we equalised. Didn't stop me from panicking relentlessly though.

Depends who comes down really. In an ideal scenario it will be Hamilton and ICT. Both are in a bad way just now though Foran and/or Canning will certainly get the elbow if they're relegated. I can see Morton falling away next season, they are a painfully small squad and the chairman just doesn't like to invest.

Dundee Utd are in a hellish shape but I'd still rather have them out and Hamilton in to be fair. Hamilton are perennial diddies who have punched above their weight for way too long now. Dundee Utd on the other hand are a big club.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair to Hibs, they looked completely uninterested in pushing for a winner after we equalised. Didn't stop me from panicking relentlessly though.

Depends who comes down really. In an ideal scenario it will be Hamilton and ICT. Both are in a bad way just now though Foran and/or Canning will certainly get the elbow if they're relegated. I can see Morton falling away next season, they are a painfully small squad and the chairman just doesn't like to invest.

Dundee Utd are in a hellish shape but I'd still rather have them out and Hamilton in to be fair. Hamilton are perennial diddies who have punched above their weight for way too long now. Dundee Utd on the other hand are a big club.

Nah, not for me. Said it elsewhere, Hamilton is a shit away day in a shit stadium with a shit pitch, and they'll bring a shit support to the 2021 Theatre of Great Escapes. I simply don't want Hamilton to come down this season. I want them to come down next season - as we replace them. :D

If ICT come down, it'll be a team stuck with a rubbish rookie manager, or one who's just paid off the remaining 3 years of his deal, who have poor crowds at the best of times, now without away fans from the OF, Ross County and Aberdeen, replaced with the likes of the small away supports of Dumbarton and Raith/Brechin/Airdrie/Alloa - and a club who John Hughes left because of the lack of funds made available to them.

I'm hopeful they'll be rubbish.

Edited by JM1

Nice to be able to sit back and watch who joins us.

I have to be honest, I really dont think it matters at all. Cannot see anyone else beating us with this team and this manager over the course of a season. Cant remember a time I trusted a Saints manager more.

Just hope he can persuade every to sign up for a push at the SPL.

17 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Spot on, you really don't want Dundee Utd hanging around in the Championship. Despite their financial woes they will still be able to attract decent quality as they showed today with the pre-contract signing of James Keatings.

49 minutes ago, div said:

Spot on, you really don't want Dundee Utd hanging around in the Championship. Despite their financial woes they will still be able to attract decent quality as they showed today with the pre-contract signing of James Keatings.

Ah you're f**king kidding. Keatings was a guy I wanted to see in a Saints shirt. :(

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Ah you're f**king kidding. Keatings was a guy I wanted to see in a Saints shirt. :(

Confirmed today. Good signing, regardless of what league they are playing in next term.

Just now, div said:

Confirmed today. Good signing, regardless of what league they are playing in next term.

Absolutely. There's plenty of quality out there though and I'm sure Jack will have already made a few tentative enquiries that he'll be following up on in the next week or so.

59 minutes ago, div said:

That's 3 times he's been promoted to the premiership and every time he decided to sign for a championship club, could be 

a bad omen for DU in the playoffs...

We should want Dundee Utd out of the league with their budget with Hamilton & Inverness coming down.

If that happens anyone of eight teams will fancy their chances including us. The Championship is probably the most competitive league in the country and will again be next season no matter who is in it.

If Jack Ross is allowed to wheel and deal like he was in January and feels the need to do that I feel optimistic about the season ahead.

In saying that I always feel optimistic going into a season.

It's exciting seeing new players coming in and it's a clean slate for players and teams to impress.