Championship Teams for Next Season

1 minute ago, nedflanders123 said:

Feel for big Jim as it will be tougher next season with Raith and Ayr in the league. Well done Brechin but think your stay will be short.  Don't think play offs are fair as it should perhaps because one off between second top and second bottom of championship. Over the course of the season it should be - in this case Alloa were 12 points ahead of Brechin.

And Raith were a division above both but Brechin beat them. Thoroughly deserved given Brechin have over come both Raith and Alloa, playing both away in the second leg. Why we're folk wanting Alloa up when Brechin will be far poorer financed and hence weaker, perfect outcome for us.

Feel for big Jim as it will be tougher next season with Raith and Ayr in the league. Well done Brechin but think your stay will be short.  Don't think play offs are fair as it should perhaps because one off between second top and second bottom of championship. Over the course of the season it should be - in this case Alloa were 12 points ahead of Brechin.

I think most St Mirren fans myself inc. would have loved Goodie to get promoted. Not only for his years of great service, affinity to our club and being our cup winning captain.

I would like to see him being successful as I would love for him to be our manager sometime in the future but then again if he is too successful he will never look at managing us.

9 minutes ago, Dave The Buddie said:

I think most St Mirren fans myself inc. would have loved Goodie to get promoted. Not only for his years of great service, affinity to our club and being our cup winning captain.

I would like to see him being successful as I would love for him to be our manager sometime in the future but then again if he is too successful he will never look at managing us.

He claimed in the interview after the game that ,  "that was the worst he'd felt in 20 years of football " . 

17 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Brechin were actually closer in points to 10th than they were to 2nd.

Alloa or Brechin: it doesn't make a great deal of difference to us but I think Livingston and Dumbarton will be pleased tonight. There's a fair chance Brechin will be whipping boys next season.

Out of interest, I had a look at the head-to-heads and Brechin have only beaten us once in their history: 2-0 at Glebe Park on 17/01/04 about 6 weeks after Gus took over. They ended up finishing bottom of the league while we were 7th. Notable for being the last time Basher started a professional football match. Made a couple of appearances from the bench for us after that then that was it. He was still only 29. The St Mirren team was:

Woods, Van Zanten (McKenna), McGowne, Dempsie, McGroarty, Millen (Broadfoot), Gillies, Murray, Lavety, O'Neil (Crilly), Lappin

32 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Foran is under contract for another 3 years as well. Their options are sack him and take a big financial hit or stick with a guy who can't get the team playing and lost a dressing room.

Andy Barrowman was on the radio the other day saying how surprised he was that ICT brought in Malpas to help Foran because they didn't get on when they worked together before.

They're a real mess which is good news for us.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

Foran is under contract for another 3 years as well. Their options are sack him and take a big financial hit or stick with a guy who can't get the team playing and lost a dressing room.

Andy Barrowman was on the radio the other day saying how surprised he was that ICT brought in Malpas to help Foran because they didn't get on when they worked together before.

They're a real mess which is good news for us.

The guys on the Beeb today were saying there is already talk of Administration for ICT.

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

And Raith were a division above both but Brechin beat them. Thoroughly deserved given Brechin have over come both Raith and Alloa, playing both away in the second leg. Why we're folk wanting Alloa up when Brechin will be far poorer financed and hence weaker, perfect outcome for us.

No doubt some misery guts will say it's bad because Alloa would have brought 30 more away supporters.:wacko:

The disappointing aspect to next season is that there are going to be very few big away supports coming to Paisley with only Morton, Falkirk and Dunfermline bringing any supports worth of note.

Brechin, Inverness, Dumbarton, Queens, Hamilton (assume they will lose play off) and Livingston all bringing less than 250.

It's therefore even more important that the home fans turn up in good numbers to compensate for this loss in revenue.

Really looking forward to the new season and genuine chance to make a real push for the top 4 or even top spot.

Morgan and McGennis will only get better plus I am sure we will get some of the players from last season signed up plus there will be some new signings in the next month or so.

I think we are in for a very special season.

If the final piece of the jigsaw is Hamilton then it really is an open division next year.

Bookies will probably have Falkirk and relegated Premiership teams as the three favourites with us (and maybe Morton) just sitting 'outside the medals'.

Hopefully JR gets the business done early in terms of key re-signings (we know who they are) plus a couple of major signings (second keeper / out and out striker)

If this is done then we can win the league. 

14 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I think wanting Alloa up rather than Brechin wasn't based on relative strengths or finances of each club. It was because Alloa are managed by a St Mirren cup winning legend, and he's trying to do well with a part-time team. It would have been nice for us to play Alloa and give Goody a song or two. Alloa is also a lot nearer than Brechin, a doddle to get to, just over the Kincardine Bridge.

I think I've pretty much nailed it why a lot of us wanted Alloa - Jim Goodwin, and it's nearer.

11 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I think wanting Alloa up rather than Brechin wasn't based on relative strengths or finances of each club. It was because Alloa are managed by a St Mirren cup winning legend, and he's trying to do well with a part-time team. It would have been nice for us to play Alloa and give Goody a song or two. Alloa is also a lot nearer than Brechin, a doddle to get to, just over the Kincardine Bridge.

I think I've pretty much nailed it why a lot of us wanted Alloa - Jim Goodwin, and it's nearer.

Is it? :lol:

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Oh, you forgot to mention that, sorry.:blink:

Oh, and, C'mon Brechin. :clapping

I reckoned it was a given I meant it was nearer than Brechin for the majority of Saints fans who attend away games. I cannot be held responsible for the hard-of-thinking. :)

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I reckoned it was a given I meant it was nearer than Brechin for the majority of Saints fans who attend away games. I cannot be held responsible for the hard-of-thinking:)

You do come across like that at times but I don't hold it against you. :lol:

In fact it's more you have no sense of humour, but that's ok as well, takes all types. :P

Isn't it ironic who likes your post? :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

33 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You do come across like that at times but I don't hold it against you. :lol:

In fact it's more you have no sense of humour, but that's ok as well, takes all types. :P

Isn't it ironic who likes your post? :lol:

:double:lol:

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:16 AM, Mr Zo said:

The disappointing aspect to next season is that there are going to be very few big away supports coming to Paisley with only Morton, Falkirk and Dunfermline bringing any supports worth of note.

Was speaking to a Pars fan at work and they are worried for the season ahead on a budget point of view. They will have lost big away gates vs Raith and Hibs next season, and if United go too they reckon that over the season they would be down about 6000-8000 people through the away gates, never mind the reduction in home gate too. That's in excess of £100k disappearing from their last years budget, before any corresponding drop in home revenue, advertising or hospitality.