Back To Reality

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

he has signed his own deadwood in Fjelde, Storey, Todd etc, proving how unpredictable turning over so many players cab be.

Etc ?????????????  Who from McGinn, O'Brien, Eckersley, Stelios, Smith, Loy and Davis are in the Etc? THERE IS NO ETC.

And as for the 3 mentioned. Storie was signed as defensive midfield cover before McGinn offered his services. Todd had played in every Dumbarton game (a team ahead of us) before we signed him. Would I have these two guys before the likes of Hutton, Calum Gallagher, Tom Walsh - yes indeedy.  Just because they are not playing regularly in a team on a run that is better than anything we have done for 15 years does not make them duds. And Fjelde is pretty well unproven, although he looked ok if not spectacular in his few appearances, so too early to judge - for most of us that is.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

The idea of a saints fan dictating to other saints fans how worthy, or not they are isnt in my book very supportive. But hey each to their own.

how many offered Rae their unconditional support? Or indeed Lennon etc...?

Rae was completely out of his depth at the helm of our great club, the man is a footballing dinosaur with absolutely no idea how to coach let alone manage. He should never have been anywhere near the job in the first place. Danny Lennon deserved much better from the previous board who again made a huge blunder by dispensing with his services and appointing a man who at best was a coach or a number two.

If you and a few others dont like Jack Ross then your perfectly entitled to your opininons, but surely you cant deny that the management team have given us belief and created a bond with the fan base thats not been present since Tom Hendrie was at the helm.

There is something special going on and its fantastic to feel part of it, we as fans should all embarce it and look forward with great optimism to next season.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

So as a manager what has he won, whats his achievements? He said it himself he wont be celebrating just avoiding relegation. 

At least he has a grip on reality.

Respect and support of the fans. Well most of them. He has achieved in putting out a team that has entertained us. Well me at least.

Agree. Storie did a good job before McGinns arrival. Todd has done well when called upon ( but iirc isn't he only singed till end of season anyway ) Good squad player who might well be worth hanging on to. & Fjelde has also looked decent but given the form of players he is back up too ,always going to be difficult to judge with limited game time 
Duds ? Don't think so.

How can you class these guys as deadwood just because they are not in the starting lineup every week? You can only fill 11 places in the starting '11' and those in front of them in the pecking order were difficult to budge. 

Etc ?????????????  Who from McGinn, O'Brien, Eckersley, Stelios, Smith, Loy and Davis are in the Etc? THERE IS NO ETC.
And as for the 3 mentioned. Storie was signed as defensive midfield cover before McGinn offered his services. Todd had played in every Dumbarton game (a team ahead of us) before we signed him. Would I have these two guys before the likes of Hutton, Calum Gallagher, Tom Walsh - yes indeedy.  Just because they are not playing regularly in a team on a run that is better than anything we have done for 15 years does not make them duds. And Fjelde is pretty well unproven, although he looked ok if not spectacular in his few appearances, so too early to judge - for most of us that is.

Indeed.

It is also worth noting the significant improvement in form of many first teamplayers because they had to up their game to stay in the starting eleven.

The whole squad played its part.

36 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

How can you class these guys as deadwood just because they are not in the starting lineup every week? You can only fill 11 places in the starting '11' and those in front of them in the pecking order were difficult to budge. 

They have all been given games and been found wanting, Fjelde hasnt played for months, so i guess we can conclude Ross doesnt rate him. Storey was largely ineffective and will be back up the road to his club, Todd again, bit part, unimpressive will just be seeing out his short term deal.

25 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Davis is intresting if fit again he would be a great addition, but any offer he would be inclined to accept might not come until there is transfer/sell on money in the kitty.

Fjelde got his chance and hasnt featured in ages, as did Storey. Its mot that they haven't featured regularly, its that they haven't impressed the manager enough to get the jersey. Unless you think we should have benched McKenzie, McGinn and Magennis to fit Fjelde, Storey and Todd in?

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Davis is intresting if fit again he would be a great addition, but any offer he would be inclined to accept might not come until there is transfer/sell on money in the kitty.

Fjelde got his chance and hasnt featured in ages, as did Storey. Its mot that they haven't featured regularly, its that they haven't impressed the manager enough to get the jersey. Unless you think we should have benched McKenzie, McGinn and Magennis to fit Fjelde, Storey and Todd in?

Is this not the point others have been making ? It doesn't necessarily make them bad players though . They've been kept out of the team because the team were flying . 

11 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Rae was completely out of his depth at the helm of our great club, the man is a footballing dinosaur with absolutely no idea how to coach let alone manage. He should never have been anywhere near the job in the first place. Danny Lennon deserved much better from the previous board who again made a huge blunder by dispensing with his services and appointing a man who at best was a coach or a number two.

If you and a few others dont like Jack Ross then your perfectly entitled to your opininons, but surely you cant deny that the management team have given us belief and created a bond with the fan base thats not been present since Tom Hendrie was at the helm.

There is something special going on and its fantastic to feel part of it, we as fans should all embarce it and look forward with great optimism to next season.

Funny thing is Rae got all the plaudits for consolidating and keeping us up last season, as Ross took Alloa down. 

We have certainly had a turnround, but you have to look at the whole picture of the season, Rae started off worse than expected by most in the league, Ross had a complete nightmare run of six straight defeats, and two wins in fourteen, its great he finally got us playing, but you dint learn and move forward by simply ignoring your failings!

you have to acknowledge and learn from them to be stronger, wiser etc... Ross has said as much, so i will take my lead from his appraisal and look forward to how he shapes us, and guides us next season.

Just now, munoz said:

Is this not the point others have been making ? It doesn't necessarily make them bad players though . They've been kept out of the team because the team were flying . 

Well lets see if he tries to sign/re-sign them? That will tell how he rates them. Imo he has already shown us where they stand.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Well lets see if he tries to sign/re-sign them? That will tell how he rates them. Imo he has already shown us where they stand.

I wouldn't be too bothered if we didn't re-sign any of them , as I've not seen enough of them . Still dosn't make them "deadwood " though .

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Does it matter? He signed 10 players, 7 of whom were first team and 3 of whom became backup players and were generally on the bench. That's an absolutely brilliant transfer window, a compete success.

It's absolutely unbelievable that anyone could put a negative spin on what we have achieved in the last few months.

Some folk just aren't happy unless they are moaning about something.

Can't really say I'm surprised right enough.

31 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There has to be the odd few who would put a negative spin even on a lottery win. Bizarre? 

20 minutes ago, div said:

It's absolutely unbelievable that anyone could put a negative spin on what we have achieved in the last few months.

Some folk just aren't happy unless they are moaning about something.

Can't really say I'm surprised right enough.

Maybe you well informed gentlemen can tell me where the 'negative spin' is?

we had a great last third of the season avoiding the playoffs by one goal. The first two thirds we were the worst team in the league, you can chose to ignore it, or as i am sure Ross is doing, learn from it.

maybe it was all a dream, and we were in fact playing for the title on Saturday?

funny how some can say "it wasn't really something to celebrate" and are lauded as all seeing gods! Maybe they are?

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Maybe you well informed gentlemen can tell me where the 'negative spin' is?

we had a great last third of the season avoiding the playoffs by one goal. The first two thirds we were the worst team in the league, you can chose to ignore it, or as i am sure Ross is doing, learn from it.

You've even managed it in your own reply :lol:

We are all painfully aware of how bad the first two thirds of the season were. What possible purpose does it serve dredging it all up again?

Do you think none of the rest of us remember?

Why not just focus on what we acheived in that last third, and you know, enjoy it rather than continuing to moan about what went before?

4 minutes ago, div said:

You've even managed it in your own reply :lol:

We are all painfully aware of how bad the first two thirds of the season were. What possible purpose does it serve dredging it all up again?

Do you think none of the rest of us remember?

Why not just focus on what we acheived in that last third, and you know, enjoy it rather than continuing to moan about what went before?

Who is moaning? I am looking at the whole of our season gone, and making my assessment of it, as incidentally has the manager and it seems at least the both of us see it with the same clarity.

Countless times in posts today I have said "lets see what squad and performances Ross can get next season, and make us title contenders" and yet it seems most chose to ignore that and criticise for pointing out some other obvious facts. 

Here's a question, how many on here before the season started would have taken, or believed we would avoid the relegation playoffs by one goal? I certainly don't  recall anyone predicting anything like that.

24 minutes ago, Yflab said:

That's twice you've said we only stayed up by one goal. Think you will find that we were 13goals better off than Raith. Only Hibs and Falkirk scored more goals than us this season.

Check it out here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/table

The one goal that got us a draw. Although I am sure you knew that. 

So, following that logic the fact that Morata can't get a game in front of Benzema or Rashford fails to usurp Zlatan means they're duds too?

Is it possible their respective managers like them but think the incumbents are simply better players?

How does that make you a dud?

39 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Who is moaning? I am looking at the whole of our season gone, and making my assessment of it, as incidentally has the manager and it seems at least the both of us see it with the same clarity.

Countless times in posts today I have said "lets see what squad and performances Ross can get next season, and make us title contenders" and yet it seems most chose to ignore that and criticise for pointing out some other obvious facts. 

Here's a question, how many on here before the season started would have taken, or believed we would avoid the relegation playoffs by one goal? I certainly don't  recall anyone predicting anything like that.

Yeah, thanks for pointing out how shite we were at the start of the season, I had forgotten all about that. Brilliant to be reminded.

Our wee ray of sunshine, just like your brother who decided to use Saturday night of all nights, as I was celebrating in the Bankhouse, to have a go at ME about Richard Atkinson for some unknown reason.

Let's find a good thing, and try and make it a negative. Brilliant outlook on life.

A lot of grumpy bassas on our Forum today. 

Strange , considering the future of St Mirren Football Club is extremely bright. 

Not nice to goad fellow buddies. 

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

The idea of a saints fan dictating to other saints fans how worthy, or not they are isnt in my book very supportive. But hey each to their own.

how many offered Rae their unconditional support? Or indeed Lennon etc...?

You're right, there is no such thing as unconditional support. I was a big fan of Lennon and was at least as sad about him leaving  as TC was about Gus leaving. But you can't just throw the toys out the pram. 

What I don't get is the loyalty shown to Rae. He came in and stabilised the ship a bit. He took us from 8th to 6th or something like that. He then totally destroyed what ever was good about the team and had us playing the worst football I've ever seen us play. He seemed totally disinterested and when asked to spend less time with Rangers media told us to F off.

I get it from his point of view too. In his eyes we're a diddy team. And he probably earns as much from Rangers media as he did from us. But surely if you have any self respect you still do the best job you can. 

Ross was clearly looking to build long term right from the start. He's managed to get the board to think beyond having a starting eleven and some back up and potentially some kids stepping up from the U20's 

So we had Storie and Mcgennis, and Mallan and Quinn in the middle, But We still get McGinn. 

We had McKenzie, Gordon, Webster and Baird, but we sill got Davis and Fjeild 

We had Sutton, and Loy but still got Smith. 

We had Irvine and Eckersley but still got Stellios. 

He's not got everything right, but he's got a lot right that's for sure.

2 hours ago, class of 76-77 said:

More of a dinosaur than Garry Locke or even Peter Huston. There's nothing wrong with the old kick and rush if. 

a/ You've got the right players for it,

b/you do it properly 

c/you can't come up with something better. 

Alex failed on all three points. 

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

They have all been given games and been found wanting, Fjelde hasnt played for months, so i guess we can conclude Ross doesnt rate him. Storey was largely ineffective and will be back up the road to his club, Todd again, bit part, unimpressive will just be seeing out his short term deal.

This is so wrong, and it's like the ghost of old board past. If they're not playing first team what the point of paying them. 

It's called building a squad. something we've not done in a long time. I've seen enough of Todd to know that he can do a job if for example Morgan picked up an injury:D

Storie and Fjeild also provide back up and could go on to push the players in the starting eleven. We were fortunate not to have to call on either player but I think Fjeild looked ok when he's been called on and Storie was a big part of our cup win in Dundee.