Back To Reality

Quite a lot a pedantry and pettiness on this thread. Alex Rae did us a turn last season but was hopeless this season.

Jack Ross with the backing of the new board, all of the fans (season ticket holders, pay at the gate fans and the 1,300+ SMISA members), his own eye for a player and being the wheeler and dealer (even on LinkedIn) we were promised has got the team playing an attractive brand of attacking football and considering the hopeless position we were in I for one am delighted (and not at all bothered by the hopeless punctuation resulting in one long rant of a sentence).

Time to grow up, enjoy some positivity, not rise to the bait and enjoy the moment for what it is...a fantastic turnaround for which all of those involved (listed above and the players) should be proud. Let's just all hope we're battling to avoid the play offs at the other end of the table next year! [emoji6]

This season is what REAL football is all about imo. Highs, lows, ups n downs and when a team on the brink of disaster gels like that to succeed in achieving safety when even the most positive person at some stage had all but written us off is amazing. I honestly think fans got more for their money this last 3 months than the last 3 years. Delighted for everyone involved.

6 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Countless times in posts today I have said "lets see what squad and performances Ross can get next season, and make us title contenders" and yet it seems most chose to ignore that and criticise for pointing out some other obvious facts. 

Wasn't once enough.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If there are ANY of you who only want to celebrate when we physically win a league or Cup then with all the respect in the world, you are supporting the wrong club.

There are two clubs just a few miles away in Glasgow where you might find better luck.

The idea that Jack has not achieved anything is simply laughable. I can't take that seriously. It is beyond disrespectful after what he has done for us in the last few months.

It is a hard fact that for a club like ours we will from time to time make the wrong call on a manager or squad and face potentially disastrous consequences. Saturday was a success and we should be celebrating it IMO. Unashamedly.

Even more laughable is you thinking there are TWO clubs. not sure Partick are likely to win another cup for a wee while.

Suppose I should be in with the doubters/non-believers, although I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

I wasn't a great fan of Jack Ross being appointed after what he did at Alloa last season. Effectively he was getting it on the basis of a couple of good months with them at the start of this season. However, if guys like Davies, Warnock and Hughes (thanks God he turned us down) hadn't been linked with us then I'd probably have been more accepting. Certainly of the four candidates it supposedly came down to he was the best/least bad option at the time.

The first few months under him were horrendous and I had accepted we were down. When Morton scored on Hogmanay and their fans sang "The skunks are going down" I found it hard to disagree. I voted against the SMiSA money going into the player pool because I didn't think it would make any difference. I was even against us doing any transfer business in January as, being realistic, we were screwed. Far better to blood youngsters for life in League One rather than build a squad that would get relegated then we'd need to build another squad with those youngsters the main part of it. Even if we did get a good squad together, it would take too long for them to gel for it to be worthwhile.

Confirms beyond any doubt that I know absolutely feck all about football. The turnaround has been nothing short of incredible and Ross, Fowler and everyone else deserve full credit for that. He made 10 signings in January and only Fjelde and Storie have made no impact (which is different to being pish like Hutton). The rest have all done something of note to greater or lesser degrees - even Todd, whose goal against Dundee United would have been vital if we'd held on.

Even more remarkable is the way we've played ourselves out of trouble. We've not shitfested our way to safety, we've played exciting, attractive football. We had to go for it because draws wouldn't help but the attacking intent has paid off because the goals we rattled in against Raith Rovers, Ayr and Morton are a huge part of the goal difference that helped keep us up. We've also had to do this with endless midweek games, injuries to key players (Davis and Morgan) and getting sod all help from other teams for the most part.

It shows how impressive a job the management have done that some folk were only half joking they wouldn't mind if we made the play-offs because it would mean the season would continue. The past few months have been the best I can recall outwith the title winning seasons of 1999/2000 and 2005/06. Following midweek games on Twitter has been nervewracking and enjoyable at the same time (aside from the Raith game). The Irn-Bru Cup final was the most fun I've had at a Saints game for years. The 4-1 win at Cappielow is one of the few Saints games in recent years I've missed that I wish I was at.

Avoiding relegation at the start of the season shouldn't have been the aim but circumstances changed that. Ultimately, the celebrations on Saturday weren't just about avoiding the drop, they were about the end of an amazing few months which have seen the connection between the team and the fans at its highest in years and the completion of the great escape without even needing the play-offs.

So aye, I gave up the faith - but I rediscovered it. When did I think we'd avoid the drop? About five o'clock on Saturday night...

6 hours ago, FTOF said:

Any more digging by Lookatme and he'll be in Australia.

I pity Baldy Oz Bud.

Australia is vast, much of it has little or no internet coverage, so it might not be so bad.... I hear the Simpson Desert is very picturesque :whistle

19 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If there are ANY of you who only want to celebrate when we physically win a league or Cup then with all the respect in the world, you are supporting the wrong club.

There are two clubs just a few miles away in Glasgow where you might find better luck.

The idea that Jack has not achieved anything is simply laughable. I can't take that seriously. It is beyond disrespectful after what he has done for us in the last few months.

It is a hard fact that for a club like ours we will from time to time make the wrong call on a manager or squad and face potentially disastrous consequences. Saturday was a success and we should be celebrating it IMO. Unashamedly.

13 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Even more laughable is you thinking there are TWO clubs. not sure Partick are likely to win another cup for a wee while.

:(

Oh dear.

I must have missed the sad news about Queens Park.

RIP

:)