Jack Baird - 1 yr extension

• 3 months later...

On 12/05/2017 at 3:57 PM, Soctty said:

I'll put my head on the line and say I can see Jack Baird becoming a very good centre back given the right coaching and management, which I think Jack Ross will be capable of giving him. Given the dearth of Saints players being capped over the years - certainly while at the club - it is a big step to see him reaching that level, but given the lack of quality centre backs representing Scotland, maybe it isn't out of the question to see him going close to the level where he might be considered in time if he can keep improving as a footballer.

Rather than mock and scoff at that possibility, I'd rather welcome the new deal for Jack, and give him huge credit for coming back to form after coming back into the team following Davis' injury, and talk about what I believe is the potential he has to develop into a much better defender. i know I'm not alone, as those I go to the match with week in week out are of the same opinion on this 21 year old centre back. He might stall at this point and regress but I certainly think he has what it takes physically to become a better centre back, and if he can do that, who knows?

Bump

good call Scotty

I thought he was definitely the MotM last night.

His goal was good but his defending towards the end of the game was brilliant. I have been waiting to see Saints defenders put themselves in the path of shots for ages and it was something I think we have been lacking, but not last night. When you watch the English Premiership and Championship you constantly see defenders put their bodies in front of shots and take one for the team.

That's exactly what Jack Baird did for the team last night.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Great news.

and to think i was pilloried on these boards by saints fans  for quoting the fact a Radio pundit had tipped him as a potential scotland cap. Gaun yersel big JB... get it roon them.

Watch your heid when you leave the room.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Great news.

and to think i was pilloried on these boards by saints fans  for quoting the fact a Radio pundit had tipped him as a potential scotland cap. Gaun yersel big JB... get it roon them.

There is a fair chance it would be Saints fans on this Saints forum ??

When it comes to players contracts ,what is it with all this talk of "why hasnt he been offered this  " and "why hasnt the club done this" etc .

Where do all these ITK people get their information  ?    Generally speaking ,we dont know what players have been offered we only see what has been agreed.

The player, whoever that may be may only want a year, the agent may be putting his tuppence worth in. The Club may have others lined up to come in and only want a back up etc .  We can all have opinions as to who is worth what but for a default position to be to castigate the club for not offering enough seems petty & ill informed.

Empty vessels make the most noise.

The abuse is flowing already :lol:

Why can't Jack sign on till 2020 or 2021 ? 

He is a brilliant player and is going to get even better. 

He will get a move very easily no matter the length of his Contract 

Other Clubs can do it and make plenty money as do their players. 

When it comes to players contracts ,what is it with all this talk of "why hasnt he been offered this  " and "why hasnt the club done this" etc .

Where do all these ITK people get their information  ?    Generally speaking ,we dont know what players have been offered we only see what has been agreed.

The player, whoever that may be may only want a year, the agent may be putting his tuppence worth in. The Club may have others lined up to come in and only want a back up etc .  We can all have opinions as to who is worth what but for a default position to be to castigate the club for not offering enough seems petty & ill informed.

Empty vessels make the most noise.

Personally I never speculated on what length was offered, merely that he'll be able to go for free next summer. [emoji106]

14 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Personally I never speculated on what length was offered, merely that he'll be able to go for free next summer. emoji106.png

Understand that and what you say is right. He will be able to go for nothing next season ..... if he isnt offered and signs a new contract as his current one draws to a close. 

If & when that contract is offered, the ball is in the players court. He can sign what is offered , negotiate more or move on.  What most of us wont usually know is, if a contract is offered, what the terms of that offer is.   

On some occasions you will see statements such as " we offered a two year contract but the player wanted one.. or three .. or whatever" but generally that is not the case.

That doesnt stop some slagging the club off for not doing this or that when the truth is , they know diddly squat .