Langfield Extends Contract

Jamie Langfield extends contract

SMFC Webteam
 Saints News

St Mirren Football Club can announce that Jamie Langfield has signed a one-year contract extension.

The 37 year-old joined his boyhood side in 2015 as a player/goalkeeping coach, going on to make 52 appearances for the Buddies.

Manager Jack Ross said: "We were impressed with Jamie's coaching in the last part of the season. We felt that he really improved as a coach and were impressed with the job he did improving Billy O'Brien and the other young goalkeepers.

"While he will be registered as a player we are very much looking to bring in some goalkeepers and Jamie's main focus next season will be on the coaching side of things."

Despite him staying I see we're looking to bring in more than one goalie over the summer. Surely a new goalie, Langfield and a youngster would be enough and the money could be better spent elsewhere?

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

Despite him staying I see we're looking to bring in more than one goalie over the summer. Surely a new goalie, Langfield and a youngster would be enough and the money could be better spent elsewhere?

To be fair, I'd imagine Langfield isn't staying on the wage he'd have been on given he's now primarily a coach and not a first team squad player. More a Paul Mathers type role that he's only called upon if everyone else is unavailable.

Still, he's a good option in those circumstances

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

get where you`re coming from but imo a good goalkeeper is  as important as a ball winning centre half or a goal scoring forward. Indeed you could argue goalie more importnant. We finished 3rd top scorers without our forwards bursting nets on a regular basis. We had the other 9 outfield players chipping in. A good goalkeeper on the other hand wins games AND gives the team confidence coming for cross balls,starts attacks with great distribution .  Too often they are underestimated in their importance. 

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Hmmm. How many coaches do we need? I'm hoping that on the goalkeeper front that O'Brien will not be our first choice keeper next season - he had a few good games but most games he seemed to spill saves and catches when there didn't look to be any pressure

Six?

Up to 20 clubs have applied for elite academy status but many are unhappy with several details including the demand to have six full-time staff focusing on development

Could well be that Langfield is one of our six, as he will be focussing on developing our keepers at all age stages.

The coach being a competitor for a place in the team doesn't make any logical sense. So it's either the Langfield type scenario we have offered or no goalkeeping coach at all. It's a no brainer to appoint a goalkeeping coach IMO. As others have said the salary will be considerably below what Jamie Langfield has been on until now.

22 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Six?

Could well be that Langfield is one of our six, as he will be focussing on developing our keepers at all age stages.

You wonder if it's a coincidence that our 3 most-wanted players of recent seasons (McGinn, McLean and Mallan) have all been central midfielders. Has coaching played a part?

I've been waiting for years for a goalscorer to come through the ranks and be a success but no one's come close. McKenna, McShane, Reilly.... You'd probably have to go back to McGarry and Lavety as guys who established themselves at a good level.

It's a similar story with goalies. They're all bought in. Have we had an academy keeper in goals even once?

"Manager Jack Ross said: "We were impressed with Jamie's coaching in the last part of the season. We felt that he really improved as a coach and were impressed with the job he did improving Billy O'Brien and the other young goalkeepers".

Is it just me that thought O'Brien started to look like a rabbit caught in headlights after Jamie's coaching kicked in?

6 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

"Manager Jack Ross said: "We were impressed with Jamie's coaching in the last part of the season. We felt that he really improved as a coach and were impressed with the job he did improving Billy O'Brien and the other young goalkeepers".

Is it just me that thought O'Brien started to look like a rabbit caught in headlights after Jamie's coaching kicked in?

Yes, it is just you.

54 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

My first thought was to have a meltdown and organize a lynchmob to burn down GHR but after taking some sedatives I'm going to go with the cheap & cheerful coach and backup-backup keeper option.

Aye.

In Jack we trust.

Aherm....

52 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

You wonder if it's a coincidence that our 3 most-wanted players of recent seasons (McGinn, McLean and Mallan) have all been central midfielders. Has coaching played a part?

I've been waiting for years for a goalscorer to come through the ranks and be a success but no one's come close. McKenna, McShane, Reilly.... You'd probably have to go back to McGarry and Lavety as guys who established themselves at a good level.

It's a similar story with goalies. They're all bought in. Have we had an academy keeper in goals even once?

Not too recently but our goalie the last time we won the championship was a product of our academy and was our first choice for 3 or so years.

O'Brien sung his praises on twitter, Jack is noo also ive only been on twitter a few weeks but he seems very passionate about the club and his role and you could see at the bankhouse he is a character/good rapport with the guys. Jack knows what he is doing...noo just get O'Brien signed he'll do fine!

I'm happy with this. He seems like a character* and I think we should be doing everything we can to keep all elements of the dressing room together. 

* and I mean that in a good way, not as a euphemism for 'funny for 30 seconds but then you just f**king hate him'.

11 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

We have in the academy a keeper who is the club's biggest asset

A host of clubs watching his progress

I think it's extremely harsh to blame Jamie for that, I thought at the time that Billy was just starting to get a bit affected by the pressure we found ourselves under.

21 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I'm happy with this. He seems like a character* and I think we should be doing everything we can to keep all elements of the dressing room together. 

* and I mean that in a good way, not as a euphemism for 'funny for 30 seconds but then you just f**king hate him'.

You've just described Michael McIntyre to a tee. :)