Dumbing down sport

pozbaird

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

... for the younger generation who have the attention span of a newt and would rather be on Facebook anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/39938989

....to enable corporate advertisers more airtime.

I think you are making a wee bit of a generalisation about young folks, here.  Look around, and you'll find that their parents are at least as likely to be surgically grafted to their phones.

A recent survey of younger children found that a significant proportion of them feel lonely because their parents are spending so much time online.

Anyway.... tennis:whistle

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

....to enable corporate advertisers more airtime.

I think you are making a wee bit of a generalisation about young folks, here.  Look around, and you'll find that their parents are at least as likely to be surgically grafted to their phones.

A recent survey of younger children found that a significant proportion of them feel lonely because their parents are spending so much time online.

Anyway.... tennis:whistle

The article did say that they didn't know where the next generation of viewers would come from, so they are trialing this dumbed-down version, hence me assuming those running tennis think that unless they come up with a version of tennis that is over quicker than a Scotland World Cup qualifying campaign, the youngsters in future won't be interested.

Andy Murray v Del Potro in the Rio Olympic final was sport at its best. Two men out there for hours, dead on their feet and after a thrilling battle, hugged each other, exhausted at the end.

Fcuk golf with cheerleaders and fireworks. IMHO. 

Edited by pozbaird

43 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The article did say that they didn't know where the next generation of viewers would come from, so they are trialing this dumbed-down version, hence me assuming those running tennis think that unless they come up with a version of tennis that is over quicker than a Scotland World Cup qualifying campaign, the youngsters in future won't be interested.

Andy Murray v Del Potro in the Rio Olympic final was sport at its best. Two men out there for hours, dead on their feet and after a thrilling battle, hugged each other, exhausted at the end.

Fcuk golf with cheerleaders and fireworks. IMHO. 

Don't disagree. I love the gruelling matches. A superb spectacle.

I reckon their claims about attracting younger folk is a smokescreen for making it more TV (ie, advertising) friendly.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Don't disagree. I love the gruelling matches. A superb spectacle.

I reckon their claims about attracting younger folk is a smokescreen for making it more TV (ie, advertising) friendly.

Looking forward to Mo Farah's races being shortened to 100m, with TV paying to see a matchup between Mo and Bolt...fcuk all that boring long distance shite.

Pfffttt. hurrumph

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Looking forward to Mo Farah's races being shortened to 100m, with TV paying to see a matchup between Mo and Bolt...fcuk all that boring long distance shite.

Pfffttt. hurrumph

looking forward to the Brazilian Ladies beach volleyball team Vs Vladimir Klitschko in the mixed double final at Wimbledon

I hear they are about to trial an Atomic Particles Cup match between protons and electrons.

Should be a highly charged affair.

They had to use a neutron as the ref. Guaranteed to be neutral.

The game was played in a swimming pool. Play flowed from one end to the other.

I hope someone is writing all this down.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I hear they are about to trial an Atomic Particles Cup match between protons and electrons.

For the love of god............:wacko:

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Local reports of a closely fought golf match between English teachers.

It was tense. You may have to think about that one.....

Please, someone, cut off his broadband. :blink:

13 hours ago, pozbaird said:

... for the younger generation who have the attention span of a newt and would rather be on Facebook anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/39938989

Shot clock sounds like a good idea. Guys like Nadal spend far too long messing around between shots. Should do the same in golf, might help stop club golfers taking forever because they see the pros do it on TV.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Shot clock sounds like a good idea. Guys like Nadal spend far too long messing around between shots. Should do the same in golf, might help stop club golfers taking forever because they see the pros do it on TV.

There is a time on players between the point being finished and serving.

Players get a time warning, and it does get used.

This, I suppose, only makes it more visible for the spectators?

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

There is a time on players between the point being finished and serving.

Players get a time warning, and it does get used.

This, I suppose, only makes it more visible for the spectators?

It's a bit like the six seconds rule for goalies though - how often do you see it enforced? It happens occasionally but not as often as it should. Having a clock there should stop that problem.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Pisses me off in professional golf how long a round takes. It's increased from 3-3.5 hours to well over 5 hours now. 

I argued this once and was told that people liked it and wanted the top pros making all the brilliant shots, but I think they should be made to play within a pace. Bet if it was a shot penalty for ever 10 mins over 4.5 hours they'd be firing round. 

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

Pisses me off in professional golf how long a round takes. It's increased from 3-3.5 hours to well over 5 hours now. 

I argued this once and was told that people liked it and wanted the top pros making all the brilliant shots, but I think they should be made to play within a pace. Bet if it was a shot penalty for ever 10 mins over 4.5 hours they'd be firing round. 

Amateur golf as well.

Sunday morning golfers taking "practice swings" FFS.

Just put the ball down, aim and f**king hit the thing.

All the gear, no idea.

Almost as cringeworthy as people cycling to work in full body lycra suits.

Seriously, if anyone is engaging on that here just stop.

Please.

When you bend over your lycra goes almost entirely see-through.

And finally those adults who wear football kits outside either a playing field or to a match.....just.....please.....stop.

Edited by oaksoft

18 hours ago, oaksoft said:

("S"I hear they are about to trial an Atomic Particles Cup match between protons and electrons.

But what about the Morons?

Surely certain posters on here, ("Sh" and "FS" and one in "particleure" on the OS, should be allowed to participate.

Edited by stlucifer

22 hours ago, scrappy coco said:

If any sport could be doing with dumbing down it's American football, the average game lasts over 3 hours, yet the 

actual amount of play averages at 11 minutes....What a joke of a sport..

i3OtXsk.png

Booo! Boyyyy! :D