Train tickets

FTOF

Off to Edinburgh for a couple of days stay.

Can't be arsed driving through, plus alcohol will be getting consumed, so don't want to drive next day.

Open returns seem a tad expensive.

I seem to remember that you used to be able to buy and open return to Inverkeithing which was cheaper than an Edinburgh Waverley one.

Anyone know if this option still exists, before I trawl through cheap train ticket sites?

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Can't be arsed driving through, plus alcohol will be getting consumed, so don't want to drive next day.

I seem to remember that you used to be able to buy and open return to Inverkeithing which was cheaper than an Edinburgh Waverley one.

Anyone know if this option still exists, before I trawl through cheap train ticket sites?

Thats handy to know. im off there next week for a day out, id be interested to hear of this wee dodge!

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Short notice tickets are stupidly expensive, and too late for you now.

Trainline, according to someone who knows about this sort of shit, is the place to go.

We saved quite a bit a couple of weeks ago, and only booked a week before we went.

No idea about the Inverkeithing idea right enough.

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Wouldn't you have to get off at Haymarket.

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Think the Inverkeithing train leaves from Waverley.

You can save £3.40 by getting an off peak return to Inverkeithing, compared to the cheapest for Waverley (which is 2 low cost single tickets) and it's Haymarket it stops at, it's the train via Croy and Falkirk.

Edited by buddiecat

16 minutes ago, pod said:

and passes through Haymarket. :whistle

Twice.

Once on the way from Glasgow to Waverley and once on the way to Inverkeithing from Waverley.

So I could get off at Waverley.:P

Anyway, looks like £25 seems to be the going rate, other than BC's suggestion.

Edited by FTOF

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Twice.

Once on the way from Glasgow to Waverley and once on the way to Inverkeithing from Waverley.

Try getting through the barriers at Waverley with a Haymarket ticket and it will cost you a lot more than any cheap option.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Twice.

If you get off at Haymarket you will just catch the Inverkeithing train.....   hoad on a moment, your naw going  to Inverkeithing  :rolleyes::)

1 minute ago, buddiecat said:

Yes it is actually. Glasgow to Inverkeithing via Haymarket, it will not let you through the barrier at Waverley and the ticket guy will gladly empty your wallet for the difference.

Shame, the moths are quite at home in my wallet.

8 minutes ago, pod said:

If you get off at Haymarket you will just catch the Inverkeithing train.....   hoad on a moment, your naw going  to Inverkeithing  :rolleyes::)

I will be getting off at Haymarket as the taxi from there is cheaper to the Sheraton than it is from Waverley.:P

Guest TPAFKATS

Moneysavingexpert.com has a section on cheap rail travel. I've found a site called red spotted hanky to be good for cheap tickets.

Not sure there's much in the way of savings to be had on Glasgow to Edinburgh though. Citilink usually around half the price of Scotrail for an adult.