Cammy Smith

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Brilliant bit of business, I thought he was one that would have been beyond us, to be honest I even thought he might get a new deal with Aberdeen. Signing both him and MacKenzie on the same day is fantastic.

along with McGinn we have the makings of a very strong "spine" of the team,just an experienced goalkeeper to finish it off, cant wait til next season now.

1 minute ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Craig Samson just been released??

Undecided on that one. Sammy was excellent for us and all that but that was 4 years ago now and he's hardly covered himself with glory at Motherwell this season.

He's a good goalkeeper, but I wonder if we could do even better.

9 minutes ago, div said:

Undecided on that one. Sammy was excellent for us and all that but that was 4 years ago now and he's hardly covered himself with glory at Motherwell this season.

I believe we could.

Time will tell. I'm still waiting for Campbell Money's comeback anyway.

Goalies? O'Brien to continue as No1 for me, with the experienced Langfield as back up and continuing to work with O'Brien as coach. More continuity - Ross, Fowler, Langfield, Smith, MacKenzie, Baird.... keep it going, get Stelios and a few others from last season fixed up too IMHO.

The prospect of us actually keeping the majority of a well-performing squad together and the current season still has the cup final and playoffs to go is frankly astounding... usually we have bagged a manager, we require three quarters of a new team, and we're still trying to sign new guys after the first two games of the new season.

The way Joma Jack is going about things is highly encouraging. The signs are, for the first time in a long time, we aren't starting from scratch every bloomin' close season, and I see O'Brien and Langfield as being parts of the jigsaw I'd personally keep in place.

Can't wait for the new season... FFS, when's the last time we felt that way?

Edited by pozbaird

Agree with JB. I did not think Aberdeen would offer him a deal but was sure he would get better financial offers elsewhere. Dundee Utd played him in most games and he chose to leave not that Utd wanted him to go. Thought they may have went back in for him.

Could not happen. Aberdeen would have had to have made a contract offer to Smith to negotiate a Development Fee taking the risk that Smith would not sign it otherwise they would have a player they did not want. And I doubt St Mirren would sign away a possible £100k.

I thought that was likely the case however in fairness I think he's worth a lot more than £100k based on his performances for us last season.

The player turns 22 in August, so at that time Aberdeen would lose any entitlement to a development fee.
I guess that's probably why there isn't any requirement for us to pay any compensation. Might be wrong though!

Is comp not including the age off 22? Was that not the whole deal with Naismith because he turned 23 this summer? I know the situation is we didn't pay anything because he wasn't offered a contract just for future reference.

45 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Goalies? O'Brien to continue as No1 for me, with the experienced Langfield as back up and continuing to work with O'Brien as coach. More continuity - Ross, Fowler, Langfield, Smith, MacKenzie, Baird.... keep it going, get Stelios and a few others from last season fixed up too IMHO.

The prospect of us actually keeping the majority of a well-performing squad together and the current season still has the cup final and playoffs to go is frankly astounding... usually we have bagged a manager, we require three quarters of a new team, and we're still trying to sign new guys after the first two games of the new season.

The way Joma Jack is going about things is highly encouraging. The signs are, for the first time in a long time, we aren't starting from scratch every bloomin' close season, and I see O'Brien and Langfield as being parts of the jigsaw I'd personally keep in place.

I have a feeling Jack might not resign Stelios and O'Brien. I have a feeling he doesn't trust Stelios's character and we can do better than O'Brien

Smith and McKenzie were our 2 best players last season. Great signings

Edited by lenziebud

6 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

http://www.afc.co.uk/news/9629.php#.WSL5l8szXcs

Even more impressive that we've managed to get him when you read the section in bold.

I didn't realise that, at the age of 21, Cammy's already got 100+ games under his belt (most of them in the top league). More than Stevie Mallan has having been a regular with us for a few seasons. He's been around the Aberdeen first team since the age of 16.

Until you read 4 goals in 91 appearances. That explains it all.

I have a feeling Jack might not resign Stelios and O'Brien. I have a feeling he doesn't trust Stelios's character and we can do better than O'Brien

I'm pretty sure Stelios would have been offered terms. He's a lightning rod and Jack would be silly not to try to keep him. Problem is, Jack seems to trust Gary Irvine more at RB so Stelios' chances were limited in the last quarter of the season and are likely to be similar next season. He probably feels he's better than that.

Not sure it's a character thing.

My only concern is that the defence of O'Brien, Eck, Baird, MacK and Irvine leaked goals last season. We kept two clean sheets in the last ten matches of the season.

At the end of the day that might well be because we were playing a very attacking game and scoring plenty at the other end too, but still room for improvement for me.

In an ideal world we would bring in the Fish plus a slightly older keeper and have those two fight it out for the number 1 jersey with Langfield purely doing coaching.

Not sure we'd have the budget for that right enough.

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

Really we can do better than big billy and who would that be he is a young keeper that has been learning at a massive club so who can we get that is better 

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Is comp not including the age off 22? Was that not the whole deal with Naismith because he turned 23 this summer? I know the situation is we didn't pay anything because he wasn't offered a contract just for future reference.

Possibly something similar to the Mcgowan deal a few years back. No fee involved but if he was to be sold on then a % of the fee goes to Aberdeen, or it could be that they have simply released him on the basis that he wasn't in the long term plans.

You are right that the rule is that the cut off point is a player's 23rd birthday.

You are also right in that we don't pay Aberdeen because they didn't offer him a contract.

11 hours ago, pozbaird said:

usually we have bagged a manager, we require three quarters of a new team, and we're still trying to sign new guys after the first two games of the new season.

It's these bits that sum it up for me.

We have always been hesitant in the transfer market, apparently waiting to see what was going on; hedging our bets in case something better came along later. With Gus, especially, it felt like the transfer window was something that happened to other people. It made it feel like there wasn't a plan or strategy in place. Matters improved under Danny Lennon, summer of 'Beath aside.

Now it feels like the manager knows how he wants to play and is going out to get the players to do that. Maybe we'll miss out on a good player later on in the window because our squad is full, but if we're doing our business with confidence then I'm comfortable with that.

My only concern is that the defence of O'Brien, Eck, Baird, MacK and Irvine leaked goals last season. We kept two clean sheets in the last ten matches of the season.

At the end of the day that might well be because we were playing a very attacking game and scoring plenty at the other end too, but still room for improvement for me.

In an ideal world we would bring in the Fish plus a slightly older keeper and have those two fight it out for the number 1 jersey with Langfield purely doing coaching.

Think we could all have our eyes opened in a positive way with the quality of players the manager brings in. As good as some of those who arrived in January were it is a difficult time to recruit most effectively, we now have some transfer income to invest and have/will offload some well paid players who didn't contribute much at all leading to greater depth in the squad.

Another great signing for both the club and the player. Doesn't score a huge number of goals, but always looking to get forward, has pace and causes problems for opposing defences. Two years with a team playing positive and exciting football could kickstart his career and take him on to a bigger club.

Really looking forward to the start of the season. Jack has already managed to keep several players who were vital to us at the end of last season. Hope he can persuade a few quality new faces to join the Championship's most improved team! 

10 hours ago, div said:

Can't agree more with this, I think if the fish signs there will still be another goalkeeper. From what I'm gathering Langfield hasn't been signed up as reserve keeper, more emergencies and his focus being on coaching.  To be fair most clubs our level have a goalkeeper coach so imagine it's part of the budget.  I think Irvine, Eck and hopefully Stelios will give us good options at r/l back.  I imagine there will be at least one and maybe two new center backs coming in as well. 

Been a long time since I've been this positive about a new campaign.  

58 minutes ago, David Mc said:

Think we could all have our eyes opened in a positive way with the quality of players the manager brings in. As good as some of those who arrived in January were it is a difficult time to recruit most effectively, we now have some transfer income to invest and have/will offload some well paid players who didn't contribute much at all leading to greater depth in the squad.

Precisely. I remember saying ahead of January that I was skeptical about who would come in, because 'decent players wouldn't want a relegation on their CV'. Never been more happy to be wrong, and it does indeed make you wonder who we might attract when we're starting in a stronger position.

Plus, our club captain is the sort of player you'd want to play alongside. 

This could be feckin magic.

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

So thrilled about this signing.

A real sign that things are on the up and proof of how much the wee man must've enjoyed working with JR over the last few months.

Massive credit to all involved in making this deal happen. 

Indeed.

We should be thankful that the board appointed a manager who seems to be so highly rated by so many players that they want to come to our club instead of others.

I shudder to think who we could have ended up with instead of JR.