Squad: Season 17-18

11 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I'm thinking more along the lines of the U20s and first team players won't be retained so we aren't looking for them getting signed. What's wrong with that? more or less every other club do it. They've thrown out three names that won't be here got to think there will be more. 

Did i say or even suggest there was anything wrong with it ?

I `d rather concentrate on players with a future at our club rather than those who wont be here. Whats wrong with that ?

8 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Did i say or even suggest there was anything wrong with it ?

I `d rather concentrate on players with a future at our club rather than those who wont be here. Whats wrong with that ?

I didn't say there wasn't either. That's finethat you're happy with that, I was just saying I'd like to see who's leaving so we know... Strange thing to comment back to if you can see my point. You're not fussed about seeing an update... great, gold star!   

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:33 PM, bazil85 said:

I wonder when the club will come out with a statement with who is definitely going, including the U20s as well.  Would be good to know who we're waiting on. 

Just for you Bazil:

Dakota????

St Mirren can confirm that a number of players have left the St Mirren U20s with several being retained for the new season. 

Retained
Luke Barclay
Chris Henry
Cameron MacPherson
Andrew McDonald
Dylan McKendry
Mark Morrison
Conor O'Keefe

Released
Lee Fawkes
Craig Johnston
Greig McNaughton
Kalvin Orsi
Carlo Pignatiello
Daniel Scally
Ryan Watters
Reece Willison

Evan Horne and Dakota King have joined the 20s from Dunfermline and Partick Thistle respectively.

Darren Whyte will move up to the first team after agreeing a one-year deal, while Nathan Flanagan has also been offered a first team contract. 

Delighted we have offered Nathan Flanagan a full contract, my Annan supporting pals have raved about him this season. 

He's on holiday right now until next week and apparently will make a decision then. Dundee also rumoured to be interested but imagine we'd get a small amount of comp if he did go to them.

Goalkeeper

Stewart
Langfield

Defence

Baird
Buchanan
McKenzie
Eckersley
Irvine
Whyte

Midfield

McGinn
Magennis
Todd
Morgan
Mclear
Quinn
Kirkpatrick

Strikers

Stewart
Sutton
Smith

looks to be a decent squad especially for this stage of season and still said looking for a few more well played to jack & james COYS

I'd be very concerned if we don't bring in a few more experienced players.  Not convinced you can win the league with players of the calibre of Josh Todd - these lower league or former part-time guys could be good squad players but they are not exactly going to strike fear into the hearts of Falkirk and Dunfermline fans.

27 minutes ago, MotherwellSaint said:

Goalkeeper

Stewart
Langfield

Defence

Baird
Buchanan
McKenzie
Eckersley
Irvine
Whyte

Midfield

McGinn
Magennis
Todd
Morgan
Mclear
Quinn
Kirkpatrick

Strikers

Stewart
Sutton
Smith

looks to be a decent squad especially for this stage of season and still said looking for a few more well played to jack & james COYS

Happy so far with the team, Stewart up front looked like he banged in the goals at Albion and hopefully can do it up a level with better players behind him.  I know it's been said before but is Irvine a cert for next season? I know he had a one year option but not heard if it's 100% been triggered. 

15 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Happy so far with the team, Stewart up front looked like he banged in the goals at Albion and hopefully can do it up a level with better players behind him.  I know it's been said before but is Irvine a cert for next season? I know he had a one year option but not heard if it's 100% been triggered. 

What were Stewart's stats at Albion?

32 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I'd be very concerned if we don't bring in a few more experienced players.  Not convinced you can win the league with players of the calibre of Josh Todd - these lower league or former part-time guys could be good squad players but they are not exactly going to strike fear into the hearts of Falkirk and Dunfermline fans.

As you say,Players like Todd will be squad players. Every club needs a decent squad of players to see out the season. The experienced players you refer to would be looking to play every week and wouldn`t be interested in sitting on the bench if they were any good.

Agree re goalie and Stelios as he provides cover on both sides, not sure we will sign a right winger, we've got Magennis and Todd who both can play there and at a push Smith could cover too. I think if we are going for another striker (Loy) it means that Sutton will possibly be on his way out (never mind Clarkson still listed at club too).

It was an appearances trigger that activated an extra year. This kicked in at the turn of the year.

It would be very foolish to move Sutton on in my opinion!  Proven striker at this level, a great option to come off the bench.  Still in good shape as well, was surprisingly energetic in the run in last season.

In terms of the 4 lower league players we've brought in this week, we'd being doing okay with a 50% hit rate in terms of the impact they will make.

Something tells me the two defensive players might be more likely to challenge for regular starts, with Kirkpatrick and Stewart (fwd) featuring on a more occasional basis.

I hope I'm wrong but this smacks of a certain other manger's intake from predominately the lower league. Unless most of these lads are for the future I pray we have another Fergie as some suggest otherwise the feelgood factor could be replaced by the fear type.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Is Clarkson still under contract?  Surely we need to get this guy off the books asap.

No, he's out of contract. Not expected to be fit until sometime in 2018 by which time he will be 32 and will have scored 3 league goals in the last 3 years.

I'd say he's goosed.

27 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I hope I'm wrong but this smacks of a certain other manger's intake from predominately the lower league. Unless most of these lads are for the future I pray we have another Fergie as some suggest otherwise the feelgood factor could be replaced by the fear type.

The way I look at this is we already have the core of our team in place, most have re-signed or likely to re-sign. Jack has signed four players, one a center back proven at this level, one a goalkeeper that comes highly rated (regardless of level a goalkeeper is there to stop shots, command his area and distribute play) One is a midfielder that scored double digits last season and one is a proven goalscorer. Yes we're a step up but they're fighting for positions against already established players in our team, can't be a bad thing. 

I also believe summer activity is far from complete.