Squad: Season 17-18

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I hope I'm wrong but this smacks of a certain other manger's intake from predominately the lower league. Unless most of these lads are for the future I pray we have another Fergie as some suggest otherwise the feelgood factor could be replaced by the fear type.

There's differences this time though. For a start we're only asking them to step up one league, not two. Buchanan was already in the Championship anyway while Kirkpatrick had only dropped down for a season, where he was nominated for the player of the year. The goalie version of Ross Stewart seems to be pretty highly rated too. The only one I'm slightly concerned about is the striker Ross Stewart. He only got 12 goals in a lower league last season. Seemingly that was in 24 games so it's a good strike rate, however you then have to ask why he missed so many games? But he's only 20 so maybe worth the risk.

Some of the signings we've made in the last few years have had experience in the Championship or higher have been pish. Arguably better getting young guys who are hungry to do well and want to move up, be it with the club or a transfer.

Getting this much business done early is good. My only slight concern is we end up getting all our signings done for the start of the season and don't have any money free should something crop up in the final days of the window.

21 hours ago, bazil85 said:

He's on holiday right now until next week and apparently will make a decision then. Dundee also rumoured to be interested but imagine we'd get a small amount of comp if he did go to them.

Swap him for Loy

6 hours ago, MotherwellSaint said:

Goalkeeper

Stewart
Langfield

Defence

Baird
Buchanan G.
McKenzie
Eckersley
Irvine
Whyte

Midfield

McGinn
Magennis
Todd
Morgan
Mclear
Quinn
Kirkpatrick

Strikers

Stewart
Buchanan L.
Smith

looks to be a decent squad especially for this stage of season and still said looking for a few more well played to jack & james COYS

Title Winners

Edited by shull

There's differences this time though. For a start we're only asking them to step up one league, not two. Buchanan was already in the Championship anyway while Kirkpatrick had only dropped down for a season, where he was nominated for the player of the year. The goalie version of Ross Stewart seems to be pretty highly rated too. The only one I'm slightly concerned about is the striker Ross Stewart. He only got 12 goals in a lower league last season. Seemingly that was in 24 games so it's a good strike rate, however you then have to ask why he missed so many games? But he's only 20 so maybe worth the risk.
Some of the signings we've made in the last few years have had experience in the Championship or higher have been pish. Arguably better getting young guys who are hungry to do well and want to move up, be it with the club or a transfer.
Getting this much business done early is good. My only slight concern is we end up getting all our signings done for the start of the season and don't have any money free should something crop up in the final days of the window.

This time we also have a manager that knows the division and level that's required in it.

The 'summer of Beath' season for me was a mix of Danny underestimating the league and overestimating his previous players. That won't be an issue we would have with Jack.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

you r totally correct

albeit that McGregor was exceptional

9 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I hope I'm wrong but this smacks of a certain other manger's intake from predominately the lower league. Unless most of these lads are for the future I pray we have another Fergie as some suggest otherwise the feelgood factor could be replaced by the fear type.

Thee have no faith. Look what happened in the January window mate. We are bringing in young talent the clubs are gutted to lose. Bring on the new season TopCat is going to be gutted and pleased at the same time. 

This post sums up the negative tag St Mirren fans get smacked with. [emoji849][emoji849] why even!

58 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

This post sums up the negative tag St Mirren fans get smacked with. emoji849.pngemoji849.png why even!

Why is realism a negative? I haven't said it's all doom and gloom. I have simply pointed out a fact. We are going down the route of bringing in players from JR's previous club and other lower league players. This was done by a previous manager and it didn't work out too well. I reiterate. I hope JR is a gem in the Fergie mould and the players are a success. As far as us being tagged "negative". We are not alone in being cautious.

On 5/27/2017 at 0:44 PM, stlucifer said:

Why is realism a negative? I haven't said it's all doom and gloom. I have simply pointed out a fact. We are going down the route of bringing in players from JR's previous club and other lower league players. This was done by a previous manager and it didn't work out too well. I reiterate. I hope JR is a gem in the Fergie mould and the players are a success. As far as us being tagged "negative". We are not alone in being cautious.

How is anything you've said fact? Lennon signed players more or less tested two leagues below where we were playing, Ross has not. Lennon Signed six players from his old club, Ross has signed two. We have no idea if these players will step up but why be negative about it? Doesn't help anything. 

We have a midfielder who scored double digits last season, a highly rated young goalkeeper, a highly rated no nonsense center back and a striker for the future that's scored an average of 1 goal every 150 minutes. I don't see what benefit or correlation there is in comparing this to Lennon.

As far as I can see the players who's futures are still in doubt at the club (some more than others) are as below. Anyone got any additional info?

Stelios
Irvine - I've heard he's triggered an extra year but would like to see the club 100% confirm this
Clarkson
Loy, Storie, O'Brien and Davis - I know they were loans and Storie will very likely not be a signing target
Fjelde
Flannigan

Anymore for anymore?

4 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

As far as I can see the players who's futures are still in doubt at the club (some more than others) are as below. Anyone got any additional info?

Stelios
Irvine - I've heard he's triggered an extra year but would like to see the club 100% confirm this
Clarkson
Loy, Storie, O'Brien and Davis - I know they were loans and Storie will very likely not be a signing target
Fjelde
Flannigan

Anymore for anymore?

Irvine is confirmed - he triggered another year. I'll confirm it for you, 100%.

3 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Stelios
Clarkson
Fjelde
Flannigan

Anymore for anymore?

Like to see Loy return. But unless Dundee release him, I can't see it happening now. 

1 hour ago, pod said:

Like to see Loy return. But unless Dundee release him, I can't see it happening now. 

Naw, naw, naw. They give us Loy and we do not report them to the SFA for tapping our manager. Seems fair to me.

Assuming the reports of Samson joining up again are accurate, where does that leave us.

I reckon we need two strikers (Loy being one, ideally, and perhaps Reilly the other). Could do with cover in the full back area - someone who can play on either side would be great but not sure how realistic that it (Stelios, anyone....). Depending on how Magennis and Smith will be utilised, we could also still do a wide right midfield player.

On that reasoning, we'd be looking at a further 4 signings.

Am I missing anything obvious?

Goalies

Stewart
Langfield
Samson (?)

Defenders

Irvine
Eckersley
Buchanan
MacKenzie
Baird

Midfield

Quinn
Kirkpatrick
McGinn
Magennis
Morgan
Smith

Forwards

Stewart
Sutton

Think I've got everyone?

I've not added any of the young boys that have signed pro deals

Certainly light up front and a utility type defender would be ideal.

Pretty much agree with Drew, 2 forwards, someone to play wide right and another full back

Wonder if Ross would try to move Quinn on, hardly featured towards end of the season although not sure if he was 100% fit

Squad coming together quite well

1 hour ago, foxbar_bud said:

Goalies

Stewart
Langfield
Samson (?)

Defenders

Irvine
Eckersley
Buchanan
MacKenzie
Baird

Midfield

Quinn
Kirkpatrick
McGinn
Magennis
Morgan
Smith

Forwards

Stewart
Sutton

Think I've got everyone?

I've not added any of the young boys that have signed pro deals

Certainly light up front and a utility type defender would be ideal.

Pretty much agree with Drew, 2 forwards, someone to play wide right and another full back

Wonder if Ross would try to move Quinn on, hardly featured towards end of the season although not sure if he was 100% fit

Squad coming together quite well

You forgot Josh Todd. I would take Langfield out, he will only be used as an emergency. A few year ago did you consider Mathers as part of first team or just a coach?