Project Brave

34 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Meeting the criteria would have cost us money but would it have improved the end product?

I doubt it. Our Academy is doing well and shows every sign of continuing to do so.

Not over the moon  about not being included but not overly concerned.

The current funding from the SFA will only last another 3 seasons.

From then on the SFA will focus funding on the 8 they have chosen as "Project Brave".  St. Mirren will then have the hard choice to make of keeping Academy funding at its current level or (in all reality) cutting it.

Five of these "elite" academies will be within 20 miles of Paisley. They will have the financial clout to hoover up all the best available talent leaving others scrabbling around for the remainder.

6 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

From then on the SFA will focus funding on the 8 they have chosen as "Project Brave".  St. Mirren will then have the hard choice to make of keeping Academy funding at its current level or (in all reality) cutting it.

Five of these "elite" academies will be within 20 miles of Paisley. They will have the financial clout to hoover up all the best available talent leaving others scrabbling around for the remainder.

We look well f**ked. Rangers have zero pedigree as an academy. However, even Rangers can't mess up with two teams in the leagues. This whole Project Brave stinks. 

3 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I see your point EAB and had thought that out.  However - Despite my status as a fervent fan - I realistically see as being just outside the top group in any case. Therefore, don't change our present winning formula - at least for now. I also sem to recall that Lewis Morgn and others had been with one of the bigger clubs (Rangers) but was jettisoned before joining in our academy sytem. I think this may continue.

5 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I see your point EAB and had thought that out.  However - Despite my status as a fervent fan - I realistically see as being just outside the top group in any case. Therefore, don't change our present winning formula - at least for now. I also sem to recall that Lewis Morgn and others had been with one of the bigger clubs (Rangers) but was jettisoned before joining in our academy sytem. I think this may 

Edited by magnus

16 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Meeting the criteria would have cost us money but would it have improved the end product?

I doubt it. Our Academy is doing well and shows every sign of continuing to do so.

Not over the moon  about not being included but not overly concerned.

How can you not be overly concerned?? In 3 years time our academy could find itself fighting against the "elite" for talent. Talent that will be encouraged to make the step up to the elite levels. Our club is literally dependant on youth development. 

Im certainly concerned with this , however here are the facts to any potential parent please look at how many academy recruits made into the first team of elite clubs in the past years ? Now look how many made the first team squad at St Mirren. As a parent i know what i would choose its not hard. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

I think you need to take a stepback and see this for what it is. That being another ill conceived SFA journey of indulgence throwing money at something the likes of Celtic dont really agree with (they have already said they will carry on doing their own thing regardless) just so they can say.... "well we did something"

at the moment the big clubs hoover up all the avaialbke talent they can anyway, the likes of us unearth a few gems, and scavenge on the young players the old firm etc reject, we dust them down, invest in them and we get an above average return. In all honesty the elite group would have been a burden we dont need, better to do our own thing, get the academy trust fully functioning and carry on doing what we do best.

Project Brave like its predecessors will crash and burn in two years, then the handwringing will start again, then the inept SFA will throw whatever they have left at the next ill-conceived f**k up they dream up.

I wonder if Skyview would fancy their name emblazoned all over our academy for the right deal..?

13 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Im certainly concerned with this , however here are the facts to any potential parent please look at how many academy recruits made into the first team of elite clubs in the past years ? Now look how many made the first team squad at St Mirren. As a parent i know what i would choose its not hard. 

That's always been my opinion - look at Lewis Morgan just turned 21 and approaching 100 appearances with Saints - John McGinn and Kenny McLean fit this scenario too. 

If you look at age group  international squads it would appear the OF have much of our young talent  on their books :rolleyes: but how many of them have gone to make 100 first team appearances? Celtic are a lot better on this front but what has happened to all those Rangers "wunderkinds" we've heard of over the years - even the Record&Sun must be wonder (sic)! I think the jump is too great for all but the truly exceptional. The worst thing about the proposals is that we may very well see these players released and being cut from the elite clubs aged 20/21 or so and arriving at us diddies with a BillyBigTime attitude.

All in all a continuation of the SFA's dismal record, although IIRC Morgan & McLean came from Rangers so the worst case scenario might not come to pass, I guess it'll be a matter of separating the 2M's from the 2H's - Hardie & Hutton! :specs

You'd be surprised how many parents are still so very blinkered.

Maybe it should be academy players who have to apply for funding rather than being given to "elite clubs" (feckin' Hamilton, really?). It could end up, players being asked to pay / pay difference for their training contract so same level of funding is kept; that payment could then be refunded to them if / when a club comes into buy them at a later stage; that would give players an incentive (like they really should need one).

Either that or you cut the academy all together, how much you reckon that would save a year - more than we get in transfers I suspect.

1 hour ago, melmac said:

You'd be surprised how many parents are still so very blinkered.

Maybe it should be academy players who have to apply for funding rather than being given to "elite clubs" (feckin' Hamilton, really?). It could end up, players being asked to pay / pay difference for their training contract so same level of funding is kept; that payment could then be refunded to them if / when a club comes into buy them at a later stage; that would give players an incentive (like they really should need one).

Either that or you cut the academy all together, how much you reckon that would save a year - more than we get in transfers I suspect.

On the one hand yeah it gripes me too, on the other they do seem to have a good record in this area altho' I'm basing this on Easton/McAthur/McArthy sales from 5 or so years ago.

4 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Serco always had a route back in and countless mugs ready to wedge them in.

Hamilton? not so much 

A lot can and will change before this all changes over.  However it will be a shitfest anyway

Correct, anything the SFA do is either for OF or one of them............. Mackay is a prime example of the diddies at the helm, like picking Jack.............. Our game wuill stay in the dark ages until they go, but they wont cause the OF like them working on their behalf

Guest TPAFKATS

So it's 2 elite academies in Edinburgh, 2 in Glasgow, 2 in neighbouring towns that are suburbs of Glasgow, 1 in Ayrshire about 20 miles down the motorway from Glasgow and 1 in Aberdeen to cover the rest of Scotland. f**king shambles as per from the sfa.

Given the amount of cash the ugly sisters rake in from season tickets/match day ticket sales those 2 should have been excluded from any SFA funding as they've more than enough money coming in to fund their own youth system (whether they choose to would be up to them). Surely awarding funding based on results i.e. youths that have been developed into first team players would make more sense?

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

It would seem , due to financial constraints, we didn't apply for elite status.

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/club-news/1303-project-brave-statement

Good to get a statement from the Club and interesting to learn that the cost of achieving elite status (5 x say £40,000 salary) doesn't stack up for Saints. I'm sure Gordon has done all the sums and an additional £200k cost on our £3m ish turnover is obviously significant. I would have liked just a wee bit more comment on whether - money aside- our Club believed in Project Brave and in particular the concept of more money going to the Old Firm and allowing them Colts teams in the leagues - the latter seemingly allowing the Old Firm to stockpile talent in a way that might, in future,  prevent us from picking up their careless castoffs. Having said that, maybe the fact that one of Scotland's best academies chose  not to even apply is comment in itself.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Weird that in order to get the maximum funding, you have to hire more stuff as if you can afford to hire them surely you aren't in desperate need of more funding.

Even weirder is the headless chicken approach of Dundee United. They seem to have had a last minute panic, scrambled around trying to hire the required 5 extra staff and then didn't get invited. Shambles of a club.

7 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

I think you need to take a stepback and see this for what it is. That being another ill conceived SFA journey of indulgence throwing money at something the likes of Celtic dont really agree with (they have already said they will carry on doing their own thing regardless) just so they can say.... "well we did something"

at the moment the big clubs hoover up all the avaialbke talent they can anyway, the likes of us unearth a few gems, and scavenge on the young players the old firm etc reject, we dust them down, invest in them and we get an above average return. In all honesty the elite group would have been a burden we dont need, better to do our own thing, get the academy trust fully functioning and carry on doing what we do best.

Project Brave like its predecessors will crash and burn in two years, then the handwringing will start again, then the inept SFA will throw whatever they have left at the next ill-conceived f**k up they dream up.

I wonder if Skyview would fancy their name emblazoned all over our academy for the right deal..?

I think you might be spot on. Like your Skyview idea as well. Type of thing that could deliver a tangible result and some bragging rights ie performance to elite status thanks to Skyview plus 5 jobs created. Like it LPM.