Project Brave

Guest TPAFKATS
Good to get a statement from the Club and interesting to learn that the cost of achieving elite status (5 x say £40,000 salary) doesn't stack up for Saints. I'm sure Gordon has done all the sums and an additional £200k cost on our £3m ish turnover is obviously significant. I would have liked just a wee bit more comment on whether - money aside- our Club believed in Project Brave and in particular the concept of more money going to the Old Firm and allowing them Colts teams in the leagues - the latter seemingly allowing the Old Firm to stockpile talent in a way that might, in future,  prevent us from picking up their careless castoffs. Having said that, maybe the fact that one of Scotland's best academies chose  not to even apply is comment in itself.

We could've gotten away with giving roles to existing staff. For example, there is a requirement to employ a Head of Recruitment - surely Fitzy could do that [emoji33]

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

We could've gotten away with giving roles to existing staff. For example, there is a requirement to employ a Head of Recruitment - surely Fitzy could do that emoji33.png

needs to be minimum number of full-time roles including some roles we already have filled. Couldn't get away with duplicating role profiles. Like your thinking though 'This is Janice she's our dinner lady/ Under 18s coach.' :lol:

What really concerns me about project brave is this was only meant to be one part of it. Why are they so quiet on everything else? 

• Colt teams 
  • Reserve league 
  • Development loans 
  • Summer youth football
  • Coach development

Personally I'm massively against the Colt idea and the way development loans currently work (never mind putting them up). Surely there should be much more transparent, regular updates on the progress from the people running our game? And much more fan engagement. SFA/ SPFL are jokes. 

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

needs to be minimum number of full-time roles including some roles we already have filled. Couldn't get away with duplicating role profiles. Like your thinking though 'This is Janice she's our dinner lady/ Under 18s coach.' :lol:

What really concerns me about project brave is this was only meant to be one part of it. Why are they so quiet on everything else? 

• Colt teams 
  • Reserve league 
  • Development loans 
  • Summer youth football
  • Coach development

Personally I'm massively against the Colt idea and the way development loans currently work (never mind putting them up). Surely there should be much more transparent, regular updates on the progress from the people running our game? And much more fan engagement. SFA/ SPFL are jokes. 

Couldn't agree more Bazil85

I think Project Brave as a whole will be lucky still to be a thing in three years. No project is sustainable without the commitment of stakeholders. five out of 42 ain't close to enough. The other three teams outside the big five that are a part of it are doing it under protest as well. 

Yet more proof we need change at SFA and SPFL level.  

The management of Scottish football is, and has been for quite some time now, a feckin disgrace.

Bring back reserve team football, and banish these arseholes ( Reagan and Doncaster in particular) to Engerlish Conference Football,.

St Mirren are punching well above our weight and have been for some years in youth development, and now we are expected to mortgage the family jewels to participate in the utter travesty that is @ Project Brave)

f**kemall, the Cnuts!

Until youngsters are instilled with the belief that they are equally able with both feet and develop a high level of close control we are doomed as a footballing nation. Watching the Brazilians the other night at Wembley it was apparent that they are comfortable receiving the ball from any direction and are able to pick out a pass or shot with either foot. I don't think they are naturally gifted enough that this is raw talent, I believe this is learned and anyone given the training and practise can learn these skills.

Maybe I'm wrong but it really bugs me that quite good players will not touch the ball with the wrong foot and are therefore more easily defended against.

Guest TPAFKATS

We could've gotten away with giving roles to existing staff. For example, there is a requirement to employ a Head of Recruitment - surely Fitzy could do that [emoji33]

needs to be minimum number of full-time roles including some roles we already have filled. Couldn't get away with duplicating role profiles. Like your thinking though 'This is Janice she's our dinner lady/ Under 18s coach.' [emoji38]
  • Colt teams 
  • Reserve league 
  • Development loans 
  • Summer youth football
  • Coach development

My attempt at humour wasted on you. You don't recall Fitzy's previous 'success' at recruitment?

Until youngsters are instilled with the belief that they are equally able with both feet and develop a high level of close control we are doomed as a footballing nation. Watching the Brazilians the other night at Wembley it was apparent that they are comfortable receiving the ball from any direction and are able to pick out a pass or shot with either foot. I don't think they are naturally gifted enough that this is raw talent, I believe this is learned and anyone given the training and practise can learn these skills.
Maybe I'm wrong but it really bugs me that quite good players will not touch the ball with the wrong foot and are therefore more easily defended against.

Or watched the under 21s against Ukraine.

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, bazil85 said:

Good article on Daily Record page as well today saying Project Brave isn't brave enough. Mentions Germany enforcing rules to have a minimum of six home grown players play. Should be the first thing implemented by the SFA. Too scared of the Old Firm to do it though. 

You mean we should practice positive discrimination?

Professional athletes - 6 hours training almost every day.

Professional swimmers - 6 hours training almost every day.

Professional tennis player - 6 hours training almost every day.

Junior Tennis players (16 years old) - 3 to 4 hours training almost every day.

Professional footballers in Scotland - 2 hours a day 4 days per week ?????

It seems absolutely crystal clear what the problem is. We don't need Project Brave, we need Project Dontbealazybastard.

We don't have full time players in Scotland. Every one of them is part time at best. That is why we cannot compete with the world elite. This was not a problem 40 years ago because everyone else was working a couple of hours a day as well. The rest of the world has moved on and trains harder but we've stayed where we are.

There is nothing difficult about understanding this. Until this lazy and lax attitude changes we will continue to watch other nations pass us by.

1 hour ago, melmac said:

You mean we should practice positive discrimination?

It's nothing to do with discrimination. The rule would be players trained at club before the age of 21 (Home grown players does not mean Scottish nationality players). The players could be from anywhere the world over so absolutely nothing to do with discrimination. Naturally most of those players would be Scottish because we're in Scotland but even if they weren't given new time in education rules, the players would likely be Scotland eligible anyway. 

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Professional athletes - 6 hours training almost every day.

Professional swimmers - 6 hours training almost every day.

Professional tennis player - 6 hours training almost every day.

Junior Tennis players (16 years old) - 3 to 4 hours training almost every day.

Professional footballers in Scotland - 2 hours a day 4 days per week ?????

It seems absolutely crystal clear what the problem is. We don't need Project Brave, we need Project Dontbealazybastard.

We don't have full time players in Scotland. Every one of them is part time at best. That is why we cannot compete with the world elite. This was not a problem 40 years ago because everyone else was working a couple of hours a day as well. The rest of the world has moved on and trains harder but we've stayed where we are.

There is nothing difficult about understanding this. Until this lazy and lax attitude changes we will continue to watch other nations pass us by.

Great point. 

Guest TPAFKATS
No, no I got it. I thought it was pretty clear I got your comment was tongue in cheek given my dinner lady follow up comment?.. [emoji38]

Your attempt at humour was clearly wasted on me...

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I've not watched many professional footballers training in Scotland however I'd be surprised if it was as little as 2 hours a day. Mibees twenty years ago.

It's likely more than that but it's still far from full-time hours. We're miles behind other countries. 

It's nothing to do with discrimination. The rule would be players trained at club before the age of 21 (Home grown players does not mean Scottish nationality players). The players could be from anywhere the world over so absolutely nothing to do with discrimination. Naturally most of those players would be Scottish because we're in Scotland but even if they weren't given new time in education rules, the players would likely be Scotland eligible anyway. 

You make your point well but it is still technically "positive discrimination" as it affects the career prospects of older players and favours younger players in order to achieve a favourable outcome.