Project Brave

How is it discrimination EK? it does not favour younger over older as more than 50% of the team is still >21 and do not have to have been trained at the club. All it means that clubs need to invest in young players the same way many companies outside of football are encouraged to take on apprentices does that also discriminate against older workers as if they did not have so many apprentices more older workers might be employed?

What it would do is much like other youth schemes would make clubs hopefully spend more effort and expertise in bringing through younger players with better skills 

1 minute ago, Swiss_Saint said:

How is it discrimination EK? it does not favour younger over older as more than 50% of the team is still >21 and do not have to have been trained at the club. All it means that clubs need to invest in young players the same way many companies outside of football are encouraged to take on apprentices does that also discriminate against older workers as if they did not have so many apprentices more older workers might be employed?

What it would do is much like other youth schemes would make clubs hopefully spend more effort and expertise in bringing through younger players with better skills 

It is discrimination if the rules say "you can't play that player because you don't have enough young players in your team". You can argue away to your heart's content but at the end of the day if the rules say you can only have so many of "this" type of player in your squad then it is discriminating against others who do not fit "this" criteria.

I did not say it is a bad thing.

I did not say that I am against it.

I simply stated that technically speaking, it IS "positive discrimination".

If any player of any age cannot get a game because players of another age group must be fielded, that is discrimination.

If the rule that caused it is in place to try and rectify an imbalance or improve things then it is "positive discrimination".

I am clarifying the term, not commenting on the rights or wrongs of it.

Baz stated Germany previously had a rule stating X amount of homegrown players had to start games. If your whole team / club is homegrown, fine. If your team / club has players (like a lot do these days) from other EU nations, that's positively discriminating against them - shouldn't do it.

Baz stated Germany previously had a rule stating X amount of homegrown players had to start games. If your whole team / club is homegrown, fine. If your team / club has players (like a lot do these days) from other EU nations, that's positively discriminating against them - shouldn't do it.

Are you suggesting that selection influenced by Nationality is positive discrimination but selection influenced by age isn't?

18 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

You make your point well but it is still technically "positive discrimination" as it affects the career prospects of older players and favours younger players in order to achieve a favourable outcome.

I bet you're fun at parties...:lol: Only two questions that need to be answered in regards to a technicality when we're speaking about discrimination

1. Is it illegal?

2. Is it unethical? 

Answer to both is no. There is no ethical aspects of encouraging youth players and having rules that help their development and it's completely within the rules of the game (zero legal impact)

I see the point your maybe trying to make but bringing up discrimination for me is just a barrier. 

17 hours ago, Desnold said:

It is discrimination if the rules say "you can't play that player because you don't have enough young players in your team". You can argue away to your heart's content but at the end of the day if the rules say you can only have so many of "this" type of player in your squad then it is discriminating against others who do not fit "this" criteria.

By your definition of discrimination that means having under 21 teams, under 18 teams are discriminating against older players. Not allowing a Brazilian to play in the Scottish national team is discrimination on someones nationality.

I think you need to investigate the difference between a rule and a legal barrier. Changing a rule does not mean something is discriminatory. Rules exist for Under 21s so they can exist for first team. It's a game we're talking about here. Made the point earlier, teams can sign as many players from wherever they want at whatever age they choose. That doesn't change. It would simply be inputting new rules. 

Very simple to grasp I thought...  

1 minute ago, shull said:

Good Scouting around Junior and Amateur Clubs. 

Reserve Teams to blood new players. 

Sortit 

Sortit aye? Like the way we were a world force when the reserve league was in place? Need to be doing much more to match other nations (and not just the biggest football ones) the world over. 

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Positive discrimination is still discrimination...the clue is in the word discrimination. emoji6.png

I think my point is... What's your point? Does it in anyway put up a barrier to the suggestion we could implement rules to encourage better youth development? 

Get my torch out for the next Scotland Under 21 game at St Mirren Park :lol: Age discrimination :P

Get the young yins into Reserve Teams. 

Knock the colour out their boots and the gel out their hair.

They will learn feck all playing other Teams of the same age. 

Hundreds upon hundreds of Academy weans through the System just to produce a couple of gems every other year. 

Complete waste of money. 

9 minutes ago, shull said:

Get the young yins into Reserve Teams. 

Knock the colour out their boots and the gel out their hair.

They will learn feck all playing other Teams of the same age. 

Hundreds upon hundreds of Academy weans through the System just to produce a couple of gems every other year. 

Complete waste of money. 

I agree with you, that would help. too many delicate little flowers in youth football. 

But that doesn't go far enough. Need to be doing more and investing heavily in children football. They need to be trained and nurtured properly so they don't end up either being prima donnaor or on the bottle. Other nations are doing far more and greater success, we need to mirror some of their practices. 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

By your definition of discrimination that means having under 21 teams, under 18 teams are discriminating against older players. Not allowing a Brazilian to play in the Scottish national team is discrimination on someones nationality.

I think you need to investigate the difference between a rule and a legal barrier. Changing a rule does not mean something is discriminatory. Rules exist for Under 21s so they can exist for first team. It's a game we're talking about here. Made the point earlier, teams can sign as many players from wherever they want at whatever age they choose. That doesn't change. It would simply be inputting new rules. 

Very simple to grasp I thought...  

I would think that in this context it stops being a "game" when we're talking about professional employment and employment rights.

3 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I would think that in this context it stops being a "game" when we're talking about professional employment and employment rights.

Which we're not talking about. Not in any way shape or form. 

As I've previously stated, the rules does not impact a club signing players. The club could go out and sign 50 Chinese players with an average age of 67 if they so wished. The rules would simply be players trained at the club for X amount of time before their 21st birthday. Nothing to do with employment law, nothing to do with discrimination. 

These rules already exist in our game, England and even the Champions league. Just for less players than my suggestion. I'm not sure what people aren't getting :lol:

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So clearly you have no idea how to solve the problem either if you think this is what will do it.

You're only reason being here is attempting oneupmanship on every Forumster and clearly failing. 

Had enough of your  weird shite from the past so clear off out my face. 

2 hours ago, shull said:

Shut up weirdo. 

When you have ever seen a Match ? 

1 hour ago, shull said:

You're only reason being here is attempting oneupmanship on every Forumster and clearly failing. 

Had enough of your  weird shite from the past so clear off out my face. 

I am genuinely flabbergasted that you managed to post a 4 syllable word.

I honestly didn't think you had it in you.

Well done.

You needn't worry about me being in your face. The only way you'd get me to come near your face would be for you to agree to take a month's worth of breath mints first.

Edited by oaksoft

8 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I bet you're fun at parties...:lol: Only two questions that need to be answered in regards to a technicality when we're speaking about discrimination

1. Is it illegal?

2. Is it unethical? 

Answer to both is no. There is no ethical aspects of encouraging youth players and having rules that help their development and it's completely within the rules of the game (zero legal impact)

I see the point your maybe trying to make but bringing up discrimination for me is just a barrier. 

Football ain't a special case, try the Equality Act.