Ross Stewart

If as seems we are trawling the lower leagues for 'stars' to join the team it might be worth treating them all with a bit of caution as we know how the 'Summer Of Beith' turned out for Danny L and his then signings!

not all of them may be capable of making the step up to a side that is targeted on promotion to the premier league.

13 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

If as seems we are trawling the lower leagues for 'stars' to join the team it might be worth treating them all with a bit of caution as we know how the 'Summer Of Beith' turned out for Danny L and his then signings!

not all of them may be capable of making the step up to a side that is targeted on promotion to the premier league.

Yeah, tend to agree with this. I think we all know we need a squad, not just a team, and it's unrealistic to expect the entire squad to be potential Prem players. It is also a truth that, to win the league, you need the spine of your team to comprise players who really ought to be plying their trade at a higher level. We absolutely, 100% had this in 2006. Gary Mac, McGinn, Morgan, Magennis, and Smith are all a good start in that regard, but we need more, especially up front.

That said, I think a smattering of lower-league talent is acceptable, and I absolutely trust Jack's judgement.

The Summer of Beath was different in that the manager went to his last Club and signed half of them. And they were two Divisions lower than us at the time.

JR has only signed one guy from Alloa and barring a penalty miss he would have been playing in the same League as us this season anyway so maybe not a huge step up. And Stewart has now two full seasons of regular playing under his belt and has been capped at U17, U18, U19 level - not bad for a 22 yo keeper.

All signings are a gamble but so far Jack is winning more than he is losing.

Kirkpatrick was on the shortlist for the player of the year So it seems fair enough taking a punt on him (and Ryan if he was to come). A Stenny fan says Stewart was the best keeper in the division last season so, again, that seems fair enough.

We're only asking them to step up one league rather than to the Premiership and Kirkpatrick has already played at this level.

This 'summer of beath' stuff is a bit of a myth.

For a start, we were a top flight club back then, so signing players from Cowdenbeath meant we were delving 2 divisions down.

We signed 3 first team players from Cowdenbeath. One of them, Darren McGregor, was an absolutely fantastic player.

Of the other 2, the Wardlaw signing was obviously dodgy from the start as the guy was in his 30s and had no higher league pedigree. That signing was doubted by most on these very forums. The other, McQuade, seemed to be signed as a squad player and turned out to be not very good.

If we hadn't signed Gareth Wardlaw then I don't think signing League One players would be an issue!

Its also worth remembering that we also signed a few other players that summer who did well, eg Samson, Van Zanten, Tavernier, McAusland, McGowan (and subsequently Goodwin).

This time around we have signed 2 guys from just the league below us. One of them has banged in 17 goals this season. He's already played in the Championship. Had Rory Loy not scored at Easter Road we would have been facing Kirkpatrick in a play off. He was nominated for the team of the year. Ross Stewart has spent the past 2 seasons in said league. He had the 3rd best goals against record last season despite being in a side battling against relegation. He served his apprenticeship at top flight Motherwell and has international youth caps.

Both these guys are young and have pedigree.

The signing of Gareth Wardlaw should be forgotten!

Edited by mcdowell76

23 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The Summer of Beath was different in that the manager went to his last Club and signed half of them. And they were two Divisions lower than us at the time.

JR has only signed one guy from Alloa and barring a penalty miss he would have been playing in the same League as us this season anyway so maybe not a huge step up. And Stewart has now two full seasons of regular playing under his belt and has been capped at U17, U18, U19 level - not bad for a 22 yo keeper.

All signings are a gamble but so far Jack is winning more than he is losing.

Totally agree, up to Ross who he picks, and in that we have to trust. But he is picking up a number of lower league players he worked with in the past its not just the one. My comment was to urge caution, not to over egg the expectancy on all these lower league signings. Some will flourish, others will in time, some won't.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Totally agree, up to Ross who he picks, and in that we have to trust. But he is picking up a number of lower league players he worked with in the past its not just the one. My comment was to urge caution, not to over egg the expectancy on all these lower league signings. Some will flourish, others will in time, some won't.

Agree about urging caution. Jack has only signed two lower league players so far and has no past experience with Stewart as far as I can tell. I like that his signings are young and hungry for success - reminds me of Fergie's Furies :)

And as an aside we actually paid a fee for the 4th signing from Cowdenbeath that summer - Peter Bradley - anyone remember him???? And we paid a fee for Mooy that season, never played him, and he is now worth a fortune. Signings are a gamble!

22 minutes ago, Sonny said:

- Peter Bradley - anyone remember him???? 

Nope.  You sure we paid for him??

Mooy is a sore one, paid money for him, didn't make the most of him, now likely to be sold for 8 to 10m.

1 hour ago, mcdowell76 said:

This 'summer of beath' stuff is a bit of a myth.

For a start, we were a top flight club back then, so signing players from Cowdenbeath meant we were delving 2 divisions down.

We signed 3 first team players from Cowdenbeath. One of them, Darren McGregor, was an absolutely fantastic player.

Of the other 2, the Wardlaw signing was obviously dodgy from the start as the guy was in his 30s and had no higher league pedigree. That signing was doubted by most on these very forums. The other, McQuade, seemed to be signed as a squad player and turned out to be not very good.

If we hadn't signed Gareth Wardlaw then I don't think signing League One players would be an issue!

Its also worth remembering that we also signed a few other players that summer who did well, eg Samson, Van Zanten, Tavernier, McAusland, McGowan (and subsequently Goodwin).

This time around we have signed 2 guys from just the league below us. One of them has banged in 17 goals this season. He's already played in the Championship. Had Rory Loy not scored at Easter Road we would have been facing Kirkpatrick in a play off. He was nominated for the team of the year. Ross Stewart has spent the past 2 seasons in said league. He had the 3rd best goals against record last season despite being in a side battling against relegation. He served his apprenticeship at top flight Motherwell and has international youth caps.

Both these guys are young and have pedigree.

The signing of Gareth Wardlaw should be forgotten!

You forgot Jon Robertson now at Alloa a year later I think and of course Peter Bradley as the 4th signing from Cowdenbeath that infamous summer. Was a disastrous episode with only McGregor worth the step up.

Edited by Danny

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

You forgot Jon Robertson now at Alloa a year later I think and of course Peter Bradley as the 4th signing from Cowdenbeath that infamous summer. Was a disastrous episode with only McGregor worth the step up.

Aye, forgot about Robertson. I'd discounted Bradley as he was a youth player.

But, as I explained, the guys Jack Ross has signed have some pedigree and a track record and have come from only 1 division below us. If we were currently in the SPL and signing someone who had played for a side that had just failed in the play offs, eg Falkirk and a keeper from a mid table Championship side, I don't think we would be having this discussion?

Edited by mcdowell76