Ross Stewart

1 hour ago, mcdowell76 said:

This 'summer of beath' stuff is a bit of a myth.

For a start, we were a top flight club back then, so signing players from Cowdenbeath meant we were delving 2 divisions down.

We signed 3 first team players from Cowdenbeath. One of them, Darren McGregor, was an absolutely fantastic player.

Of the other 2, the Wardlaw signing was obviously dodgy from the start as the guy was in his 30s and had no higher league pedigree. That signing was doubted by most on these very forums. The other, McQuade, seemed to be signed as a squad player and turned out to be not very good.

If we hadn't signed Gareth Wardlaw then I don't think signing League One players would be an issue!

Its also worth remembering that we also signed a few other players that summer who did well, eg Samson, Van Zanten, Tavernier, McAusland, McGowan (and subsequently Goodwin).

This time around we have signed 2 guys from just the league below us. One of them has banged in 17 goals this season. He's already played in the Championship. Had Rory Loy not scored at Easter Road we would have been facing Kirkpatrick in a play off. He was nominated for the team of the year. Ross Stewart has spent the past 2 seasons in said league. He had the 3rd best goals against record last season despite being in a side battling against relegation. He served his apprenticeship at top flight Motherwell and has international youth caps.

Both these guys are young and have pedigree.

The signing of Gareth Wardlaw should be forgotten!

Must have missed us signing him :rolleyes: :P

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Agree about urging caution. Jack has only signed two lower league players so far and has no past experience with Stewart as far as I can tell. I like that his signings are young and hungry for success - reminds me of Fergie's Furies :)

And as an aside we actually paid a fee for the 4th signing from Cowdenbeath that summer - Peter Bradley - anyone remember him???? And we paid a fee for Mooy that season, never played him, and he is now worth a fortune. Signings are a gamble!

Was it not Wardlaw we ended up paying a fee for? Lennon tried to sign him as he thought there was a loophole and he was still out of contract and I think we may have ended up paying a token sum for him.

As HSS said, he scored the goal that secured our safety so while he couldn't be described as a success he did play an important role.

3 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Aye, forgot about Robertson. I'd discounted Bradley as he was a youth player.

But, as I explained, the guys Jack Ross has signed have some pedigree and a track record and have come from only 1 division below us. If we were currently in the SPL and signing someone who had played for a side that had just failed in the play offs, eg Falkirk and a keeper from a mid table Championship side, I don't think we would be having this discussion?

I agree with the points you make Just wanted to remind us all of how bad the Beath  experience actually was!

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

As HSS said, he scored the goal that secured our safety so while he couldn't be described as a success he did play an important role.

Aye, but if we'd signed someone half decent instead of Wardlaw in the first place then maybe we wouldn't have been in relegation trouble in the first place!

There's value to be had in the lower leagues. Andy Robertson went from Queens Park to the EPL inside 2 seasons and is now an international player.

Darren McGregor hasn't done too badly for himself either. Blair Spittal another who has done well.

Jack knows Kirkpatrick inside out, he obviously thinks he can get something there. The goalkeeper went down a level to get gametime, and now he's got his reward.

I don't see any real risk here. We're chasing another League 1 player, a striker, but we're also courting two strikers who are with Premeirship clubs.

5 hours ago, div said:

My son has Gareth Wardlaw's shirt from the win at Pittodrie where he scored the winner, hanging in a frame on his bedroom wall.

I won't hear a bad word against him!

Wardlaw was a trier. I liked his attitude and he contributed. I could name a ton of players who did neither.

6 hours ago, div said:

There's value to be had in the lower leagues. Andy Robertson went from Queens Park to the EPL inside 2 seasons and is now an international player.

Darren McGregor hasn't done too badly for himself either. Blair Spittal another who has done well.

Jack knows Kirkpatrick inside out, he obviously thinks he can get something there. The goalkeeper went down a level to get gametime, and now he's got his reward.

I don't see any real risk here. We're chasing another League 1 player, a striker, but we're also courting two strikers who are with Premeirship clubs.

There is value in the lower leagues , we brought Frank McAvennie from Johnstone Burgh . . It might be a long time before we get another player from Keanie Park tho'. .

7 hours ago, div said:

so we not interested in Andy Ryan div?if we in for the other Stewart at Albion??

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Wardlaw was a trier. I liked his attitude and he contributed. I could name a ton of players who did neither.

I actually thought Wardlaw was just starting to get up to speed with full time football towards the end of his time with us.

10 hours ago, div said:

This is hugely exciting something special is being built at our club under the stewardship of a special manager. Reading our assistant manager update was really pleasing on how important it is to have our under 20 coach involved with the first team. I'm buzzing with all the building blocks Jack Ross has implemented have seen nothing like it before. Mr Ross will go far in the game you only have to listen to players who have played under him.

5 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

This is hugely exciting something special is being built at our club under the stewardship of a special manager. Reading our assistant manager update was really pleasing on how important it is to have our under 20 coach involved with the first team. I'm buzzing with all the building blocks Jack Ross has implemented have seen nothing like it before. Mr Ross will go far in the game you only have to listen to players who have played under him.

As his reputation grows, (if he is successful), so will the eagerness of players to join him in his quest. We've slid down the snake, now we may be climbing the ladder.

6 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Ross has breathed new life into our Club which had been flagging for sometime . I feel that as fans , we had come to accept mediocrity under previous managerial appointments. Jack Ross can inspire players and get the best from them and they obviously enjoy working with him , which would appear to be a rare commodity at our level since we have been waiting a long time to get the feel good factor back. .